Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
But this is more than a two person lift.
We'll get there, no problems

06-15-2018, 01:09 AM   #407
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ever since I bought into Pentax I've already heard that Pentax is doomed. Well it has been over 4 years now. Maybe we should undoom it. If there is such a word.
06-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Ever since I bought into Pentax I've already heard that Pentax is doomed. Well it has been over 4 years now. Maybe we should undoom it. If there is such a word.
Who invented the expression? I'm curious because I heard about "Pentax is doomed" mostly here, on Pentax forum. Being in trouble like Nikon was recently (maybe still is) is a completly different thing than being doomed. As long as a company doesn't lose money year after year for several years (if they resist few years), then is not doomed. Ricoh doesn't seem to lose money with Pentax. It's not gaining market share either. To me this expression is being use so much on this forum that at some point people will take it seriously (especially the new forum members) even if it is ment to be a joke, or sarcasm combined with a joke. And if I see this expression being used on social media, if I look at the profile of the person who used this expression, 90% of the time is a Pentaxian or an ex Pentaxian.
06-15-2018, 02:08 AM - 3 Likes   #409
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Who invented the expression? I'm curious because I heard about "Pentax is doomed" mostly here, on Pentax forum. Being in trouble like Nikon was recently (maybe still is) is a completly different thing than being doomed. As long as a company doesn't lose money year after year for several years (if they resist few years), then is not doomed. Ricoh doesn't seem to lose money with Pentax. It's not gaining market share either. To me this expression is being use so much on this forum that at some point people will take it seriously (especially the new forum members) even if it is ment to be a joke, or sarcasm combined with a joke. And if I see this expression being used on social media, if I look at the profile of the person who used this expression, 90% of the time is a Pentaxian or an ex Pentaxian.
I think most people reading it here would realise that, since we're a Pentax-oriented community, it's said "tongue in cheek". It's usually quoted when someone posts something negative about Pentax sales figures, scant marketing, product direction and road-maps, release delays, product performance etc., and I believe it originated here as a humorous response to such posts. A little bit of levity in threads such as this, from those who know the brand is anything but doomed

06-15-2018, 04:07 AM   #410
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's usually quoted when someone posts something negative about Pentax sales figures, scant marketing, product direction and road-maps, release delays, product performance etc.
We will be seeing it for many more years to come then
06-15-2018, 05:17 AM - 3 Likes   #411
Pentaxian

Who invented the expression?
Private Frazer - Wikipedia

Quote: He is noted for his catchphrase "we're doomed!"
06-15-2018, 05:23 AM   #412
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

He and his catchphrase are on a new stamp (along with other Dad's Army favourites) - I feel like stocking up

06-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

06-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #414
Banned

Ricoh-Imaging as camera business is a money loosing business for Ricoh. They have lost since 2011 more money then they ever made. This is due to the impairment last year. That being done, makes the current company less stressfull to ever make so much loss again.
06-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #415

Well i didn't think there were people that despised DPR as much or more than i. I even told a client that if they even mentioned DPR, Northrup, TCS, Art of the image, T-A, e.t.c. to me that i would have them thrown out. They laughed and got the hint.

Just got an idea for a sign above the cashier listing references that have no value. Save every one the trouble.

Last edited by solitudebound; 06-15-2018 at 07:05 AM.
06-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #416

"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Samuel Clemens lived long past his predicted death.
06-15-2018, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Ricoh-Imaging as camera business is a money loosing business for Ricoh. They have lost since 2011 more money then they ever made. This is due to the impairment last year. That being done, makes the current company less stressfull to ever make so much loss again.
Of course, that has nothing to do with Pentax. Except that they are owned by the same parent company.As for the lost more money than they ever made thing.... how did you figure out how much they made?

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.
06-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #418
Pentaxian

Given the lack of promotion of the brand, it seems to me that Pentax is the best kept secret in photography.
06-15-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #419
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
Well i didn't think there were people that despised DPR as much or more than i. I even told a client that if they even mentioned DPR, Northrup, TCS, Art of the image, T-A, e.t.c. to me that i would have them thrown out. They laughed and got the hint.

Just got an idea for a sign above the cashier listing references that have no value. Save every one the trouble.
I don't even want to know what those guys have to say/write these days. I have other photographers (real ones) that keeps me busy. Like Karl Taylor or Sails Chong for example. They are a great source of inspiration regarding what realy counts: photography. Talking about gear over and over again gives me headaches and I really don't care who wins this "war" regarding the best camera in terms of specs. Tell me about light, tell me about composition and I will stay awake 24 hours and discuss about these things.

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It's getting confusing. Some say that they are doing ok(ish), some don't. Well, I hope Pentax to stay in business, no metter if they will be under Ricoh brand or under another player protection.

---------- Post added 06-15-18 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Given the lack of promotion of the brand, it seems to me that Pentax is the best kept secret in photography.
I really can't argue that. Luckily the ones who know about this secret are happy with their gear.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 06-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.
06-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #420
Pentaxian

I don't even want to know what those guys have to say/write these days. I have other photographers (real ones) that keeps me busy. Like Karl Taylor or Sails Chong for example. They are a great source of inspiration regarding what realy counts: photography. Talking about gear over and over again gives me headaches and I really don't care who wins this "war" regarding the best camera in terms of specs. Tell me about light, tell me about composition and I will stay awake 24 hours and discuss about these things.
No kidding, what is this fascination with gear, buy camera and lens, use camera and lens. Everyone seems to think you are somehow better off if you know all the specs for every camera ever made. You aren't you just need to learn to use what you've got. These sites are for the most part a huge waste of time. Its OK to be interested, but, it's not really helping your photography.

My step daughter is still using our old K-x. It meets her needs. I'm not going to tell her to upgrade until she says "I was trying to do this and this and I had trouble getting a good image" I won't. If it works for her that's all I need to know. And when I look at her images, I realize, for at least 50% of what i do, it would still work for me. And the 50% it wouldn't be so good for, she doesn't do that stuff.
Closed Thread