Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Saw this now (...just 3 months late! XD ). Good news!

If you can stomach the risk, there's a hacked firmware for our K-30, that makes it the same as a K-50... perhaps you've already read it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/343703-running-k-50...re-k-30-a.html
Read it just now. I hope a K-5 version of that back can be modified to work on our cameras. K-5 users from this thread need to bump that one. I already asked the question.

Thanks LensBeginner!

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

06-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Read it just now. I hope a K-5 version of that back can be modified to work on our cameras. K-5 users from this thread need to bump that one. I already asked the question.

Thanks LensBeginner!

I think it can't be done.
The point is the K-30 and the K-50 are virtually the same camera, only with a different external appearance and different firmware, while the K-5 is a completely different camera.
One people tried that with a K-01, as you've probably read, and it bricked the camera. He had to have it serviced.
So I wouldn't try that if I were you...
06-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The point is the K-30 and the K-50 are virtually the same camera, only with a different external appearance and different firmware, while the K-5 is a completely different camera.
One people tried that with a K-01, as you've probably read, and it bricked the camera. He had to have it serviced.
I'm really surprised at that. I had heard that the K-30 and K-01 are virtually identical - I wonder what {other than K-01 lacking mirror} is actually different. I've noticed that no aperture control issues has been reported for the K-01.
06-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Yeah, I wouldn't try it myself since where I live there isn't even a service center. Just wishful thinking on my part that it could be done.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm really surprised at that. I had heard that the K-30 and K-01 are virtually identical - I wonder what {other than K-01 lacking mirror} is actually different. I've noticed that no aperture control issues has been reported for the K-01.
Well, it should basically work like a camera on live view, and lack the TTL metering and autofocusing units and thus the split mirror. All done through the sensor. I guess the lack of these units is what drives the camera crazy.

06-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nah, the sensor whould be the same (K-5, K-01, K-30, K-50), but if you think about it the firmware has to be different: the K-01 only has a (rudimentary) AF-C in CDAF, live view is different (no level on the K-01), K-01 has no optical viewfinder, K-30 has a different AF switch (three way), more buttons (the RAW button), two dials, U1 and U2 memory banks...
06-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
The focus may work, but I don't think the aperture control will, leaving you with wide open as your only choice

Edited to say: confirmed on my K5, focus is identical as is IQ but aperture control is not working. The F stop numbers change on the displays but the aperture itself does not stop down, fooling the camera's meter into wrong exposures
Well that's a bummer....thanks for that info. Hopefully they will come up with a firmware update to correct it, but I'm not too worried, I bought mine for my K3
06-13-2018, 05:35 AM   #67

Photos: Gallery
K-500 is also very similar to K-50 and AFAIK modified FW doesn't work on it, too. So, those small differencies really matter. Well, some of them do.

06-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerebron Quote
K-500 is also very similar to K-50 and AFAIK modified FW doesn't work on it, too. So, those small differencies really matter. Well, some of them do.
Yeah... K-30 and K-50 are probably the very same camera, just repackaged.
The K-30 design was much talked (and much mocked) at release.
I call it the "bat-camera"... with a stubby black lens mounted it kinda resembles the 1989 Batmobile, the one with the round turbine on the front...
06-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Find the lens you love and buy the camera it goes on.
It's amazing it's taken Pentax this long to get to this kind of issue. Everyone else faced it years ago. The Nikon, Canon or Sony lens they love, doesn't work on the new body they bought.
There are some things about Pentax catching up that are not all that pleasant. KAF4 being one of them. It's necessary, but unpleasant.
06-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Find the lens you love and buy the camera it goes on.
It's amazing it's taken Pentax this long to get to this kind of issue. Everyone else faced it years ago. The Nikon, Canon or Sony lens they love, doesn't work on the new body they bought.
There are some things about Pentax catching up that are not all that pleasant. KAF4 being one of them. It's necessary, but unpleasant.
But for some reason, Pentax hasn't chosen to release any other KAF4 lenses.
06-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #71
Pentaxian

The D FA* 50mm f/1.4 is a KAF4 lens.
06-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Thank you. With all the talk, I had missed that detail.
06-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As will be every new lens with a small enough focusing block to be moved by the Pulse motor.
06-13-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As will be every new lens with a small enough focusing block to be moved by the Pulse motor.
Is KAF4 tied to the PLM focusing method? I didn't think the two were tied together. I thought KAF4 merely specified electronic aperture and some type of internal focus motor - My assumption being that larger focus groups would be driven by a different method like DC or something like a ring motor.
06-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is KAF4 tied to the PLM focusing method? I didn't think the two were tied together. I thought KAF4 merely specified electronic aperture and some type of internal focus motor - My assumption being that larger focus groups would be driven by a different method like DC or something like a ring motor.
You're probably right. it was just coincidence the first one was also the first PLM.