Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2018, 02:37 PM - 5 Likes   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yet Pentax keeps moving forward.

The dire predictions about why they shouldn't be competitive keep going on year after year. Everyone knows why they will fail. No one knows why they haven't. You folks really ought to give it a rest, until at least a few of your predictions come true.

I mean truly, how long are you going to keep on criticizing everything Pentax. The track record when concerned with the impossibility of Pentax's existence are proved wrong, day aft day, year after year.

10 years of observation would conclude, you really don't know a damn thing.

It doesn't matter how many reasons people have thought of over the years why Pentax is going to fail , Pentax is still here. The big reason would be Pentax is still selling in Japan. it doesn't matter how poorly Pentax is doing in the U.S. or Romania, as long as they keep their Japanese market share intact, they have a base to work from, and all these dire predictions are worth nothing.

I know certain other countries like to think they are important, but apparently a company like Pentax can survive without them. And some people can make money just selling what Pentax gear is surplus to Japan. Whether or not Pentax actually wants those markets is unclear. I suspect countries like Canada are kind of a liquidation house for left over product, where they can liquidate inventory without a lot of investment.

As per usual, forum members are completely over-estimating their importance in the Pentax world view.

Last edited by normhead; 06-09-2018 at 03:26 PM.
06-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

The dire predictions about whyr shouldn't be competitive keep going on year after year. Everyone knows why they will fail. No one knows why they haven't. You folks really ought to give it a rest, until at least a few of your predictions come true.

I mean truly, how long are you going to keep on criticizing everything Pentax. TIyr track record when concerned with the impossibility of Pentax's existence are proved wrong, day aft day, year after year.

DIng! Ding! Ding! Winner, winner chicken dinner! You have won the internets today Norm. That and 3 bucks will get you a coffee and a few Timbits!
06-09-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes,Sony is the Hare! Take a guess about Pentax.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
That and 3 bucks will get you a coffee and a few Timbits!
Its upside down here,but what is a Timbit?
06-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 09:03 AM ----------

Its upside down here,but what is a Timbit?
A donut hole.

06-09-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #260
Pentaxian

OK,thanks.

We have Timtams with coffee,i thought they may have renamed them for the topside dwellers!
06-09-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And, yet, the tortoise won the race.

- Craig
06-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #262
Veteran Member

The dire predictions about why they shouldn't be competitive keep going on year after year. Everyone knows why they will fail. No one knows why they haven't. You folks really ought to give it a rest, until at least a few of your predictions come true.

I mean truly, how long are you going to keep on criticizing everything Pentax. The track record when concerned with the impossibility of Pentax's existence are proved wrong, day aft day, year after year.

It doesn't matter how many reasons people have thought of over the years, Pentax is still here. The big reason would be Pentax is still selling in Japan. it doesn't matter how poorly Pentax is doing in the U.S. or Romania, as long as they keep their Japanese market share intact, they have a base to work from, and all these dire predictions are worth nothing.

I know certain other countries like to think they are important, but apparently a company like Pentax can survive without them. And some people can make money just selling what Pentax gear is surplus to Japan. Whether or not Pentax actually wants those markets is unclear. I suspect countries like Canada are kind of a liquidation house for left over product, where they can liquidate inventory without a lot of investment.

As per usual, forum members are completely over-estimating their importance in the Pentax world view.
I didn't say that it's not moving forward. I was talking about attracting new clients outside Japan and about keeping the market share. There is a Pentax ambassador here (Kenspo I think is his name) who recently said that the postponed lenses made his job more difficult. There is the military guy who left Pentax due to the lack of implication from Ricoh.

It's a very good thing that there are happy Pentaxians arround here and I'm excited to see great images on some topics on this forum. But that doesn't mean that everything is pink in Pentax land and people should be happy because Pentax is doing fine in Japan. Maybe you read it the wrong way, but my suggestions (for the ones who don't make efforts to read between the lines when there is nothing written between the lines) were to see Pentax being more active online so that young photographers who haven't heard about Pentax to have a chance to discover the brand.

