Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Samsung Plans On Buying Out SanDisk

Samsung Electronics considers buying SanDisk - Austin Business Journal:

I think the growth of Samsung is generally good news for K-Mount. No matter what brand.

Imagine when Pentax or Samsung comes out with a Super Fast shutter speed Dslr (say 15-20 fps at full resolution),and there is a 30gb sandisk SD card to match
that speed without delay at all...

09-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I saw this a few days ago and I was wondering if it would have any affects on Pentax. Samsung is a very large company so I doubt it would do much. Except what you say that the general growth of Samsung is good.
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's almost like a SSD / Flash memory monopoly. I dont know how good that would be.
09-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
It's almost like a SSD / Flash memory monopoly. I dont know how good that would be.
In fact Sandisk has a couple patents licensed by Samsung (and others) when they build flash. It means Samsung is fed up paying Sandisk and the buyout of Sandisk could be pretty quickly paid for.

09-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I actually like Samsung products in general, and did before ever having a Pentax.

This is cool news, and hopefully Samsung works wonders with SanDisk products
09-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

cool news. I too like their products, well their SD is better IMO than lexar, but their tradeshow booth staff are rather rude to the average person I have noticed... once you get behind the closed doors than your set
09-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds good to me, Samsung is aiming to be a serious player in the market.

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I actually like Samsung products in general, and did before ever having a Pentax.

This is cool news, and hopefully Samsung works wonders with SanDisk products
I've always been fond of Samsung products too. Great design, and seem very functional.
09-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry guys but this deal is more about all devices that use flash memory than anything specific about digital cameras. And least of all I don't see how it helps digital cameras by give you less choice for flash memory providers.

09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Sorry guys but this deal is more about all devices that use flash memory than anything specific about digital cameras. And least of all I don't see how it helps digital cameras by give you less choice for flash memory providers.
Sandisk isn't a flash cell manufacturer. It is not realted to flash cells manufacturing but patents/economies of scale.
09-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

I'm using Sandisk Etreme III cards, perhaps if these buyout goes ahead, on proving your a Pentax owner (sort of Samsung ish in parts) I'll get huge discounts on cards.