Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Like with the KP, there will no doubt be a dedicated (battery) grip available. Sony makes the battery grip for e.g. the A9, a bit larger to solve the inbalance issues.

Chris
Apparently there isn't a "size issue" - there are various "size issues"
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The primary "rub" I have with the KP is the body ergonomics. The K-3 series has, for me, perfect ergonomics. The way the grip fits the fingers and the rear of the grip area fits the thumb with the raised area on the right side of the body is perfect. This makes for very comfortable holding until you are ready to bring the camera up to support it with both hands for a shot. I never saw the value in interchangeable grips.

10-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #662
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently there isn't a "size issue" - there are various "size issues"
It's just another option, you know.... in case waiting on Pentax get's a bit too much.

Chris
10-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #663
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I agree with you. Pentax 645, in its current form, will go before Pentax K.
looks like it will.

Its what shines through from the interview...
In the oppinion of the reps interviewed, mirrorless is a thing that could be... but its much closer for mid-format according to what they said.

I guess that is because on a mirrorless mid-format digital ILC there is no more gigantic mirror slapping down and !eventually causing (mirror-shake)blurs...
That is more so important when you go up with the resolution to a point where you have nearly the same pixel pitch as you would have on a 50mp FF-Sensor...

I guess this is the point, where they checked, that competition in mid-format becomes stronger, and to overcome them, they will have to go to the BIG mid-format sensor size...
and since all the lenses for 645 (except one) are still good for that image circle, there wont be much of a problem starting out with
1 zoom
and
1 prime with the new mount native

and

1 adapter to adapt the old 645lenses... that actually are good for that sensor size.
but despite the newer DFA lense may not offer the superior resolution needed for the 100MP sensor so they will have arguments to sell new lenses even if there would be older alternatives that also "could do the trick"(maybe even with AF - what would depend on the Adapter they would have to offer.)

but i really feel keeping the Super35 and 35(or 135)formats
being classic DSLR is a good thing to do, if technology involved in upcoming DSLRs does the same evolution as it does on FF(if possible).
10-01-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #664
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Did you notice that the new 33x44mm 100 MP BSI Sony sensor used by Fujifilm in their GFX 100S has on-sensor phase detection autofocus?

Compared to conventional contrast detection autofocus this would greatly facilitate the use of FA645 lenses on a hypothetical Pentax 645 mirrorless camera.
I didn't see that, no.

If Pentax does go mirrorless for medium format (and it's still a big "if"... let's not get ahead of ourselves), I'm sure it will do everything possible to leverage the existing 645 lens portfolio. It won't have the resources to develop a whole range of native glass at once, nor will it want to alienate the many happy 645D and 645Z users. So I very much doubt any of that glass will go to waste.

The speed of development in technology never ceases to amaze me. As Ferris Bueller said:

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

10-01-2018, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #665
Pentaxian

You know when I consider what is happening in the media world, with newspapers and magazines shutting down on a regular basis, I have a feeling that Pentax will outlive this particular mag. In the past year, both Popular Photography and Shutterbug magazines have both closed down their print editions, sad to say.
10-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #666
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I guess that you are referring to the fact that Sony has replaced the old Minolta mount with its own e-mount,
No, it was Sigma killing the SA mount and adopting the Leica one.
10-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
"Call the police in America"
Which America?

10-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, it was Sigma killing the SA mount and adopting the Leica one.
Ah, then there is some confusion (on my part) about SA: Sony Alpha mount, or SA: Sigma mount.

Chris
10-02-2018, 04:34 AM   #669

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You know when I consider what is happening in the media world, with newspapers and magazines shutting down on a regular basis, I have a feeling that Pentax will outlive this particular mag. In the past year, both Popular Photography and Shutterbug magazines have both closed down their print editions, sad to say.
Well that would be a shame since it's been going since 1884.
10-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #670
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tangent88 Quote
Well that would be a shame since it's been going since 1884.
Punch magazine went from 1841 to 1992. I used to read it in the '60's and '70's, Popular Photography print edition went for 80 years, short one month, then stopped publishing print editions. I subscribed to Popular Photography until the last issue. It is a shame that such long lasting print magazines cease publishing.
10-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #671
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
looks like it will.

Its what shines through from the interview...
In the oppinion of the reps interviewed, mirrorless is a thing that could be... but its much closer for mid-format according to what they said.

I guess that is because on a mirrorless mid-format digital ILC there is no more gigantic mirror slapping down and !eventually causing (mirror-shake)blurs...
That is more so important when you go up with the resolution to a point where you have nearly the same pixel pitch as you would have on a 50mp FF-Sensor...

I guess this is the point, where they checked, that competition in mid-format becomes stronger, and to overcome them, they will have to go to the BIG mid-format sensor size...
and since all the lenses for 645 (except one) are still good for that image circle, there wont be much of a problem starting out with
1 zoom
and
1 prime with the new mount native

and

1 adapter to adapt the old 645lenses... that actually are good for that sensor size.
but despite the newer DFA lense may not offer the superior resolution needed for the 100MP sensor so they will have arguments to sell new lenses even if there would be older alternatives that also "could do the trick"(maybe even with AF - what would depend on the Adapter they would have to offer.)

but i really feel keeping the Super35 and 35(or 135)formats
being classic DSLR is a good thing to do, if technology involved in upcoming DSLRs does the same evolution as it does on FF(if possible).
I have not followed this thread.
I have not had an MF camera.
But is not the 645 most used on tripod?
And my big question, can SR be calibrated for mirror vibrations or are they too fast?
Shutter fibrations can be very fast and is sometimes a problem at 24X36, but there is live view and Pentax could provide an external EVF.
If Pentax did so, there are the benefits of both OVF and EVF, with the current 645 lenses.
Not a new line with lenses and no new adapter, but a new 645.

But on the 645 roadmap it stands 2017 or later. .....
10-03-2018, 01:05 AM   #672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
But is not the 645 most used on tripod?
And my big question, can SR be calibrated for mirror vibrations or are they too fast?
Traditional MF 66 and 645, typically Hasselblad, Rollei, Contax, Bronica, and Mamiyas were commonly used on tripods in portrait studios or wedding setups. But the Pentax 645 was designed more to be handheld in the field.

And SR is designed to reduce bigger and slower movement caused by an unsteady hand; not the microvibrations from mirror slap.
11-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #673
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well this article has doubts about the future of dslr.....

The DSLR Will Likely Die: Are Mirrorless the Future of Big Standalone Cameras?

Since Pentax only has dslr........that would make it's future douptfull if this becomes truth.
11-07-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #674
Pentaxian

Wow, an article doubting the future of DSLRs... that's unprecedented! ;-)

It's not like the previous 1 trillion such articles were followed by - not DSLRs dying, but at least MILCs becoming the dominant ILC technology.
In the meanwhile, the Z6/7 and R proved to be quite not so spectacular. Nikon even managed to bring down its AF to Pentax levels, if you can believe that... and the image quality? Bah!

L.E. Some of the comments are... priceless:
"Give it a rest, mirrorless bigots. Go torture flies or something."

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.
11-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #675
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this article has doubts about the future of dslr.....

The DSLR Will Likely Die: Are Mirrorless the Future of Big Standalone Cameras?

Since Pentax only has dslr........that would make it's future douptfull if this becomes truth.
Pentax says they are studying the whole question. I am quite sure they could assemble an MILC camera by making minor modifications in a K-70, so extinction of DSLR is probably not high on their list of things to worry about.
Closed Thread