Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #166

Somebody needs to sue DPR for defamation, maybe that will quell the negative press.

06-06-2018, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Was the K-3ii a "not very compelling upgrade"??
No it wasn't. I owned the K-7, K-5, K,3, & K-1. The K-3 II was a slight upgrade. The K-1 II is a slight upgrade. I skipped the K-5II, K-3II and I will skip the K-1II. If anything I prefer the K-1 over the K-1 II.
06-06-2018, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
No it wasn't. I owned the K-7, K-5, K,3, & K-1. The K-3 II was a slight upgrade. The K-1 II is a slight upgrade. I skipped the K-5II, K-3II and I will skip the K-1II. If anything I prefer the K-1 over the K-1 II.
In my opinion the K-1 looks nicer than K-1ii, in the corner with the name. It's just more sleek.
06-06-2018, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #169
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
Somebody needs to sue DPR for defamation, maybe that will quell the negative press.
This site gets more surreal by the day.

06-06-2018, 04:32 PM - 4 Likes   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
This site gets more surreal by the day.
In the US, we still have the First Amendment which allows freedom of speech and press, and as long as the author was writing an editorial and not false and misleading facts or news with the proven intention to harm, he can say that it is his personal belief that the sky is falling.

Iʻm pretty sure there are similar laws in the UK and Canada.

If this site gets more surreal, itʻs probably just a reflection of our world off site.
06-06-2018, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Regarding marketing - as Dan was saying a coupe of post back, YouTube is huge in terms of presence - Thomas Heaton, for example has over a quarter of a million subscribers for landscape photography - there are loads of landscapers YouTubing - none of them use Pentax - on the principle of 'be the change you want to see' - are any of us going to start a YouTube channel using Pentax kit?
I have been considering a YouTube channel in which I am shooting with Pentax primarily, All of my current gear is Pentax I am heavily invested in both APSC and Full Frame.
I would love to grab a second Pentax full frame so that I can record myself on one while shooting with the other but the issue is that Pentax has not yet put strong video features into their cameras.

If I want to start a YouTube channel focusing on working in the field or in my studio with Pentax than I need to buy a non Pentax camera and Lenses to do so which means spending a lot more money than just purchasing an updated Pentax with decent video features (which I deeply wish for but it seems like few pentaxians are interested in so I don't know if Ricoh will take video more seriously in the future or not). I don't care about super high fps but a decent bit rate and better codecs is a must have.
It is a bummer as a pro to see many Pentaxians say Pentax should not invest in video features in there cameras on the pretense of not wanting to pay more for features they won't use, but this thought process ignores the reality of the power of independently produced video content that could promote the brand and build interest and perceived value in the Pentax brand.
I am sure I am not the only pro out there who would love to share video content created on their Pentax but subpar video quality is not something a pro wants to represent themselves through.
The K1 video features are great for personal use as I am sure the KP is as well but you cannot build an online brand/presence with the current video features.

I hope in the future we see Pentax flagships in higher price ranges with a fuller feature set for video shooters.
I know for many, Pentax is a pure photographic tool, but I think we are already near perfect in that regard with the K1 (yes a new af module is desired by most and is likely in the works but aside from that video is the only other area that Pentax clearly has a lot of room for growth)

I think it would be great to see Pentax flagships that are in the $1600- 2k range for apsc and the $2500-4k price range if it allows them to make up for more R&D costs and maybe some to set aside for marketing.
I would put my money down for that because I recognize the value in what Pentax offers in reliability, fast access to all settings, and weather resilience, add pro video features and improved af and you have a system that is a more valuable and competent tool than the competitors.
If spending more on new cameras means helping my preferred camera company to grow and compete you can bet I will put my money where my mouth is.

I am not one of those people saying Pentax needs to make a camera with the same features as a 5Dmk4 or A7Riii or Fuji XH-1 or whatever. I am just saying that If pentax put pro video features in their cameras I would gladly pay for it instead of picking up another system. Bonus being pro's and media creators could share videos shot with their Pentax on places like YouTube in return generating more interest in the brand. The value of a decent video set in a camera goes beyond providing customers with a camera that offers more features, it creates a camera that allows for independent promotion of said purchased camera by it's users.

I love my Pentax gear and want to pay for these features in the next Pentax flagships, but if I decide to pursue video and this is not available to me than I have to consider a second system instead of making future investments in new Pentax equipment.

I am totally fine with non-flagships excluding higher video functions (not everyone can/wants to spent that money), but I encourage forum members to consider the implications before asking Pentax to continue to ignore video content producers when designing future Flagships.
06-06-2018, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #172
mee
Veteran Member

DPR gives less than glowing review of Pentax camera, Pentaxians are not happy. DPR sees flaws in their review, after much Pentaxian frothing, and makes an effort to correct the issues. Pentaxians are still not happy! Instead, they go berserk!

Doing so by questioning DPR staff's education, intellect, and objectivity... throw in some conspiracy claims.. mix in a little defamation lawsuit suggestion.. and wham-o you have Pentaxians on forums today.

If anything, I think all the Pentaxian's negativity at perceived slights or negativity on the brand are more detrimental to the brand than the so-called 'doomsayers' they're lambasting. We come off as hostile and unreasonable. We should be trying to build bridges with sites like DPR, not burn them.

