Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 04:38 AM   #946
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It pushed me towards stepping up to a KP {which has aperture control like K-3} instead of a K-70 {aperture control is improved version of K-30 mechanism}.
Yep. That's my plan when I have the funds. I'll buy 2 KPs for my son and daughter. 🙂🙂🙂

10-06-2019, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I wish they could come up with serial numbers of affected units.
All units use that solenoid.

10-07-2019, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #948
Pentaxian

Well I'm just hoping that there are some which were manufactured with a different batch or source clackers. If they can identify them, I would gladly get a k70 for my kids.
10-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #949
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I'm just hoping that there are some which were manufactured with a different batch or source clackers. If they can identify them, I would gladly get a k70 for my kids.
I doubt if their database provides that info - they cannot even tell the {newer} 'green' solenoids made in China from the {older} 'white' solenoids made in Japan via the data they kept.

10-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #950
Pentaxian

I guess so reh21. I hope there won't be cameras affected in the future. As of now 2 KP kits is a little steep for me.
10-07-2019, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #951
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd buy one, but from previous posts I detect you're a bit of a nervous person.

I suggest you buy them a KP, or if money's the reason, second hand K-3 or K-5. They use stepper motors, not solenoids, IIRC.

Photogem did an excellent post somewhere summarizing his investigation into the manufacturing history. The white solenoids used on the cheap entry Pentax models stopped being manufactured altogether in Japan, so a replacement had to be sought, and it was a Chinese supplier of green solenoids. From Photogem's writeup, it seems that the solenoids are exactly the same in the K-70, it's just that adjustments have been made to the aperture block they're attached to.

Last edited by clackers; 10-07-2019 at 04:19 PM.
10-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #952
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

I suggest you buy them a KP, or if money's the reason, second hand K-3 or K-5. They use stepper motors, not solenoids, IIRC.
Yes. as far as I understand, the KP uses the same stepper motor used by the K-7/5/3 family.
I seriously considered a used K-7/5/3 before they lowered the price of the KP - and I could afford it - on Black Friday.
The K-70 hasn't had nearly the raft of complaints that the K-30 did, but as far as we know, they are random .... so I could never recommend a K-70 .... but I do recommend a used K-7/5/3.
10-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #953
Pentaxian

Photogem did an excellent post somewhere summarizing his investigation into the manufacturing history. The white solenoids used on the cheap entry Pentax models stopped being manufactured altogether in Japan, so a replacement had to be sought, and it was a Chinese supplier of green solenoids. From Photogem's writeup, it seems that the solenoids are exactly the same in the K-70, it's just that adjustments have been made to the aperture block they're attached to.
Yep, I'm eyeing the KP. I would buy a k-70 if I'm confident with our support here in my city. Like I said, I don't like to have another disagreement with our dealer here. As a matter of fact, I don't buy in my city. I now buy my Pentax gears in a branch in Manila.

10-08-2019, 01:02 AM - 3 Likes   #954
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, but it is different, the plunger of the solenoid has been modified in shape, but also possibly the material and finish:

I wrote about it here:
Relating to the changes in the K-70

as well as here:
in the complete history/development of the solenoid

and here:
were I wrote about what Pentax/Ricoh knew or better didn't know

As I do observe the quantity of cameras going bad in the EU (mainly the larger markets in Germany, Austria, France and UK, but also Switzerland which is not EU) I can say that it really became way way better since about beginning 2016. I never had any damaged K-S1 or K-S2 for repair being manufactured past Dec. 2015 and they would show up by now!

Of course, any K-70 that goes wrong right away will ring alarmbells, but I think the percentage is in the usual region and by no means worse to any other manufacturer. A KP or K3 can go wrong as well.
---------------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes. as far as I understand, the KP uses the same stepper motor used by the K-7/5/3 family.
I seriously considered a used K-7/5/3 before they lowered the price of the KP - and I could afford it - on Black Friday.
The K-70 hasn't had nearly the raft of complaints that the K-30 did, but as far as we know, they are random .... so I could never recommend a K-70 .... but I do recommend a used K-7/5/3.
I would still recommend the K70, it is a mighty good camera.

The KP is different to the K3: The K3 uses 3 motors, the K7/5/KP use 2 motors
As far as I know the K3 is together with the K1 the only one with 3 motors but it was only twice that I had a K3 for repair and opened it. Once for complete failure, the other one was misused, a person jammed the AF mechanism with a Ricoh-Pin lens and disarranged the mechanism by trying to force it to work.

K5 only once!
All those are very rugged, fanstastic built quality. IMO even better than the KP!

Last edited by photogem; 10-08-2019 at 01:09 AM.
10-08-2019, 03:45 AM   #955
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
All those are very rugged, fanstastic built quality. IMO even better than the KP!
The APS-C flagships and the K-1 definitely feel and look like they were made to survive being used in Mad Max conditions for decades. Glad to see the internals are made to the same standard!
10-08-2019, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #956
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The APS-C flagships and the K-1 definitely feel and look like they were made to survive being used in Mad Max conditions for decades. Glad to see the internals are made to the same standard!
I would normally call it rugged. Just like me 40 years ago. But "Mad Max" condition, now that to me is a nice category and it also started something like 40 years ago. Man, I am old!!!!