Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2018, 03:20 AM   #886

Photos: Gallery
It's almost as if many people are piling on with this theme of Pentax is dying because they all want to be the first ones who said "I told you so." Which is assinine. I long for the days of the rival US publications of Modern Photography and Popular Photography, where they concentrated on what cameras had to offer instead of making morbid predictions of the demise of camera systems. If it happened, it happened, the mags reported on it, and moved on. Where the resentment of Pentax comes from is a mystery, but as long as we keep getting new designs, I'm just gonna roll with it.

12-29-2018, 04:09 AM   #887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
It's almost as if many people are piling on with this theme of Pentax is dying because they all want to be the first ones who said "I told you so." Which is assinine. I long for the days of the rival US publications of Modern Photography and Popular Photography, where they concentrated on what cameras had to offer instead of making morbid predictions of the demise of camera systems. If it happened, it happened, the mags reported on it, and moved on. Where the resentment of Pentax comes from is a mystery, but as long as we keep getting new designs, I'm just gonna roll with it.
I'd be curious about how much more marketing money is invested now compared to years ago. What happened is that the design of more and more features into digital cameras led camera companies to build up staff much more than in the film era. After that was a growing market phase for digital cameras, the fishes being able to grow when the size of the fish pond was also growing. Customers still expect advanced features in new camera models, which prevent camera companies to shrink their engineering staff. Now the fish pound started shrinking for a while and the big fish feel more and more tight with not enough water for them to swim. The big fish feel obliged to attack smaller fishes, that all what the Pentax attacks are about, some people get incentives to publish negative marketing about some brands, Pentax is an easy target. What I'm certain about is that current camera models are all good, and there is a huge amount of brain wash involved in selling newer models. I believe camera business is getting close to cosmetics business in terms of the ratio between marketing budgets and manufacturing costs, where 80% of the costs are make of branding and promotional costs and 20% goes to buying raw materials, manufacturing and logistics, and that's precisely why Pentax may still turn a profit while selling less volumes with no marketing.

Canon and Nikon will suffer a lot, that can't be avoided, they are way too big and have way too high fixed cost to continue turning profits with declining volumes. 2018, 2019 and 2020 will be the years of the struggle for big camera makers, mirrorless won't be enough for compensate for declining sales, we already see that this is the case and it will continue.

---------- Post added 29-12-18 at 12:23 ----------

In the meantime, given that Pentax is doomed, I will get myself a second copy of the Pentax K1 , because I don't care about marketing, and the Pentax K1 price is super good :-)

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-29-2018 at 04:21 AM.
12-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #888
Pentaxian

I'm waiting for the K-1 m2 silver, with silver wheels included

---------- Post added 29-12-18 at 11:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, he's just saying what many have said here - Pentax isn't releasing new products very fast any more; I'm guessing he had no or little experience with the modern offerings, so he has no idea of the joy of using them at higher ISO values.
Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com

2019 starts next week ..... we shall see what Ricoh has planned for Pentax's "100th".
These people just don't understand that "full speed consumerism" is a dead-end, and will get those who's business model can't quickly adapt, to failure.