Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #1156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Ricoh Imaging has been this way for years, at least in terms of communication (or lack thereof). But there have been videos, micro-sites and press articles in recent months - you just have to dig around, as Ricoh tends not to shout about them.
One just has to visit their website.

10-26-2021, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #1157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't understand how someone can come to the conclusion that a company releasing three high-end products in a few months is about to give up....
Because their marketing takes place almost exclusively in their own channels, with little fanfare elsewhere. It's all in their webpage and their lens-specific sites are just fantastic - better than I've seen from anyone else.

But it is absolutely true that they don't really put themselves "out there" (probably because it would be more cost than benefit, honestly).
10-26-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #1158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Because their marketing takes place almost exclusively in their own channels, with little fanfare elsewhere. It's all in their webpage and their lens-specific sites are just fantastic - better than I've seen from anyone else.

But it is absolutely true that they don't really put themselves "out there" (probably because it would be more cost than benefit, honestly).
When Rich took over Pentax, they asked for an estimate to bring Pentax's presence up to Canon, Nikon and Sony levels, the number they came up with was 1.4 billion. I've never seen anyone who's seen the numbers who believes they'd still be going to day if they'd thrown money around that way.
10-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #1159
Pentaxian

It takes skill and resources to engineer constant hype. I don't think Pentax has either in this particular field.

It might actually be a good thing in the niche they are attempting to create. Marketing and high visiblility can in itself undermine the exclusivity.

10-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #1160
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One just has to visit their website.

^^^ This Honestly, it's probably my own fault that I rarely (if ever) visit Ricoh Imaging's website... The last couple of times I went straight to the firmware updates for my K-3 and K-3II...
10-26-2021, 12:36 PM   #1161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When Rich took over Pentax, they asked for an estimate to bring Pentax's presence up to Canon, Nikon and Sony levels, the number they came up with was 1.4 billion. I've never seen anyone who's seen the numbers who believes they'd still be going to day if they'd thrown money around that way.
I certainly don't think it would be worth it for them. Marketing with a decent reach costs a LOT of money - regardless of your market share. So you only make it back if your sales volume can pay for it. For a niche brand, their way of doing things is fine and, lately, they've been reaching out on Instagram with a couple contests giving out a KP. The summer one had ~3500 photos submitted, but I don't know how many unique photographers took part... I submitted I think 3 myself.
10-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #1162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, is there info anywhere what will be next 😜 Or we are hanging around dried out pool waiting for rain?

Pentax was never good into marketing, even when they were pushing out multicolor entry level cameras. If not for the fact that I bought my DSLR in physical shop I would probably never thought that Pentax exist anymore and ended with Olympus.

So yeah, he is right about Pentax presence or lack of it. Pentax shows up in the camera zins when they release something. In between releases... Pentax? What is it?

10-26-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #1163
Pentaxian

I hope you don't believe Pentax flickers in and out of existence when they release something.

And FTR - Ricoh Imaging had more releases this year than OM Digital Solutions (although the latter should announce something tomorrow).
A while ago, Samsung was seen as a major player with a bright future. Popularity doesn't say much about a brand's viability.
10-26-2021, 12:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schrodinger Pentax - as long as you don't see it you cannot say if he is dead, and when you see it you know he is not. Pentax is immortal 😂
10-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #1165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A while ago, Samsung was seen as a major player with a bright future. Popularity doesn't say much about a brand's viability.
Well, Samsung is a very major player in the camera market - probably the largest, actually.
It's just not dealing in the kinds of cameras we like anymore
10-26-2021, 12:54 PM - 4 Likes   #1166
Pentaxian

Well, Samsung is a very major player in the camera market - probably the largest, actually.
It's just not dealing in the kinds of cameras we like anymore
Nope. We are talking about consumer cameras as standalone devices, not about any device which includes a camera.
Otherwise Toyota sells more than the entire ILC market.
10-27-2021, 02:38 AM   #1167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Well, is there info anywhere what will be next 😜 Or we are hanging around dried out pool waiting for rain?

Pentax was never good into marketing, even when they were pushing out multicolor entry level cameras. If not for the fact that I bought my DSLR in physical shop I would probably never thought that Pentax exist anymore and ended with Olympus.

