Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2021, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So being a skeptical engineer I started thinking through this. Could you actually have a 1.7:1 ratio of lenses to cameras and have the vast majority of users just have one lens? The answer is yes, but it doesn't have to be that way.

If you had ten people each with one camera:

a. Six with one lens, three with two and one with five
b. Three with one lens, and seven with two
c. Nine with one lens and one with eight

...each group averages 1.7 lenses per camera. So it could be a vast majority with one lens and a few people with many. Or it could be 1/3 of the people with one lens and a lot with just two.

We need your source to include the standard deviation along with the average.
I think people who buy more than one lens have a tendency to buy significantly more than one lens. People who are satisfied with their kit lens or the kit lens and variable aperture zoom they got with their ILC don't fit this bill and can't imagine spending more money on glass.

I own about 12 lenses. I am probably mostly done buying glass except for the DFA 21 and the 70-300 full frame variable aperture zoom that is (hopefully) coming soon.

11-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #1307
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
By the 6th November 2020 most forum members had accepted the launch price as 2000USD as you well know.
Other people will think what they think, Broo.

*I* had accepted a high price before, during and after November. People would regularly tell me that a corporation going niche - actually lowering the total number of Pentax customers but making more profits - made no sense. But pain for traditional owners is understandable. They can no longer afford the latest and greatest.

We know what you thought though, with your $1500 prediction - you'd clearly had not come around to the idea at all.

If you think I made a prediction, please post it for us to see.

Last edited by clackers; 11-10-2021 at 03:26 PM.
11-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #1308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Or Fuji, who have said they are no longer concentrating on cameras,
Where did you hear that?
11-10-2021, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #1309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Where did you hear that?
A few months ago Fujifilm's CEO stated they were going to focus more on healthcare - which makes sense, that's an endlessly profitable industry - but they are not neglecting their digital cameras, evidenced by the fact that they are reportedly going to release two versions of their upcoming X-H2.

I think their statement was more about their film-related products, rather than digital imaging.

11-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #1310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
[...] they are reportedly going to release two versions of their upcoming X-H2.
That's interesting, and seems to be in line with Fujifilm's strategy of carrying a multitude of camera models. They currently list 15 different APS-C models in their X-series. I'm not aware of all the differences amongst the models, but there is a progression in features and capabilities. Interestingly, the X-T3 is still available alongside the X-T4. Same for the X-T30 and X-T30 II and X-E3/4.

Maybe it's like toothpaste on the store shelf -- a particular brand can have a lot of similar products with different packaging, which helps to dominate shelf space. Cynical? Who, me?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-10-2021 at 04:16 PM.
11-10-2021, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #1311
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Where did you hear that?
You can read about the whole situation here, LL! They tried mirrorless APS-C and mirrorless MF, and it hasn't brought in the bucks.

Fujifilm Pivoting to Healthcare, But Claims it Won't Abandon Photography | PetaPixel

Note in the comments that perhaps our own Gatorguy notes:

"So this deeper dig is interesting. As of 2019 only 13% of Fuji revenues came from the "Imaging Solutions" segment which entails cameras, film, and lenses. But looking closer nearly all that revenue came from film and the Instax line, little film cameras that sold in greater numbers than the entirety of the digital camera market both DSLR and MILC in 2020. So how much did Fuji mirrorless cameras and lenses contribute? 3%"

Last edited by clackers; 11-10-2021 at 10:47 PM.
11-11-2021, 12:58 AM   #1312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
A few months ago Fujifilm's CEO stated they were going to focus more on healthcare - which makes sense, that's an endlessly profitable industry - but they are not neglecting their digital cameras, evidenced by the fact that they are reportedly going to release two versions of their upcoming X-H2.
Aren't these just two versions of some existing camera, eventually with slight modifications?
It's getting hard to differentiate from all those identical-but-different Fujifilm models

11-11-2021, 01:18 AM - 2 Likes   #1313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think people who buy more than one lens have a tendency to buy significantly more than one lens. People who are satisfied with their kit lens or the kit lens and variable aperture zoom they got with their ILC don't fit this bill and can't imagine spending more money on glass.