I mean if you want to keep negative press on the forefront of everyone's minds, keep talking about it continually. If you never let it fade... then what do you expect? And if you consider the brand as really important to your life somehow, then being a so-called 'ambassador' means having good manners when interacting with people with which you disagree. Not suggesting lawsuits.. I think we are on average an older group of folks but we act worse than the teens sometimes when we don't get our way (in this case a glowing review of our precious Pentax).

U.S. First Amendment applies to the government, in keeping them from establishing laws (in our case) to censure citizens. Does not apply to online camera review sites reviewing a .. camera or even a camera brand. They tested the camera, they reported what they observed. To argue a legal claim against it would be a huge uphill battle.

TL;DR: I think some here are collectively losing their minds over small potatoes. We're talking about cameras reviews here.. not anything important in your lives.

06-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
SDM apart?

Best to leave fraught analogies alone, really.
My SDM lenses work perfectly and without conversion to screw drive.
06-06-2018, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Pecora Quote
I have been considering a YouTube channel in which I am shooting with Pentax primarily, All of my current gear is Pentax I am heavily invested in both APSC and Full Frame.
I would love to grab a second Pentax full frame so that I can record myself on one while shooting with the other but the issue is that Pentax has not yet put strong video features into their cameras.
Any of the Pentax bodies will be fine, even overkill, for Vlogging, which has notoriously poor guy-in-his-bedroom production values. And you already have the lenses.
06-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Any of the Pentax bodies will be fine, even overkill, for Vlogging, which has notoriously poor guy-in-his-bedroom production values.
Indeed. Fancy video capabilities are probably overkill for YouTube, considering the fact that so many people view YouTube (and the rest of the web) on mobile - 70% of all time spent on YouTube is now conducted via mobile device, according to some 2017 data.

There are people like MKBHD who use 8K Reds for their YouTube videos (in-studio, but not when vlogging), so that's something everyone should aim for in YouTube video production, I guess. But at the moment I don't think there are even any mobile devices capable of displaying full-res 4K video, let alone anything higher, so one doesn't need to set the bar too high for YouTube video.
06-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #176
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. Fancy video capabilities are probably overkill for YouTube, considering the fact that so many people view YouTube (and the rest of the web) on mobile - 70% of all time spent on YouTube is now conducted via mobile device, according to some 2017 data.

There are people like MKBHD who use 8K Reds for their YouTube videos (in-studio, but not when vlogging), so that's something everyone should aim for in YouTube video production, I guess. But at the moment I don't think there are even any mobile devices capable of displaying full-res 4K video, let alone anything higher, so one doesn't need to set the bar too high for YouTube video.
Yep. If I was starting from nothing and deciding 'Self Important Vlogging Is the Go!' a Panny GX85 would be a first leg up.

But if I already had any kind of camera, Canon, Nikon, Pentax or whatever, and lenses for it, I'd use that.
06-06-2018, 10:56 PM - 5 Likes   #177
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

From many years back... dp review! dp review!
06-06-2018, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Any of the Pentax bodies will be fine, even overkill, for Vlogging
No, they aren't. NOONE is using Pentax as a vlog camera, because for VLOG you need at least decent AF during video (face detection), have 60p (not "i") for b-rolls and have better mbps in terms of bitrate.
06-06-2018, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Pecora Quote
If I want to start a YouTube channel focusing on working in the field or in my studio with Pentax than I need to buy a non Pentax camera and Lenses to do so which means spending a lot more money than just purchasing an updated Pentax with decent video features (which I deeply wish for but it seems like few pentaxians are interested in so I don't know if Ricoh will take video more seriously in the future or not). I don't care about super high fps but a decent bit rate and better codecs is a must have.
It is a bummer as a pro to see many Pentaxians say Pentax should not invest in video features in there cameras on the pretense of not wanting to pay more for features they won't use, but this thought process ignores the reality of the power of independently produced video content that could promote the brand and build interest and perceived value in the Pentax brand.
I am sure I am not the only pro out there who would love to share video content created on their Pentax but subpar video quality is not something a pro wants to represent themselves through.
The K1 video features are great for personal use as I am sure the KP is as well but you cannot build an online brand/presence with the current video features.
Very few if any landscape vloggers actually do b-roll with their main camera because they want to be seen using it - most use a go-pro or something on a gimbal for hand-held walkabout plus drones for location overviews and maybe a slightly better panasonic or something on a tripod - but most start out with just a go-pro on a gorillapod or similar - yes it's extra outlay, but it's a sort of business - people's early vlogs are much lower quality than their later ones as money and sponsorships come in and experience grows. Thomas Heaton had experience as a videographer (more than as a photographer) before he started out, and he's still got better at both with time. It's personality and content that matter far more than equipment - and a lot of the personality is just enthusiasm to inspire others to want to watch and go and do likewise. The important thing, like with any business, is to start small and not over-invest -but to keep at it.

Last edited by ffking; 06-06-2018 at 11:58 PM.
06-07-2018, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheGrandPrixKid Quote
a respected publication, by a knowledgeable and respected photojournalist
It sounds like neither of these is the case. Theorising in print on the future of a company in order to, ignorantly or maliciously, hurt it are not behaviours which generate respect. This falls into the worst category of Pentax-bashing - the one where supposed professionals who have a duty to at least try to be impartial try to damage Pentax and their market share.

I don't buy photography magazines as I've yet to see one that isn't just a poorly disguised advertising vehicle for the big brands and there is far better information available online. If I did buy them then I suspect this one would now be on my boycott list.
Closed Thread