Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #676
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The problem Pentax has is that they never made rangefinders. Both Nikon & Canon can show their lineage including rangefinders (or Leica knock-offs as they were often described), but both bailed out after Pentax showed them how to make SLRs. Pentax on the other hand can only look back at their SLR lineage where they (single-handedly) sent most of the photographic world down the 'dead-end' route of the SLR for 60+ years!

It doesn't matter that both the Canon & Nikon mirrorless(s) have been reviewed as 'OK starting points' (despite their prices) but not as good as their DSLR siblings, and that Sony is happy they've not taken advantage to make them smaller (both new lens ranges look like existing lenses with a built-in adapter) but as they're new (and supposedly sexy), they'll get acres of editorial space in magazines fighting for survival.

Edit: Nikon have put IBIS in theirs and it seems the best thing since sliced bread... ` (apologies for those outside the UK who may struggle with that analogy).

11-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #677
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The problem Pentax has is that they never made rangefinders. Both Nikon & Canon can show their lineage including rangefinders (or Leica knock-offs as they were often described), but both bailed out after Pentax showed them how to make SLRs.
?

Pentax were making MILCs (Q, K-01) before Nikon or Canon. And courtesy of Ricoh, they have one of the best premium mirrorless compacts in the world currently.
11-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #678
Veteran Member

IF and only IF Pentax jumps into the mirrorless cameras they better do it good.. i mean REALLY GOOD, Sony placed the flag really high with their latest cameras, lens problems are not that bad now for Sony cameras... so if Pentax comes with a so-so camera that will be IMO the end of the brand specially in this time of the cameras development.. everything moves too fast, too agressive, Nikon and Canon tried to show their theets but it wasn't enough to put down Sony's performance at this time. So if they (Pentax) dont't do it really good is better to keep doing just DLSRs even if they will be the only brand on earth to do it. Mirrorless now is not only about size, that "feature" is the least important, is about performance, speed, resolution, DR, IQ, its about the glass available, battery performance, and yes.. like it or not is about MOVIE features. The bar is high.. is very high.
11-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #679
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Pentax were making MILCs (Q, K-01) before Nikon or Canon. And courtesy of Ricoh, they have one of the best premium mirrorless compacts in the world currently.
None of the Pentax 'mirrorless' products had/has an EVF, so none could compete in the 'mirrorless' mainstream.

11-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #680
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
None of the Pentax 'mirrorless' products had/has an EVF, so none could compete in the 'mirrorless' mainstream.
Not a lot did back then, Reh. I have a Sony Nex 3N from that period, and I have a Samsung Mini NX and a Canon G7x - none of them with EVFs.

Phones don't have EVFs, and they swept the floor back then of compacts and are now the mainstream of photography.
11-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #681
Pentaxian

Not a lot did back then, Reh. I have a Sony Nex 3N from that period, and I have a Samsung Mini NX and a Canon G7x - none of them with EVFs.

Phones don't have EVFs, and they swept the floor back then of compacts and are now the mainstream of photography.
Sony replaced the "Nex" family by the A6nnn family, and Samsung dropped out of the MILC market.
The successful branches either had, or added EVF.

It is true that point-and-shoot cameras - like the G7x and GR - and phones don't have viewfinders; it's not clear how long any P&S will last, and in any case, they are an entirely different market which Pentax does not attempt to compete in.

Last edited by reh321; 11-07-2018 at 08:36 PM.
11-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #682
Pentaxian

I'm not sure what this detour has to do with the article which resulted in this thread.
Pentax doesn't make compact/P&S cameras.
Pentax no longer makes MILCs.

Pentax makes fine DSLRs which compare well against other products aimed at the same market.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/37...ar-2018-a.html

11-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #683
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure what this detour has to do with the article which resulted in this thread.
Threads have a life of their own, Reh, just like a good conversation will traverse topics. It follows people's interest levels, the original magazine article has already been discussed 46 pages ago back in June.

Johnha was comparing Pentax mirrorless offerings to Canon and Nikon in terms of a rangefinder past.
11-08-2018, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #684
Pentaxian

Even if I find this DSLR will die angst rather useless and the claim they would not have the experience baseless, it also is not true. The very creative and innovative modular GXR system offered all of this. You could use a sensor module with Leica M-mount and 12 Mp APS-C CMOS sensor. Additional EVF were available. It was an awesome offer for this time.
11-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

?

Nikon and Canon made rangefinders in the 50's and before. Pentax made slr's.
11-08-2018, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #686
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheGrandPrixKid Quote
Amateur Photographer a well respected weekly photo news and review publication in the UK has just Predicted end Pentax and K1ii likely to be it's last new Camera. Article written by Andy Westlake who is Technical Editor and a former DPReview reviewer, wrote that the slow down in the release of new lenses, camera bodies and Ricoh's reluctance to enter the mirrorless market will lead to the demise of Pentax due to lack of research and development. He says quote "Pentax isn't even a company in its own right any more" pointing to Pentax just being a brand name used by Ricoh. At the end of the article he says "it will be a real shame to see Pentax disappear, but the Pentax K1 mark ii would be a fitting last hurrah"

Although we've all read the writing is on the wall for Pentax in the past it has been easy to dismiss. But to read an article by a respected publication, by a knowledgeable and respected photojournalist is a bit more concerning than random stories from the mass online media. Anyone else read the article or have any thoughts?
If the world stops spinning today, he will be right. Otherwise...
11-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #687
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Nikon and Canon made rangefinders in the 50's and before. Pentax made slr's.
Yep, see Post 676, Pal.
11-08-2018, 03:51 PM - 3 Likes   #688
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If the world stops spinning today, he will be right. Otherwise...
If you get up each day and live it like it's your last, sooner or later you'll be right.
11-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #689
Veteran Member

I think what is killing off all cameras now is why waste money on a camera when my smart phone does the lot.
11-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #690
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I think what is killing off all cameras now is why waste money on a camera when my smart phone does the lot.
Well, most pictures in the world are taken not for artistry but just to document (I was at this café, this is my dog being cute, etc) and of course a phone can do that, Pentasonic.

Which category of user do you fall into?
Closed Thread