Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2018, 01:53 AM   #496
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Spot on!
When Ricoh acquired Pentax Imaging Systems from Hoya, they merged it with their own camera division - Pentax Imaging Systems being the larger, more important entity who absorbed the smaller one. The net result, what we perceive as "Pentax" continues. The brand, the products - now with cameras like the K-1 and lenses like the new D FA*s.
It's not exactly like people using Hasselblad, not DJI medium format equipment but not that far off either.

Let's not forget that Pentax was, at the beginning, "not a company but a brand name" - a brand of Asahi Optical. When their "golden years" happened.
Pentax medical is also an other Pentax brand, still own by Hoya corporation.

PENTAX Medical (Global)

07-06-2018, 02:08 AM   #497
Pentaxian

They can stick those Pentaxes (?) where the sun doesn't shine.
Literally. They're endoscopes.
07-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #498
Pentaxian

Look at any database such as WIPO:

WIPO Global Brand Database

The Pentax trademark belongs to Hoya and to Hoya only. Ricoh are entitled to use it for certain products and services as determined by a licence agreement with Hoya. In addition Ricoh own the 'SMC Pentax' trademark.
07-06-2018, 04:10 AM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The Pentax trademark belongs to Hoya and to Hoya only. Ricoh are entitled to use it for certain products and services as determined by a licence agreement with Hoya. In addition Ricoh own the 'SMC Pentax' trademark.
That confirms it: Ricoh need to buy Hoya, put Pentax back together and dispose of the rest.

07-06-2018, 04:22 AM   #500
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Penny pinchers buy a D3300, leave the kit lens on it with the hood backwards, don't buy another lens, can't get anywhere with their photography and just use their phone from then on.
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Not so wrong
Chasing volume makes sense only if that volume leads to higher-profit sales. If consumer doesn't understand why your product is different, WR for example, you can get his dollar only by getting fewer of them. Winner of 'race to the bottom' gets lots of profit-losing sales .... he'd better have a plan to turn that loss into gain somewhere else.

When I was in my MBA program, I helped teach a course in which students 'ran' a company, and then the computer presented results. One day I pointed out to a team that their sales price was below their cost of goods. They responded with "we're going to make it up with volume" ..... so I had to show them that the more items they sold, the more money they lost.
07-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I do think that is true. Just Ricoh should have changed a lot more in the company. Pentax was run as a tech-geek company. So Ricoh should have installed a new management, a new team for sales, a new team for social media. Leaving the Pentax people run Ricoh-Imaging made it look out of date in todays world.
I don't know. You can look out of date and still be at the cutting edge of something the others do not understand or appreciate. You do need to market it. that is as old as commerce.
07-06-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #502
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
And which of us can honestly say we're entirely unbiased, whatever our opinions may be?
Pentax Forums is the only totally unbiased forum on the whole internet. The forum staff, alongside the users, only write totally objective comments on the flawless and perfect Pentax products. Myself, I only own Pentax original products, down to the tiniest camera strap. Therefore I know who is right and who is wrong. "Either you're for us or against us!"

Kjell

07-06-2018, 07:55 AM   #503
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Pentax Forums is the only totally unbiased forum on the whole internet. The forum staff, alongside the users, only write totally objective comments on the flawless and perfect Pentax products. Myself, I only own Pentax original products, down to the tiniest camera strap. Therefore I know who is right and who is wrong. "Either you're for us or against us!"

Kjell
Well said! Sadly I fear there are some who may not see your satire.
07-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Chasing volume makes sense only if that volume leads to higher-profit sales. If consumer doesn't understand why your product is different, WR for example, you can get his dollar only by getting fewer of them. Winner of 'race to the bottom' gets lots of profit-losing sales .... he'd better have a plan to turn that loss into gain somewhere else.

When I was in my MBA program, I helped teach a course in which students 'ran' a company, and then the computer presented results. One day I pointed out to a team that their sales price was below their cost of goods. They responded with "we're going to make it up with volume" ..... so I had to show them that the more items they sold, the more money they lost.
I now remember I had such a computer based game the first week of my MBA, yearrrrrrrs ago
07-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #505
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I now remember I had such a computer based game the first week of my MBA, yearrrrrrrs ago
Just now I admitted on another thread that I graduated from college in 1969 - so we're talking early 1970's ....
but the basic principles remain the same. Competing in a largely undifferentiated market is brutal; that is why Pentax is not trying to match Canikon or Sony or anyone else.
As I am reported to have said shortly after I learned to talk "I want to be my own self".
07-06-2018, 02:13 PM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Just now I admitted on another thread that I graduated from college in 1969 - so we're talking early 1970's ....
but the basic principles remain the same. Competing in a largely undifferentiated market is brutal; that is why Pentax is not trying to match Canikon or Sony or anyone else.
As I am reported to have said shortly after I learned to talk "I want to be my own self".
Although Pentax marketing is rather weak, the undifferentiated market is definitely a true issue if they were to try to start pushing volume. I managed some great images with my D40 and and kit lens as my first DSLR, but many folks I have talked to who buy entry level or pro-sumer kits at the local big box never learn the basic functions or take the camera out of auto "scene" mode and are purely buying some because it looks professional and has a big name on it. This would be a very tough market segment for Ricoh to make profitable headway with.
07-06-2018, 08:02 PM   #507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Pentax medical is also an other Pentax brand, still own by Hoya corporation.
There is also another Pentax brand held by TI Asahi Co., Ltd
PENTAX Surveying – Aiming at the future together
07-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Look at any database such as WIPO:

WIPOGlobal Brand Database

Note that the ASAHI PENTAX trademark is owned by Pentax Corporation, implying that PC may still be in existence, otherwise I would have thought the trademark would be passed to the successor organisation (who I guess would be Hoya).
07-07-2018, 01:04 AM   #509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Note that the ASAHI PENTAX trademark is owned by Pentax Corporation, implying that PC may still be in existence
or rather the trademark application didn't expire yet.
07-07-2018, 02:50 AM   #510
Pentaxian

or rather that the merger of Pentax Corporation with Hoya hasn't been taken into account by the registrar.

Note that in Canada the update has been done: the Asahi Pentax trademark was registered in 1957 by Asahi Optical Company Limited and Hoya Corporation now owns the trademark.
Closed Thread