Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
40% of revenues sounds a lot to me.
Apparently that doesn't take R&D, marketing, and corporate overhead {cost of running distribution network, capital invested in inventory, management, etc} into account. Stockholders expect a reasonable return - I'm not sure what the figure is today, but I'm guessing it's at least 20%.

06-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #392
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
40% of revenues sounds a lot to me.
Gross margin, without marketing, commercial and general expenses.
06-13-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the Pentax-come-lately-reviewers were not around during the pre-Hoya days. If then, and during the Hoya days can't sink Pentax...then pretty much nothing can. For a moment, lets say that Ricoh has enough of "Pentax"... there is definitely enough Chinese money that would LOVE to buy the brand. It would not surprise me if that were to happen. Aside from DJI and a few other Chinese brands, there are few China-based known consumer brands. There are enough folks out there that would love to pour money into Pentax. Pentax doesn't because they are...well...Pentax. Ricoh finally understands after a few years that its probably best to leave Pentax alone. Ricoh as a camera brand (no surprise) is not as recognized as Pentax...especially in Asia. So if the slow down the reviewer is noting, is part of a Pentax demise...look to another sale if anything...which I doubt.
06-13-2018, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
F64 keeps selling Pentax, but they don't do anything to promote it as long as the Pentax dealer doesn't help them with nothing. Having Pentax in their shelves is more like a portfolio thing rather than a way of making money.

Ok, I understand that the profit may be small due to already cheap prices of Pentax gear compared to others and I understand that Pentax can't offer discounts and vouchers and cash back campains all day long, but they (the Pentax dealer) don't even try to do something for the consumers.
So, even if Ricoh is not interested in investing in Romanian market being to small for them to make it count, there are lots of things that can be done locally to be seen as a brand without spending money. First and most important is to have a dealer interested in selling and promoting the brand...
FWIW, this situation isn't specific to Romania. It looks about the same here in Canada. Pentax advertisement and promotions are rarely, if ever, seen from local store or countrywide from Pentax Canada. Most dealers will have some Pentax gear on their shelves but will not push it toward their clients, probably because they lack incentives to do so. And most of this gear will not be in stock anyway but only available "on order".

Something that always amaze me is that I receive emails from Canon, Nikon and Sony for "special days" at the local store when they launched a new camera, even if I never bought these kinds of gear. People from Canisony Canada are present to make you try gear (new and old since they also bring a lot of other stuff), offer special discounts and trade-in offer for your old gear. It would be nice if Pentax would have these kind of days where you can try cameras and lenses rarely available on shelves. Or something like the Fuji "try before you buy" program. But Pentax has nothing. You have to wait for the store to have a demo unit available on the shelves (supposing it ever gets there) and ask a clerk to try it, without expecting the clerk to know much about it and certainly not offering you anything else than "tag price"...

06-13-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #395
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Samwise.Gamgee Quote
One things that surprise me most is how can Ricoh afford to manufacture a quality camera like k-1 in this price ... and don't do almost any advertisement.
I think you answered your own question, Sam!
06-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
We needed this kind of article (and relay here) to speed up the K-1 giveaway.
Ok then....what are we talking about ?
06-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Ok then....what are we talking about ?
Read page 1

06-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Read page 1
'

Always good advice!
06-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #399

Photos: Gallery
I feel like I've been hearing this since my first Pentax back in '95. Seriously.
06-14-2018, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #400
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
I feel like I've been hearing this since my first Pentax back in '95. Seriously.
At least this lenghty thread makes more posts for the give away...
06-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #401
Veteran Member

At least this lenghty thread makes more posts for the give away...
Wait a sec... you have 159 posts in... exactly 1̶8̶ 8 (sorry, it's getting late here!) years and are talking about the giveaway?

Saddle up, buckle down and get busy!

Last edited by LensBeginner; 06-14-2018 at 02:02 PM.
06-14-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Wait a sec... you have 159 posts in... exactly 18 years and are talking about the giveaway?

Saddle up, buckle down and get busy!
You added an extra 10 years in there...
06-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You added an extra 10 years in there...
Too bad he couldn't just increase the number of posts also.
06-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Too bad he couldn't just increase the number of posts also.

Hahaha no I don't have superpowers... but between you and me, we are putting on a good show!
06-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Hahaha no I don't have superpowers... but between you and me, we are putting on a good show!
But this is more than a two person lift.
Closed Thread