We can't move all to Japan to be close to Pentax and I do believe that each country must be important for the brand, no matter how small or how far away from Japan it is. Give me the possibility to rent 10-15 Pentax K1 cameras and lenses and give me 6 months and you will be surprised by how much publicity a few photographers from a small country like Romania can do online.

Yes, you can be as happy as you want about Pentax gear, but give others reasons to become happy also when they invest in Pentax. Because having the best landscape camera (or field camera as you describe it) in the world is not enough as an argument. It may be for you and for others who knows Pentax from the film days, but not for the potential clients. And even if it's hard for you to realise or admit this, guys like Kenspo who are trying to sell Pentax products give us a more clear picture regarding how difficult is to attract new customers.

06-09-2018, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #263
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I didn't say that it's not moving forward. I was talking about attracting new clients outside Japan
It's a Japanese brand, Dan, with a few of us informed gaijin buying into it. There are forum members who will be the only Pentax DSLR owners their town has ever had. There are members who in their life have never seen another owner.

You've heard of the phrase 'running with the herd'?

We don't do that.

We didn't buy Pentax because of what our neighbors use.

Nor should Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Leica or Hassy owners.

You're welcome to your Canon. I'm a car lover and it's honestly like someone showing me their Ford. I just shrug my shoulders. Am I supposed to applaud?

As for your point about flash photography, I've used speedlights, strobes, HSS, P-TTL, on camera, off-camera, multiple lights, every modifier type you can think of (Fresnel, beauty dish, scrim, octabox, whatever), shot right beside Canikon users, no problem.

Last edited by clackers; 06-09-2018 at 04:14 PM.
06-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #264
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's a Japanese brand, Dan, with a few of us informed gaijin buying into it.

We didn't buy Pentax because of what our neighbors use.

As for your point about flash photography, I've used speedlights, strobes, HSS, P-TTL, on camera, off-camera, multiple lights, every modifier type you can think of (Fresnel, beauty dish, scrim, octabox, whatever), shot right beside Canikon users, no problem.
Yes, I know that Cactus offers support for Pentax and I do hope that Godox will join Pentax and they will release a Godox X1T-P or a Xpro1-P trigger.

As for on camera TTL flash, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's still far for being accurate or consistent. It tends to overexpose and the color temperature is not consistent, at least not with Pentax 540FZG flash.

By the way, how would you convince a portrait photographer to buy Pentax if you are at a photo tour for example?

---------- Post added 06-09-18 at 11:32 PM ----------

You've heard of the phrase 'running with the herd'?

We don't do that.
Yeees, I am familiar with the phrase. I run with lots of herds and I always try to differentiate from them, but not with the gear I use. You maybe realised already that I don't care what it is written in front on my camera as long as the camera does what I want from it. To me is kind of silly if someone comes and tells me I bought a Phase One because I don't want to run with the herd.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 06-09-2018 at 04:40 PM.
06-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #265
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I know that Cactus offers support for Pentax and I do hope that Godox will join Pentax and they will release a Godox X1T-P or a Xpro1-P trigger.
I shoot HSS with my Godox AD360 via Cactus V6 II transceivers, no problem, other owners do it in different ways.

As for on camera TTL flash, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's still far for being accurate or consistent. It tends to overexpose and the color temperature is not consistent, at least not with Pentax 540FZG flash.
I've not had that problem (I have two 540s and a 360), but come around to my house with some Pilseners and I'll show you Flash Exposure Compensation (add salt to your taste) and White Balance.

By the way, how would you convince a portrait photographer to buy Pentax?
I'd show them your pics and then those of forum member Chris Knight with his 645Z, who shoots instructional videos and is a published author.

Just joking, you know I love you and your photography!

Last edited by clackers; 06-09-2018 at 10:56 PM.
06-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
And, yet, the tortoise won the race.
Yes, thats the flat sides version...its different down here underside,where we have serations,curves and jagged endings to the stories that were passed down under or which leaked over the sides.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 11:23 AM ----------

how would you convince a portrait photographer to buy Pentax
Release a 85mm f1.4?

