05-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Ricoh extend expired time of GRII

e-Sertifikasi | Sertifikat

Attached Images

05-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is this? Import registrations? Might the dates represent a set period after the last renewal?

Steve
05-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
ogl
Banned

I can say that Pentax's dealer in Russia dropped a price for GRII and said about sales of last stock.
05-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
It's just certificate of applicability. ))) Each product has such certificate.
It's just the date of expired of such certificate.

When I import equipment to Russia, I have such certificate too. The period could be 1, 3 or 5 years. Or even one-time document.

This period means that I can import this equipment with such name and the manufacturer's name like written in certificate during 1, 3 or 5 years. And nothing else.

05-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is this? Import registrations? Might the dates represent a set period after the last renewal?

Steve
Yes. It's just valid period of import certificate for such product in this country. Indonesia...It seems to me.
05-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Use-By dates?
Self-destruct timer?
05-31-2018, 03:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So they expect to sell it a while longer? meaning no gr III this year? Or was the previous certificate expired and three years is the minimum renewal period? Why isn't the K-70 in the list? It is still current, maybe it isn't being sold in Indonesia?

The GR II was announced on June 17 2015, so it would expire right about now. That would be the reason for a new certificate.

05-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The GR II was in intermittent supply in Japan for a long time, but now it seems to be fully in stock again. I think this is a continuation of wifi certification, so perhaps this indicates that it will not be discontinued just yet.

At the same time, Ricoh has stepped up GR marketing a bit by starting a new blog and giving a few hints in interviews. So they don't seem to be backing away from the GR. In interviews at CP+, Takashi Arai was saying that the GR would not likely be called GR III. There are multiple (admittedly tenuous) rumors of a new GR camera coming out later this year.

So putting this together, I feel a reasonable explanation is that something else branded GR will come out, that will not directly replace the GR II. What that could be is anyone's guess, but options I think are possible are a change in sensor size or focal length of the lens, a zoom compact or an ILC camera based on the GR design.
05-31-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So they expect to sell it a while longer? meaning no gr III this year? Or was the previous certificate expired and three years is the minimum renewal period? Why isn't the K-70 in the list? It is still current, maybe it isn't being sold in Indonesia?

The GR II was announced on June 17 2015, so it would expire right about now. That would be the reason for a new certificate.
You are no fun and neither am I

Not being obsessed with camera news, I had forgotten about this particular clue source used by those that are. Indonesia requires registration and testing of all radio-equipped devices before allowing import. A new registration is considered early warning of a new model and a renewed registration is taken as a hint that an existing model will not be replaced any time soon. The Pentax R01010 on the second line caused quite a stir in April when the registration occurred until someone remembered the K-1II. The registration renewal of the GR II should not have resulted in any interest beyond a note that the camera is not officially discontinued and that Ricoh intends to continue importing to Indonesia at least through the end of June, 2018.

Steve