Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I was told that to be a salesman, you had to sell what you had in stock and get rid of it!
Yes that is true, but I think that statement applys when you have to sell a product want it or not, you have to persuate the buyer to get your product, now the thing is, THAT is what Ricoh have to do, that is their job, to persuate the buyer and tell them HEY, WE ARE BETTER because this and this and that.. But in the case of retail stores, they are not in the obligation to sell something that doesn't sell, they can choose something else to sell and make the same or more profit out of that without getting into much "persuation".

08-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #602
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Yes that is true, but I think that statement applys when you have to sell a product want it or not, you have to persuate the buyer to get your product, now the thing is, THAT is what Ricoh have to do, that is their job, to persuate the buyer and tell them HEY, WE ARE BETTER because this and this and that.. But in the case of retail stores, they are not in the obligation to sell something that doesn't sell, they can choose something else to sell and make the same or more profit out of that without getting into much "persuation".
But if you explain how you are saving them $$$ in the long run and they will be just as happy; Wouldn't that engender good feelings towards your camera store? Having a subject matter expert show you more options rather than just saying, "here is the Rebel, it will work, buh bye!" just to get them out the door with less money? A camera is an investment just like a good set of golf clubs, I buy them from a professional also. You pay store prices for knowledge on high dollar items. Educating your clients is a way to earn future business.
08-23-2018, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #603
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
But if you explain how you are saving them $$$ in the long run and they will be just as happy; Wouldn't that engender good feelings towards your camera store? Having a subject matter expert show you more options rather than just saying, "here is the Rebel, it will work, buh bye!" just to get them out the door with less money? A camera is an investment just like a good set of golf clubs, I buy them from a professional also. You pay store prices for knowledge on high dollar items. Educating your clients is a way to earn future business.
In a perfect camera world, that would be the right thing to do.. but sadly that aint the case, most of the times retailers just want to sell items and get their profit, and that happens with everything that we buy, from food, to TVs, Cars, etc.. =/
08-24-2018, 12:54 AM   #604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
I dont see how come is the stores fault for the marketing of a brand, let's not forget that they are a business, and they go where they can make profit, if a product is not selling and the manufacture is doing nothing to reverse this well, there is not other option to simple stop selling this items phisically and relay on the online sells. But why a store have to inform the cost/benefits of a brand or "persuade" a client if they make the same or maybe more profit selling another product?
Correct. The manufacturer has to create brand awareness one way or the other before customers enters the store. You can't leave that to the store clerk.

08-24-2018, 01:24 AM   #605
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Correct. The manufacturer has to create brand awareness one way or the other before customers enters the store. You can't leave that to the store clerk.
I think retail stores are a dying model, Troenaas.

The Pentax DFA*50 sold out its initial batch even though not one of us had handled it in a shop or even seen it, despite being very expensive.

Last edited by clackers; 08-24-2018 at 02:34 AM.
08-24-2018, 01:31 AM   #606
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Correct. They are dying. But brand awareness is important.
08-24-2018, 02:49 AM   #607
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

The Pentax DFA*50 sold out its initial batch even though not one of us had handled it in a shop or even seen it, despite being very expensive.
I think the majority of camera sales in the US probably happen through big box stores like Target, Walmart and Best Buy. The sales people in those stores are less than knowledgeable. It is hard in smaller communities to keep a boutique photography store going. You have a lot of online competition with regard to prices and thing like printing and developing film, which used to supply a lot of income, have gone out the window.

08-25-2018, 04:07 AM   #608
pxt

In Europe a lot of customer buy electronic via Internet. It is a cheaper than standalone shop.
08-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a vicious circle for the independents and small chains. You hire knowledgeable staff and costs are too high, and anyway I fear too many customers wouldn't actually trust them, having read or seen something on the internet that conflicts with the expert advice. So the retailers staff their shops with less experienced, cheaper staff which turns most people away. The times I've been into camera shops only to be frustrated be a) lack of stock, b) prices (ok I understand this, but...), c) sales staff trying to 'force' inappropriate choices at me (I play a game of wondering into a shop when I'm waiting for my better half and playing dumb - silly I know, but it can be entertaining and d), obviously no Pentax gear. So what hope have they ? Our local small chain has recently given up with Pentax, having stocked the brand for years. I bought gear from them for two/three years at a cost to me, but then I gave up when they steadily started de-stocking. Now in the UK we have one excellent Pentax dealer, who probably supplies most UK Pentax purchases (SRS). Is that a real problem ? Probably not, so long as SRS keep going. For handling gear it now has to be a shows, then subsequent orders. Different way of buying, but one I accept.
08-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #610
Pentaxian

