Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 02:09 AM   #466
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm especially sick of the "I'm honestly worried about Pentax' future, please convince me that I'm wrong!" pretense.
Well, that's something you couldn't accuse our friend in another place of, at least

07-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #467
Pentaxian

There's another friend in the same place that does exactly that
07-03-2018, 03:41 AM   #468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see thinly disguised contempt towards Pentax...
Be...cause?
- Pentax has best IQ for the price?
- He is running out of patience on new lenses on the road map?
07-03-2018, 03:43 AM   #469
Pentaxian

Because Pentax is the Other brand?

07-03-2018, 04:04 AM   #470
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A murder of Pentaxians?
Nah, Crows already got that one...
07-03-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Time to close this thread for good...
Yes, PLEASE!
07-03-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #472
mee
Veteran Member

If you guys want this thread to die.. then we need to each agree to stop posting in it (and thus keeping it alive). You can't complain about the complainers and then think you're different.

07-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Latest AP has a article on taking the K-1 to the Faroe Islands for a shoot. Very complimentary on its use as a landscape camera.
07-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #474
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Latest AP has a article on taking the K-1 to the Faroe Islands for a shoot. Very complimentary on its use as a landscape camera.
...and so they should be. We don't get AP in the month of publication, out here, so I can't check, but which lens(es) did they take?
07-04-2018, 02:05 AM   #475
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
...and so they should be. We don't get AP in the month of publication, out here, so I can't check, but which lens(es) did they take?
@RobA_Oz, he used DFA 24-70 for all the photos in the article. I use the "Readly" app to get AP, not sure whether it is available down-under; Readly | All magazines - one magazine app subscription

:-)
07-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
@RobA_Oz, he used DFA 24-70 for all the photos in the article. I use the "Readly" app to get AP, not sure whether it is available down-under; Readly | All magazines - one magazine app subscription

:-)
Thanks for the link. I wasn’t aware of that service. I had subscribed directly to AP using their app some time ago, but I haven’t renewed for quite a while.
07-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #477
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agp1337 Quote
I was surprised by this week's Amateur Photographer article. It was extremely complimentary about the camera, stressing its value for money, rugged build, and the quality of its images. Obviously there were criticisms, but they are the ones I would make too. Main ones are the weight, the focusing points, and the lack of a touch-sensitive LCD and the need to use the four-way pad to navigate. They were only minor criticisms, though, and no camera is perfect.

In the hot weather I've been out quite a bit with mine. It's having a bad effect on my character, though. Seeing others with their dslrs, I suspend the camera around my neck by its Pentax strap, 'Pentax' emblazoned across the front, and look askance on the ever-so-common Nikons and Canons everyone else has!
Though I've not yet bought my copy, I'm not surprised
A.P. - despite what others may opine - have always been, to my mind, fair and generally pro-Pentax

Trevor
07-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the camera market place is certainly undergoing rapid change, I quite like the Pentax policy of going after a market where it feels it can be a real player, namely, the serious amateur who wants a well made, comfortable, reliable and weather sealed product with which to go and take still photos. It may be a niche product and there is nothing wrong with that. Downgrading a camera because it does not do video as well as other cameras is not a valid policy in my opinion since the people who buy these cameras are not doing so to get a video camera. Some of the things that set the Pentax line apart are how well every product is made, how ergonomic each item is, how solidly built they are and how competitively priced they are for what they give the consumer. Their lens lineup, while not as extensive as major brands such as Nikon and Canon, nevertheless covers all the bases that most of the intended buyers want covered. Nothing wrong with that. The low end of the camera market place is dropping out of site and these same major players are the most vulnerable. Is it not better to do some things well vs. doing many things well enough? The K1 II has been compared favourably in many aspects to the Nikon 850. Not as wonderful perhaps in some criteria, but look at the price difference!

Interestingly, at the camera stores that I sometimes visit, they do not carry Pentax product in stock but I have never heard a negative comment from the sales people about Pentax products. They do immediately offer to special order items though. In Canada, there is a 2 year warranty, something that I feel could be safely extended to the American marketplace. I doubt that it would be a major additional cost item for the distributor but would add to the perceived value and should be an additional marketing feature. Lastly, I have regularly compared various Canon and Nikon bodies to Pentax ones and every time I perceive a better made and designed product via Pentax. Thus, I do not believe that Pentax is in serious danger of going extinct in the near future. They do however have to keep developing new products as best they can.

Last edited by Yoda boy; 07-04-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling
07-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #479
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by agp1337 Quote
I was surprised by this week's Amateur Photographer article. It was extremely complimentary about the camera, stressing its value for money, rugged build, and the quality of its images. Obviously there were criticisms, but they are the ones I would make too. Main ones are the weight, the focusing points, and the lack of a touch-sensitive LCD and the need to use the four-way pad to navigate. They were only minor criticisms, though, and no camera is perfect.
Yup - AP has historically been fair to Pentax - I think that' it's also worth noting that pros and cons can be self contradictory (like robust as a pro, heavy as a con, or things like the lack of joystick aren't really a con in a camera with 33 focus points) -but I think you have to look at those things in terms aids to buyers rather than real pros and cons - what's a pro to one person might be a con to another, after all.
07-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #480
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Yup - AP has historically been fair to Pentax - I think that' it's also worth noting that pros and cons can be self contradictory (like robust as a pro, heavy as a con, or things like the lack of joystick aren't really a con in a camera with 33 focus points) -but I think you have to look at those things in terms aids to buyers rather than real pros and cons - what's a pro to one person might be a con to another, after all.
Yes. this is how all of these reviews, reports should be read. They are just somebody's opinion with a few bits of data thrown in to add spice. We should consider what they say and then file it away. To misuse a cliche: This is not rocket science, nothing will crash and burn if we chose wrong or the writer is mistaken.
Closed Thread