So yeah, he is right about Pentax presence or lack of it. Pentax shows up in the camera zins when they release something. In between releases... Pentax? What is it?
The next lenses will be the DFA *35 f1.4 and a variable aperture 70-300 for full frame. Next camera will be some time next year and will be a K-1 III or whatever they choose to name it.
10-27-2021, 02:58 AM   #1168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The next lenses will be the DFA *35 f1.4 and a variable aperture 70-300 for full frame. Next camera will be some time next year and will be a K-1 III or whatever they choose to name it.
Er... not exactly. Several times.
10-27-2021, 04:59 AM   #1169

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'd say that the brand is doing fine, judging from the new products they have released over the past several years.

There's a light left on at the porch. Always welcome to come home!

There is no scarcity of information on Pentax.

Ricoh Imaging presented an interesting series of "Product Stories" and videos over many months leading to the K-3 Mark III.
Product stories of new PENTAX K-3 Mark III, APS-C flagship model | RICOH IMAGING

Recent issue of Outdoor Photographer:
K-3 Mark III featured in Outdoor Photographer magazine, September 2021 - PentaxForums.com

DPReview reports routinely on new Pentax products, for example, the new HD D-FA 21mm f/2.4: Ricoh announces new $1,400 21mm F2.4 ED Limited DC WR lens, set for November release: Digital Photography Review

And a very interesting story on its development and optical design: Development Story | PENTAX Limited Lens Special site | PENTAX Limited Lens | RICOH IMAGING

K-3 Mark III: Plenty of items on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pentax+k-3+mark+iii

RICOH IMAGING - YouTube

Plenty of online reviews, for example: Pentax K-3 Mark III Review: An Excellent, Expensive DSLR | PetaPixel

https://www.popphoto.com/reviews/pentax-k3-review/

New 16-50mm PLM: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pentax+16-50mm+plm

Pentax Star series Special Site (read and drool): STAR SERIES LINEUP | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING

Pentax Limited Lenses Special Site (more read and drool): PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING

HD PENTAX FA-Limited Series - perfecting the tradition of SLR photography

Best cameras around $2000 in 2021: Digital Photography Review

Finally, anyone who is interested in Pentax has a trove of information available right here at the world's most comprehensive site for Pentax -- Pentax Forums!

In case you're wondering about the vision for Pentax: PENTAX PRINCIPLES | brand | RICOH IMAGING

and,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ppR-9V1v8&t=0s

- Craig
Wow!!! You could be a marketing guy for Pentax as you seem very knowledgeable and have patience to show things in detail. That was unexpected and honestly amazing reply with lots of information! Thank you for taking time and showcasing latest Pentax developments. RICOH PENTAX could use a person like you showcasing what they are up to to bring some hype.
10-27-2021, 05:08 AM - 3 Likes   #1170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Weren't the Ricoh SLRs a cut above Zenit and Praktica?

Abundantly, but in actual constructed quality more than brand value.

But there was a line between optical manufacturers and camera makers. Zenit was made by KMZ, a first-quality optical house by the reduced standards of the Second World. Praktica was part of VEB Pentacon, and they owned everything. (Though at all price points—Meyer Görlitz was more a budget brand than Carl Zeiss Jena, for example.) But Ricoh didn’t make lenses, or at least none of note. (Neither did Hasselblad or Rollei, but where are they these days?—shadows of their former selves).

Pentax is a halo brand for Ricoh. While Pentax was the more budget-conscious of the Big Three back in the day, it was still one of the Big Three. That was on the strength of its optical house as much as the ubiquitous Spotmatic. Canon and (especially) Nikon owners might have thought themselves better, but they still took Pentax seriously.

The main reason is that those three carved their own original product development path, having outgrown the copycat products they made in the 50’s. Pentax was the first of them to really innovate.

But in pro circles, Pentax medium-format cameras were deeply respected, and they still are. In that space, Pentax was the premiere Japanese brand, while Mamiya was more budget-conscious. Nikon and (particularly) Canon stayed out of that space (though Nikon did make some superb lenses for larger formats). Ricoh’s only presence was a cheap TLR copy of a Rolleicord. In the middle 70’s, I saw a commercial pro making promotional photos at a technology exhibition, and he was using a Pentax 6x7. Other pros were using Hasselblads, but they were quite respectful of what the Pentax guy could do with larger film, and none of them wanted to use a Mamiya RB-67 in the field. I was obviously more modest with my C-series Mamiya.

So, Pentax has always enjoyed unusual multilevel positioning.

One final point: the SLR is not dead, but it may become less “talked about”. It’s similar to the housing market. The buzz is about minimalist living in a flat in the city, in opposition to the dystopian views about suburban life, but plenty of unhip people are still buying single-family houses in the suburbs and not feeling guilty about it.

Rick “miscellaneous rambling” Denney
Closed Thread