Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2018, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The question remains how small those adjustments (for parameter values "1" and "-1") can be, but if it is a usably small adjustment then the door is open to focus stacking and automated lens calibration.
Would it be possible to create an fully automatic af fine tune correction for a lens like with the current Nikon cameras?
How to use the AF Fine-Tune function - Nikon Service
Maximum sharpness: Nikon's automated AF Fine Tune explained: Digital Photography Review
really important firmware suggestions - PentaxForums.com

05-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Would it be possible to create an fully automatic af fine tune correction for a lens like with the current Nikon cameras?
No. The CameraDevice.focus(int adjustment) method is used for direct numeric control of the AF motor, presumably in live view. In regards to menu-level stuff, configuration settings look to be limited to Date/Time.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-17-2018 at 12:32 PM.
05-17-2018, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #63
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No. The CameraDevice.focus(int adjustment) method is used for direct numeric control of the AF motor, presumably in live view. In regards to menu-level stuff, configuration settings are limited to Date/Time and a set of capture settings in live view.

Steve
This is a great idea! Perhaps Ricoh can/will expand on the API in the future. Looking at the current docs, the functionality is a bit limited. But, perhaps some hidden functionality will be discovered over time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2018, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't wait to try this out. I'm a software dev by trade. I really want to make a focus stacker. Set up camera in tripod, aim macro lens, take 50 shots very finely focus adjusted out, stack!

I don't think my K3 works with the software, will have to wait until I get a camera that plays with the API.

This is fantastic Ricoh has released this!

05-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I can't wait to try this out. I'm a software dev by trade. I really want to make a focus stacker. Set up camera in tripod, aim macro lens, take 50 shots very finely focus adjusted out, stack!
CameraDevice.focus(int adjustment)...Woo! Hoo!

Steve
05-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #66
Veteran Member

No GRII ) :
05-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #67
Pentaxian

I don't think my K3 works with the software, ...
I think it could be worth trying it with the K-3, as the wired (USB) connection protocol may not have changed. The current compatibility list may be specific to cameras supporting both wireless and wired connections.

05-17-2018, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

Fully automated support won't be possible (as there doesn't seem to be a way to affect the AF micro-adjustment value directly), but if the "Adjust focus" functionality supports very fine control over the current focus then semi-automated support would be possible.

Most of the painful work could be done in an automated fashion leaving the photographer to only make one or a few AF micro-adjustments via the camera's menu.

Perhaps, in the future, Ricoh may even extend the API to include ways to influence the AF micro-adjustment values?!?
05-17-2018, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
No GRII ) :
As I said before, in WIFI (android) code there are references to GRII and WG-M2 and K-S2, not only metioned K1/K1II, KP and K70, so maybe someone will try to check it and it will work?

I haven't checked USB code, because my K50 is not supported for sure, but who knows. Maybe just mentioned by Ricoh camreas are officially supported, and other should work too, but just are not supported?
05-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #70

Very good news

I hope that LUMINAR, ON1, DARKTABLE and so on, will integrate the pentax cameras in the thetering part of their software, as they do with canon/nikon/sony cameras

I also hope to see GODOX and other studio strobe makers will endly be able to deliver flashes which could now also work with pentax camera in P-TTL and HSS mode

Cactus IV could also implement his trigger so that pentax flashe could also pilote remonte canon and nikon flashes in ttl modes and not only in manual mode

Very happy to see that RICOH has recognized (with this free available sdk) that a camera which could not be used with third party software is something that a buyer take in account at the moment he decide to buy ... "what to do with a camera which could not be used as a canon/nikon/sony camera because the sdk were not available."
05-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #71

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
I hope that [...] DARKTABLE [...] will integrate the pentax cameras in the thetering part of their software
Not going to happen. Darktable is GPL licenced and the SDK licence is explicitly not compatible with GPL. IANAL, but the licence text seems to exclude wrappers as well (licence can be revoked, if “the Application Software is invisible to end users”). Why the licence is not more permissive, I don't know.
05-18-2018, 12:27 AM   #72
Banned

I don't think my K3 works with the software, will have to wait until I get a camera that plays with the API.

This is fantastic Ricoh has released this!
Oh just think of the time it takes the PRIME IV to calculate on that stack. ....
05-18-2018, 02:51 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for iOS
RICOH Camera Wireless SDK for Android™
Compatible camera models:
PENTAX 645Z *
PENTAX K-1 Mark II
PENTAX K-1
PENTAX KP
PENTAX K-70 **
Nice! I’d like to play with the iOS version of this!

But first I need a new camera...
05-18-2018, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
I hope that LUMINAR, ON1, DARKTABLE and so on, will integrate the pentax cameras in the thetering part of their software...
I also hope to see GODOX and other studio strobe makers will endly be able to deliver flashes which could now also work with pentax camera in P-TTL and HSS mode

Cactus IV could also implement his trigger ...
While I do agree that Ricoh's move here is promising, I think everyone should be realistic about their expectations. I don't foresee a great rush by third-party vendors to take advantage of the new SDK's to better serve Pentax users.

Experience has shown that Pentax users simply aren't very important to most third-party vendors. I don't expect that to change because of the release of a SDK or two.
05-18-2018, 04:04 AM   #75
Veteran Member

What's even more exciting is seeing so much people willing to develop something out of theses SDK's !
I have no idea what this will bring to us Pentaxian and I have no idea of the time frame either but I feel proud to be in such a community !