Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #826
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
And since they are no longer Stigma (With perhaps the Art 18-35 being the exception,) it would be a welcome sight to have some of their newer lenses in FA mount.
Personally I am unaffected. Sigma doesn't currently make anything I want. Every one is different.

11-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Don't know if Canon & Nikon are, but recently in a interview with a Sony executive he said that Sony don't have any problem with third party lenses and they actually "help" companies to build them and give them the "rules" of how to do the appropiate mount... For Pentax it's a totally different story AFAIK, they have to do reverse engineering on their own.
Pentax, Canon, and Nikon are traditional optics companies that have been making lenses for roughly 100 years; Sony is an electronics company that purchased a traditional optics company, but seems to have tossed most of that and left it behind by now as they seem to be abandoning the A-mount. I treasure my Sony 10-20mm lens - actually both of them, since I had an EF-mount version several years before I came back to Pentax - but my K-mount version would have been even better if Sigma had been willing to purchase KAF3/KAF4-mount access from Pentax (*). Pentax's FF product would be better if Sigma and Tamron were willing to participate there, but that is true of new Canon and Nikon lenses also. So the only thing that makes Sony a "different story" is the low value they put on their mount.

(*) I wish my lens had an in-lens motor. I know Sigma could do that because the EF-mount version had that, of course, but I guess Sigma hadn't figured out KAF3 when they developed the lens I have. It was my decision to purchase the Sigma lens instead of saving up and purchasing a similar lens from Pentax.
11-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #828
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Hey, I didnt write that, thanks...
Sorry about that.. I quoted a quote that you did and just your name showed.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So the only thing that makes Sony a "different story" is the low value they put on their mount.
Indeed, but on the other hand that "low value" is what made them grow so fast in the market and develop good machines (and lenses), that "low value" actually benefit the customers at the end, like it or not, we can't deny that in just 5 years they develop a well established mount and ecosystem that is constantly growing.

Last edited by kooks; 11-29-2018 at 04:35 PM.
11-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #829
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Indeed, but on the other hand that "low value" is what made them grow so fast in the market and develop good machines (and lenses), that "low value" actually benefit the customers at the end, like it or not, we can't deny that in just 5 years they develop a well established mount and ecosystem that is constantly growing.
No, it allowed them to grow so fast; the growth was a result of their bodies, and would have been retarded if other companies hadn't made lenses available. I really doubt that business model would work for Canon, Nikon, or Pentax, though. I switched from Canon back to Pentax at a time when I didn't know the Sigma 10-20 was available in K-mount; the availability of 3rd-party lenses was absolutely not a factor in my decision to switch to Canon in 1995, nor in my decision to switch back to Pentax in 2015; I was interested in overall system and enough basic lenses. Canon, Nikon, and Pentax are complete camera companies - they do a good job of supporting their products themselves; I keep hoping that the KAF4 market will become large enough to encourage Tamron or Tokina or Sigma to buy into, but ultimately they need to support their own ecosystem.

11-29-2018, 06:07 PM - 5 Likes   #830

Photos: Gallery
No offence, can I suggest we remove topics like this? We should be the only brand to have a topic in our brand's forum with such negativity about the brand (and I don't mean only photography brands)

at least change the title of the topic. It's depressing to see this on the top every time visiting the forum
11-29-2018, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #831
Pentaxian

Don't worry. Not long for now, people reading this thread's title would ask, "Amateur who?"
11-29-2018, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #832
Pentaxian

Or it becomes the next 'Why I won't buy a K-3." which still makes it's way to the front page, 6 years later. Just write <satire> after the thread title.

11-30-2018, 04:00 AM - 2 Likes   #833
Pentaxian

Amateur Photographers (UK) = Joe the unknown plumber

"Amateur Photographers (UK)": Amateur Photographer - Wikipedia

So three years ago and three years further downturn ago they had 13,000 regular customers in total. I am quite confident the K-01 outsold them by a huge margin. So nobody takes Amateur Photographers (UK) seriously.

Then about the weight of opinions. Their total staff is 5 lonely people. One of them is s a forum admin. And from one you can assume it is the guy who takes care of layout, print and commercials. "The magazine" is actually three people or less.

That means the equivalent of "Amateur Photographers (UK)" opinion pieces is if the internet forum users Jim, Bob and Sue agree on an opinion.

Whoa!
11-30-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #834
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
"Amateur Photographers (UK)": Amateur Photographer - Wikipedia

So three years ago and three years further downturn ago they had 13,000 regular customers in total. I am quite confident the K-01 outsold them by a huge margin. So nobody takes Amateur Photographers (UK) seriously.

Then about the weight of opinions. Their total staff is 5 lonely people. One of them is s a forum admin. And from one you can assume it is the guy who takes care of layout, print and commercials. "The magazine" is actually three people or less.

That means the equivalent of "Amateur Photographers (UK)" opinion pieces is if the internet forum users Jim, Bob and Sue agree on an opinion.

Whoa!
I wonder how many articles critical of Fuji they print.

Your Wikipedia article says Fujifilm sponsor the readers' letters part of the magazine.
11-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #835
Banned

Wel try do get an agreement on a topic overhere and you realise that it is an accomplishment.
11-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wel try do get an agreement on a topic overhere and you realise that it is an accomplishment.
I'll start... "the sky is blue".
11-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #837
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Today it is light blue here - but most of Oct - March it is gray.
11-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #838
Banned

Overhere we had this week more something like LightSteelBlue

Kleurentabel
11-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #839
Pentaxian

Not true. Mine must be damaged. Poor quality control. Every night it goes black and no amount of battery removing can heal it. I am jumping (space)ship to Mars.
11-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #840
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Today it is light blue here - but most of Oct - March it is gray.
But even in Oct.- March, above the clouds it's still blue. I'm talking about absolute blue, not altered by moisture filters (sometimes called clouds) blue. I can't believe how many people don't get it.

---------- Post added 11-30-18 at 11:30 AM ----------

Not true. Mine must be damaged. Poor quality control. Every night it goes black and no amount of battery removing can heal it. I am jumping (space)ship to Mars.
You have the well known issue in your solar control block, it will cost $250 to have it repaired or you can do it yourself for $20,
Closed Thread