Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Pentax accounts for about 1 per cent of Ricoh so the argument that this is about diversification looks a little shaky. On the other hand, It’s clear that a photography heritage is an important part of the company’s history and self-image.
It may well be all about Japan.
I think there is a lot of truth in this when I also consider the automotive industry.

In Japan, you can also find Suzuki, Isuzu, Daihatsu, Hino, and Mitsuoka cars, which no longer export to the U.S. or never did.

Same with Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Skoda, and Lancia in Europe or other Asian marks like Korean Daewoo and Samsung, the Chinese Geely, Chery, Brilliance, Hongqi, or BYD, and not to forget India and the Tata and Bajaj. These are marks that are marketed, sold, and serviced in their native regions.

So just because Pentax may be Japan-centric doesn't mean it's any more "doomed" than a global corporate brand.

06-11-2018, 01:17 PM - 4 Likes   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amateur Photographer are late on the ball. I was kindly informed seven years ago, by a retail shop assistant, that Pentax already had closed down it's camera production. The guy worked in a Scandinavian home electronics chain named "Expert". Fairly enough they went belly-up shortly after.

Is Pentax a sacred brand, alive after it's death?

Kjell
06-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #348
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
So just because Pentax may be Japan-centric doesn't mean it's any more "doomed" than a global corporate brand.
We don't see it meeting our needs, or those around us. In fact, Pentax may withdraw from our part of the world. We may have to "go to" Japan {I used the Internet to purchase a '01' lens for my Q-7 from a Japanese merchant}. They get to decide what kind of effort they're willing to make to meet the needs of which people.
06-11-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to say, Canadian photogrpahers are missing out. A meet up with a meal and drinks afterwards, is the only way to do anything.
Count me in Norm, although I'd have to fit it into a visit to see my son in Toronto. Or maybe meet halfway in Kenora?

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
Is Pentax a sacred brand, alive after it's death?
Pentax must be Buddhist, having been reincarnated a couple of times.

06-11-2018, 02:28 PM - 5 Likes   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We don't see it meeting our needs, or those around us.
What are your needs that they are not meeting? If they aren't, then yes, it may be time to rely more on the internet or just switch systems. I use two systems because, for example, Nikon doesn't fulfill what Pentax has to offer.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

[/COLOR]Pentax must be Buddhist, having been reincarnated a couple of times.
Canon's name comes from the Buddhist goddess of mercy, Kwanon. I'd say Pentax is more Shinto; smaller, less known, predominantly found in Japan, and incorporates the worship of spirits and a belief in sacred power (kami) in both animate and inanimate things. Now that sounds very Pentaxian.
06-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #351
Pentaxian

What are your needs that they are not meeting? If they aren't, then yes, it may be time to rely more on the internet or just switch systems. I use two systems because, for example, Nikon doesn't fulfill what Pentax has to offer.
I am generally happy with Pentax. My "perfect" camera right now would probably be a MILC variant of the KP, because I can see how I could get real use of an EVF, but I know that Pentax's mission does not include meeting my every need. I used "we" to denote the "Pentax community", the totality of people who post here. Every time a new camera is announced, multiple voices will say, "but I wanted ...", and between announcements, people will look forward to the next camera with "I want ..."
06-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I used "we" to denote the "Pentax community", the totality of people who post here.
No offence, but who made you the "Pentax community"'s representative? I disagree with everything you said on that post.

06-11-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No offence, but who made you the "Pentax community"'s representative? I disagree with everything you said on that post.
That's great!
My original comment was reflecting what I hear over and over again.
Unless people like you speak up firmly each time a complaint is made, observers will hear only those voices.
06-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #354
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Going back to the very start of this thread and my initial response, against my better judgement I bought the copy of Amateur Photographer containing the article in question.

Reading it in the magazine, in context with the rest of the content, I felt less annoyed by it. Actually, if I'm being honest, it had zero impact on me... It just strikes me as one man's personal, biased opinion (which - in fairness - is the intent of the "View Point" articles). And which of us can honestly say we're entirely unbiased, whatever our opinions may be? Even the magazine's review of the K-1II, which is largely very positive, shows bias towards smaller, lighter (and - I'd therefore suggest - mirrorless) bodies.

I still think the article is unhelpful, and somewhat unprofessional when published in the same issue as the K-1II review... but in the grand scheme of things, it matters naught

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-11-2018 at 04:19 PM.
06-11-2018, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The actual review was an honest appraisal I thought, in some ways I think the reviewer was quite pleased to have a solid photographer's tool in his hands and revelling in the all controls in easy reach. The only thing lacking was the time honoured AP conclusion stating it is a camera designed by photographers for photographers. And they did mention it had the highest overall IQ for it price bracket. But the other guy's editorial was pure syndicate journalism with a editorial path dictated by the same group that seem to be running the ship at DPR, in my opinion of course, but in my defense I have been reading AP since the K10D was reviewed and was researching which camera / system to start off with and have witnessed a decline in their overall reporting, at least technically.
06-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #356
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ Very well summarised, Robbie. I agree completely...
06-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #357
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand why Pentax's decision to focus on certain markets and not on others is to be perceived as problematic. I'm pretty sure they have decided not to focus on the United States or Romania. Maybe it is because they think the return on investment wouldn't be worth it. Maybe they just don't understand those markets. That doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing...
06-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe they just don't understand those markets.
You could be right, but it is also quite possible that Ricoh could spend unlimited resources to promote the Pentax brand in in the U.S., Romania, and virtually every country that isn't Japan, without making a worthwhile difference (moving the needle in sales-speak).
06-11-2018, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #359
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You could be right, but it is also quite possible that Ricoh could spend unlimited resources to promote the Pentax brand in in the U.S., Romania, and virtually every country that isn't Japan, without making a worthwhile difference (moving the needle in sales-speak).
I don't know. John Wannamaker once said that half the money he spent on advertising is wasted, the problem was he didn't know which half. Part of the reason that Pentax's cameras as cheap as they are is because they don't spend a bunch on advertising. At the same time, it is hard to deny the fact that most people in the US don't even know the brand, or if they do it is from the K1000 they used to shoot with in their photography class at school.

I am convinced that it wouldn't cost a bunch to have a real social media presence, reboot Pentax Photo Gallery into something worthwhile, run some contests, and have a real You Tube channel. Put out interesting, worthwhile stuff and you sell your cameras in the process.

But I'm not exactly an advertising exec, so I don't know too much.
06-11-2018, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #360
Pentaxian

Canon's name comes from the Buddhist goddess of mercy, Kwanon. I'd say Pentax is more Shinto; smaller, less known, predominantly found in Japan, and incorporates the worship of spirits and a belief in sacred power (kami) in both animate and inanimate things. Now that sounds very Pentaxian.
Is pixe dust Shinto attribute... if so, where do I sign up?
Closed Thread