Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #736
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, why did they develop the K-3? Answer: lots of people were attracted by 50% increase in pixels.
People were attracted to the K3 for different reasons. There actually was a strong wave of antagonism towards it here when it was released -- mainly due to the fact that it wasn't better than the K5 at high iso (it's really about the same once you resize photos) and the low iso dynamic range wasn't as good as the K5 either.

For me, personally, the biggest thing that drew me to the K3 was the fact that it was significantly faster to respond than the K5. It was the first camera, as well, where Pentax had added auto focus points since the *ist D days. Live view was a lot better too. Really, everything was upgraded, including the sensor and once you factored in that it had been several years since the K5's release (the K5 II was stop gap at best), it was an easy sale for me.

11-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #737
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was surprised, since I didn't see much advertising the last years. Good action in these days of Black Friday where a K-1ii is now 1799 euro while a Sony A7ii is only 949 euro. The sales game is played hard this weekend.
The K-1ii and the A7ii are not in the same league. The K-1ii plays with the A7Riii. I have both cameras and would be hard pressed to decide between them they are both so good in their strengths. I had an A7ii but was not impressed. There are some pretty good Pentax bargains appearing in the US.
11-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #738
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
People were attracted to the K3 for different reasons. There actually was a strong wave of antagonism towards it here when it was released -- mainly due to the fact that it wasn't better than the K5 at high iso.
Doesn't it also say "Ricoh" on the back?

Incidentally, has Pentax released any APS products at all this year?
11-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #739
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Cameras? Same as Sony, Reh … zero.

Sony did release one travel zoom for APS-C, though.

It doesn't seem to be an ultimately rewarding format for the camera manufacturers, even though it provides the vast majority of sales.

Last edited by clackers; 11-22-2018 at 07:33 PM.
11-22-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #740
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Cameras? Same as Sony, Reh … zero.

Sony did release a travel zoom for APS-C, though.

It doesn't seem to be an ultimately rewarding format for the camera manufacturers, even though it provides the vast majority of sales.
Time for you to adopt your Ricoh CEO persona again Clackers!
11-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Probably not.

Although they did announce the GR III...
11-22-2018, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #742
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was surprised, since I didn't see much advertising the last years. Good action in these days of Black Friday where a K-1ii is now 1799 euro while a Sony A7ii is only 949 euro. The sales game is played hard this weekend.
That sounds about right considering the difference between the two cameras. I own the A7 MkII... pixel density is about the same as my 10Mp APS-C Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone). For those who don't need higher-resolution full format, premium weather-resistance and a bunch of other benefits, the A7II is a very decent camera. It's no K-1II, of course... but for the money, very decent indeed, and great for adapted lens work

11-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #743
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Probably not.

Although they did announce the GR III...
I specified 'Pentax' to exclude GR and WG.
11-22-2018, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #744
Pentaxian

You do understand they are saving the 11-18 and a few surprises for their 100th anniversary year, so they don't have to throw us a party?
11-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #745
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You do understand they are saving the 11-18 and a few surprises for their 100th anniversary year, so they don't have to throw us a party?
You're assuming the 11-18 will be released next year?
11-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #746
Pentaxian

You're assuming the 11-18 will be released next year?
I love quotes I can throw in people faces when things come about. This is one I will definitely save.
11-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #747
Pentaxian

I love quotes I can throw in people faces when things come about. This is one I will definitely save.
So ..... your answer is yes?
11-22-2018, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #748
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Time for you to adopt your Ricoh CEO persona again Clackers!
Oh that's right, Mark … he wasn't even Japanese, was he, sort of a cross between Richard Branson and Sir Les Patterson for some reason.

(Clears throat)

"Thanks, Matt. You look good in the lycra, have a soy latte. You're from EnZed, aren't you? Thinking of closing that down, only two Pentaxes went there this year, one was yours and you didn't even pay for it.

All us companies think APS-C is poison, old bean. Bought by tight ar*es who can't take a picture, never buy another lens and leave the hood on backwards. We all got into price cutting wars with each other a couple of years ago trying to win them over, big mistake. Poor old Fuji realized their stuffup about not needing a larger format, and have come out with MF like us. We've got an 85mm coming out next year, star lens, absolutely top shelf, Zeiss'll be weeping, but you'll have to sell that carbon bike of yours to afford it, though.

Must go and chat up my secretary. She puts in seven day weeks, buys all the presents to keep my wife happy, makes it look like I did everything. When Pentax turns 100, she turns thirty, though, so I'll have to let her go. Only want fillies around the office, I'm sure you understand. See you, Mike!"

Last edited by clackers; 11-22-2018 at 09:54 PM.
11-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #749
Veteran Member

So ..... your answer is yes?
It is implied so I am inferring that Norm meant exactly that! I think that the 11-18 will arrive within the next 8 months or so. At least we will see it in the wild with testers.
11-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #750
Pentaxian

I hope it works out that way.

Pentax seems to be more interested in FF right now, so I hope they can devote the necessary resources to this.
Closed Thread