We all know that there is a huge shift in the way people buy things. And, the web has greatly affected shops. Yes, most of the time buying through the web is cheaper. People can simply make a research about the product they like to buy through the internet. Information is readily available about the product. From reviews written by users to YouTube. All we need is to take time to search. However, bashers and trolls can put a brand down as we've seen it. Some of these bashers don't own or have never used the product. If they have used one, they've never given enough time to know and understand it. It is now the manufacturer's duty to do some promotions and counter bad publicity. I still believe Pentax is not doing enough marketing efforts. Some people I know thought Pentax have stopped its camera business and were surprise that I'm using it.
08-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

retail stores are a dying model,
That is why we need to change, people need jobs, much nicer to go into a shop and chat and purchase from a person, people need to realise the need to retain shops, what sort of world will it be without shops only internet? Not good that is for sure.
I would guess that 5% of my shopping would be online, 95% in shops. Also those self serve checkouts, never use them, best to have someone in a job.
08-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #612
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
That is why we need to change, people need jobs, much nicer to go into a shop and chat and purchase from a person, people need to realise the need to retain shops, what sort of world will it be without shops only internet? Not good that is for sure.
I would guess that 5% of my shopping would be online, 95% in shops. Also those self serve checkouts, never use them, best to have someone in a job.
I think BestBuy has the best model thus far with a wide array of camera types on display, freely to try without asking a sales person. As well as sales staff on hand to answer questions if you have any... seems low stress and low hassle there.

Their issue is not a lot of lenses on display or even for sale, no used catalog, and a limited range of products vs online competitors. Oh, and online shops take paypal and other online methods of transaction which a bestbuy does not. Plus the rewards % on sales and other perks at shops such as Adorama or B&H.

It is difficult to beat an online catalog available to order from 24/7 and straight to your door delivery of a vast amount of items that would be difficult to stock in multiple B&Ms if you started a camera store chain.

I think this is generally speaking an older person versus younger person dilemma. The older person is used to specialized shops and in-person treatment and younger people are geared more to online shopping with no communication with sales, a huge selection, and not having to drive across town to get something. More of a social aspect to older people in terms of community and less with younger. That's difficult to change..

I only do grocery shopping in a B&M (where I almost always use a self checkout and get to bag groceries myself), every other purchase is online.. hmm outside of shoes since those are particular. But most clothing, electronics, even soap and the like is bought online. I never have to get in a car and deal with impatient and stressful traffic, jerk people in stores, or spending time outside of the comfort of my home.
08-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #613
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
and younger people are geared more to online shopping with no communication with sales,
and no jobs for anyone
08-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #614
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the majority of camera sales in the US probably happen through big box stores like Target, Walmart and Best Buy. The sales people in those stores are less than knowledgeable. It is hard in smaller communities to keep a boutique photography store going. You have a lot of online competition with regard to prices and thing like printing and developing film, which used to supply a lot of income, have gone out the window.
This is true sadly. The closest “real” camera store to me is almost 2hours away and I live in one of the wealthiest areas of the United States. I know there was a camera store that went out of business before I moved here.
08-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #615
Veteran Member

The thing is.. does a brand needs a retail store to sell? not really, as long as they have good marketing by their own they can sell directly or online, but they gotta have marketing, strong online presence and good product activations (you know, when manufactrues call influencers to try their products).. does RICOH do that? mmmm no. And that sucks! if there are no camera stores, and no online marketing, How in hell will people find out about a product?? ( such as a camera)..
Closed Thread