Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2018, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 to K-1 mkII upgrade service available

Have a look.

K-1 Upgrade Service Now Available

To setup form for performing the surgery, http://www.precisioncamera.com/ricoh/index.html
Category = K-1 upgrade
Model = Upgrade to K-1 MkII

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 05-19-2018 at 11:23 AM.
05-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/images/180205-K-1-Upgrade-Service-Terms-Conditions-RIAC.pdf
Article 4. Service Warranty
1. If within six months after a camera has been upgraded under this Service, a malfunction
occurs on a component provided under this Service and RICOH determines that repair of
the component is required, the repair will be provided free of charge.
2. Notwithstanding the provision of the preceding paragraph, a service fee will be charged for
repairs in cases where cause of the malfunction corresponds to any of the following.
(1) Malfunction or damage due to misuse (operating errors, etc. other than those listed
in the Operating Manual)
(2) Malfunction or damage due to repair, modification or disassembly performed by
an entity other than a RICOH-designated service provider
(3) Malfunction or damage due to fire, natural disaster, earthquake, use of non-
specified power source (voltage, frequency), pollution or other such causes
(4) Malfunction due to deficient storage conditions (storage in location where there is
high temperature or high humidity, a location where there is insecticide or other
harmful chemicals, etc.), deficient maintenance (sand, dust, liquid fog, battery
leakage, etc. inside the camera body)
(5) Malfunction or damage due to falling, impact, pressure, vibration, submersion,
sand, etc.
(6) Replacement of depleted or worn component, or replacement of soiled component
(7) Case where the service slip issued when the customer requests the camera body be
upgraded under this Service is not presented or attached
3. This Service is provided on the condition that customers apply for the Service understood
the specifications of an upgraded product. This Service does not include any sort of work
to return the requested item once it has been upgraded to pre-upgrade product specifications.
Also, in no case whatsoever is RICOH obligated to a customer to perform such work.
05-19-2018, 11:06 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Article 4. Service Warranty
Translation:
We warranty the work for six months. We do not warranty stuff other than the work. We do not warranty your satisfaction with what the upgrade does.

Seems fair enough, though it is not clear who is responsible for replacing stars or fur that might have been missing or eaten as a result of the upgrade.

Steve
05-19-2018, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Liquid Fog would void the warranty.

Seriously? Liquid Fog?

I want to see the warranty claim rejection due to evidence that ‘liquid fog’ was present and caused the failure.

Isn’t liquid fog, uhhh, rain? Or is just plain fog aerosol rain, so maybe that’s OK?

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 05-19-2018 at 11:27 AM.
05-19-2018, 11:25 AM - 4 Likes   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Liquid Fog I would void the warranty.

Seriously? Liquid Fog?

I want to see the warranty claim rejection due to evidence that ‘liquid fog’ was present and caused the failure. Isn’t liquid fog, uhhh, rain?

.:
I guess that's like a liquid fart, which would definitely void the warranty (among other things).
05-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Service request form

Have a look.

K-1 Upgrade Service Now Available

To setup form for performing the surgery, Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair
Category = K-1 upgrade
Model = Upgrade to K-1 MkII

RONC
05-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fog is a cloud touching the ground. Clouds are made of very small water droplets. Ergo, fog is a liquid.

05-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Fog is a cloud touching the ground. Clouds are made of very small water droplets. Ergo, fog is a liquid.
Fog is very small water droplets > Very small water droplets is aerosol water > Rain is liquid fog > Liquid Fog is aerosol rain.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.
05-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Fog is very small water droplets > Very small water droplets is aerosol water > Rain is liquid fog > Liquid Fog is aerosol rain.
Liquid fog could certainly rain on your parade.
05-19-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #10

I was all about this upgrade until I saw what it did to sharpness.

05-19-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I was all about this upgrade until I saw what it did to sharpness.
Not all the K-1 mkII reviews have been negative. You might want to check out what some of the positive users have to say.
05-19-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After attempting to follow as much "discussion" as one could stomach and examine as many samples as available, I think the rabbit hole of noise versus detail is pretty hairy. Unless there's something really untoward in the hoping soon to be released review here at PF, I'm looking forward to improved AF, some "cleaner" files to work with, and a chance to use something approximating pixel shift anywhere I feel like without having to worry about always carrying a tripod in my hip pocket. Only real question is do I want to hold off a little while the techs practice a bit more on the first few through the door?....

Last edited by clickclick; 05-20-2018 at 06:02 AM.
05-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting.Turns out the K-1ll image quality is so close to the K-1 the upgrade decision will hinge on AF improvement and whether one needs or wants HHPS.
05-19-2018, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting.Turns out the K-1ll image quality is so close to the K-1 the upgrade decision will hinge on AF improvement and whether one needs or wants HHPS.
AF improvement would pull a lot more sales than ISO 900000
05-20-2018, 07:22 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last fall I sent my K3 to Precision for cleaning which was included with the extended warranty. When the camera came back Liveview would not work. After a frustrating amount of time I was finally able to get a hold of Precision. They insisted it was fully functional when it was sent back, but it was not. By this time the warranty had expired and if I wanted to send it back I would have to pay for it. I decided to just fix it myself. After taking the camera apart I found the pad for the Liveview button was off one of the two pins and rotated about 30 degrees. Obviously this happened when they put it back together. There is no way they tested my camera before sending it back. They screwed it up and refused to correct. If you live in the USA I would recommend just buying a K1-ii. I would not trust Precision with working on a toy camera let alone my K1. For those who do send their cameras in I hope they have a better experience then mine. If Richoh really cared about the USA market they would open repair services to other companies.