I own about 12 lenses. I am probably mostly done buying glass except for the DFA 21 and the 70-300 full frame variable aperture zoom that is (hopefully) coming soon.
I have around 15 lenses, and like you I'm mostly done. Except for the DFA 21. And maybe the FA or HD 31mm, since I have a huge gap between 28 and 35mm. And if a FA 400mm shows up at an attractive price. And of course a FA* 200mm Macro... and on and on it goes... 😅

Kjell
11-11-2021, 03:22 AM   #1314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Other people will think what they think, Broo.

*I* had accepted a high price before, during and after November. People would regularly tell me that a corporation going niche - actually lowering the total number of Pentax customers but making more profits - made no sense. But pain for traditional owners is understandable. They can no longer afford the latest and greatest.

We know what you thought though, with your $1500 prediction - you'd clearly had not come around to the idea at all.

If you think I made a prediction, please post it for us to see.
Originally Posted by BROO:

Nobody's job is on the line here....It's just an internet forum. I would be really disappointed if the flagship ASP-C camera was just a K-3 with a spit and polish and costing 1250 USD....Very disappointed.

JULY 2019

CLACKERS

In fact, I would probably look to other brands for sports and birding if I was serious about expanding my portfolio and exploring other photographic genre.
Yes, but you said you'd pay $1700, Broo.

Many Pentaxians won't wear that, they paid $1200, $1300 for their K-3.

Better save up for that Canon 1DX!

I am tired of you game mate.
11-11-2021, 04:30 AM   #1315
Pentaxian

I'm done when/if I get the dfa21.

But then again... the dfa100 is great size and fl wise but that CA is a real and troublesome issue despite what blind Pentaxians think. So maybe I'd get a better short tele if offered. The dfa85 is to big for me.
11-11-2021, 06:02 AM   #1316
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

But then again... the dfa100 is great size and fl wise but that CA is a real and troublesome issue despite what blind Pentaxians think. So maybe I'd get a better short tele if offered. The dfa85 is to big for me.
House, curious if your shooting preference is RAW or JPEG? Yes I know there's RAW+ but even there one is generally ignored for the other. The answer would help at least a little to better understand your demonstrative opinions.

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-11-2021 at 06:12 AM.
11-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #1317
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

I get on perfectly well with the DFA100, and I'm not blind (a little short-sighted, but only optically ). Yes, CA can rear its head in certain situations, but as with any other lens, it's just a case of knowing how to use it to its strengths. It also depends on your intended use case. When CA is present it's minimal wide open (where you might use it for portraiture), worst at middle apertures, and low at small apertures (where you'd use it for macro work).

You might get on better with the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. It still suffers from CA, but it's at its worst wide open and gets gradually better as you stop down.

Both lenses are excellent. A competent photographer will work around the minor limitations and get fantastic use from either one...

But I digress, as this thread is about the DFA21
11-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #1318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
I have around 15 lenses, and like you I'm mostly done. Except for the DFA 21. And maybe the FA or HD 31mm, since I have a huge gap between 28 and 35mm. And if a FA 400mm shows up at an attractive price. And of course a FA* 200mm Macro... and on and on it goes... 😅

Kjell
When I purchased a KP + DA 55-300mm PLM lens, I thought I was done with camera-related purchases.
Then I purchased a DA 1.4TC and a DA 20-40mm LTD lens.
Now if Pentax ever puts the K-3iii’s AF in a body retailing for less than $1000 I will be interested ….

Yesterday we went to crane {bird} stop over, and I had a really tough time focusing on them once they took off.
11-11-2021, 07:04 AM - 9 Likes   #1319
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

A 3 year old thread that hasn't had a post in it for 2 years.
Some just can't help turning it into a schoolyard "you're wrong. No, you're wrong. Well may dad can beat up your dad. Oh, yeah? YEAH!" slapfest.

This way to the egress. Don't miss the egress................................

closed

Last edited by Parallax; 11-11-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Closed Thread