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 11:31 AM ----------

It's a Japanese brand,
As far back as i can remember(late 50s) its always been spelt in English lanuage,I havent seen the Japanese version?
06-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #267
Veteran Member

As far back as i can remember(late 50s) its always been spelt in English lanuage,I havent seen the Japanese version?
Unless you spoke Japanese you probably wouldn't recognize it in Kanji.
06-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #268
Pentaxian

Yes, you can be as happy as you want about Pentax gear,
Yes I can Dan. And I don't need you to tell me I can.

As stated, I've been listening to all these self appointed experts telling everyone what Pentax has to do for 10 years, and year after year, Pentax proves they don't have to do any of that crap.

When are you guys finally going to give it a rest?

Personally I think people are just thinking of what they personally wish Pentax would do, and just say it's what Pentax has to do it or bad things are going to happen to Pentax. What s load of bull feathers.

There are a pile of people who need to get over themselves. It's not al about you and what you want.

Last edited by normhead; 06-10-2018 at 08:51 AM.
06-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #269
Pentaxian

(...)

as far back as i can remember(late 50s) its always been spelt in english language,i haven't seen the japanese version?
ペンタックス
06-09-2018, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #270
Veteran Member

I shoot HSS with my Godox AD360 via Cactus V6 II transceivers, no problem, other owners do it in different ways.
I read something regarding HSS with Cactus and Godox flashes. It's good to know that Godox system can be explored by Pentaxians. I have all the important flashes from Godox (2 x AD180, 1 x AD200, 1 x AD360, 1 x AD600 and 1 x TT685) and I have all the triggers also (X1T, XT-32, Xpro 1). I will not buy Cactus triggers for the moments because I do not see Pentaxians lately at photo tours, but I have a close friend who has Cactus triggers if a Pentaxian will come to photo tours.

've not had that problem(I have two 540s and a 360), but come around to my house with some Pilseners and I'll show you Flash Exposure Compensation (add salt to your taste) and White Balance.
Man, I wish we could all meet over a bear and just photograph. You know that white balance can't be a solution in mixed light and you also know that if you find restaurants with lights that give different color temperature the mettering can fool the camera and you will have different temperatures on you images. It's good that you haven't problems with the flash on camera, in TTL. I've had and some friends of mine had so they changed a little the approach by using off camera flashes on stands, in manual mode.

I'd show them your pics and then those of Chris Knight with his 645Z, who shoots instructional videos and is a published author.

Just joking, you know I love you and your photography!
You know what are the most important things for me when I go out with other 4-6 photographers to shoot some portraits?
1. The subject
2. The light
3. The background

If I take care of these 3 things and combine them properly, the others can shoot with medium format cameras because I don't care. If I would have to convince them to buy Pentax, I would ask them what they shoot with and then I will make sure to go to the shooting session with a lower specs camera and with a cheap lens like DA70mm (loved that lens for the price) and I would make every thing I can to combine the 3 elements I mentioned above to produce images that they don't have. Amateour photographers are easy to spot because at shootings they talk about specs, they always check the back of the screen to see what they photographed, etc. In other words, they loose moments being busy talk about how grat is the system they have. If they see 2 or 3 times that you get better images with a K5 IIs than they get with rented D810, 5D Mark IV, and top lenses, they start to become interssted in the Pentax brand because in their mind, the camera does the picture, not the photographer. That's why people like Tony Northup have success on Youtube. They say over and over again that Canon, Nikon, Sony are better than Pentax and they make sure to post better images taken with the other cameras so young and unexperienced photographers go with the herd.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 06:06 AM ----------

Release a 85mm f1.4?
Yes, please! A portrait photographer will buy this lens without esitation.

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 06:14 AM ----------

Yes I can Dan. And I don't need you to tell me I can.
I'm not. As I said, don't try to read between the lines when there isn't anything written between the lines.

There are a pile of people who need to get over themselves. It's not al about you and what you want.
It is about each and everyone. When you will realise this, you will open the eyes and read what are the problems that the ones who promote or used to promote Pentax have to deal with. And I gave you as examples Kenspo and the millitary guy. I'm sure you understand it even you try to move the discussion and make it look like it's about me.
Closed Thread