Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1125 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #871
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macabee Quote
When only film was used Nikon was a brand leader, now it is Canon with digital purely due to the fact that so much has been invested in lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
People who just need to take pictures because they're covering a news story or some such want "quick-and-dirty get-the-job-done with the least difficulty" cameras. Basically point-and-shoot using in-camera automagic processing.
Don't undersell newsmen. TV showed a scene in the Oval Office {Office of U.S. President} yesterday; when the cameras swept across the back of the room, and showed those covering events, I noticed a number of white lenses - quality 'glass'.

12-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #872

Photos: Gallery
Does this Andy Westlake have any anecdotal or inside source information to validate such a claim? Until he does...
12-15-2018, 01:54 AM - 2 Likes   #873
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
Does this Andy Westlake have any anecdotal or inside source information to validate such a claim? Until he does...
I would hazard a guess that the he knows no more or less than that which we discuss on this forum.

And ironically, as I posted elsewhere in the forum, AP recently ran an article on the best cameras to buy now (December 2018), and the K-70 and K1ii are both recommended in their respective categories (beginner and professional).

They also wrote a very positive article on the K1 with 24-70 f2.8 on a trip to the Faroes, in which the camera was praised highly indeed.The Faroe islands are wild and wet and windswept and a modern Pentax would be the camera of choice. They are not Pentax bashers at all, even though there have been a few negative posts on this forum. I am not an apologist for AP at all, but I think we need to be careful not to bash one of the very few magazines in the UK that show the strengths and unique features of our chosen marque. It would be easy for them to give up on Pentax like others have done, but they are generally even-handed. I think that Andy Westlake was musing and engaging in supposition - something we do quite well here!

I have just bought a brand new K1 and 28-105mm from SRS Microsystems for a great price (for the UK!) of £1299 and £269. I looked at the K1ii but seeing as I could get the K1 and a great lens for the price of the K1ii, that's just what I did. I shoot landscapes and portraits, not birds in flight or sports... I have a lovely collection of vintage glass that will be put to good use on my K1.

Can't wait!

I'm in for the long haul, like most of us here on this wonderful grouping of enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. As Adam said, one of the reasons not to switch to another brand is missing out on being part of Pentax Forums - tongue in cheek perhaps, but with a definite ring of truth!
12-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #874

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
OK.....more lenses in near future than I thought.....a clear plan about the different systems, new service like Japan and lenses and maybe September a clear statement about the Pentax future in the Ricoh family
Sorry, that must be all about this.
But, amateur photographer is so wrong.....wronger like the rain weather forecast for Las Vegas
I missed this, what else did i miss?

Looking forward to new lenses in 2019!

12-15-2018, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #875
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LXNights Quote
The people who know aren't talking and the people who talk the most know the least.

Certainly Mr. Westlake can see rates of release of new products and sales of mirrorless versus SLRs. For years, people have speculated about market contraction -- the idea being that there are too many brands for the number of units sold each year. The brands that have most often been named as closing up shop are Pentax and Olympus, both of which are relatively small players that could have their niches squeezed by other brands. Nikon has actually also been mentioned as a brand in a bit of danger as their market share has contracted a bunch too -- squeezed both by Canon and Sony and smartphones.

Regardless, all indications are that Ricoh has a lot of stuff planned for next year and past that point is anybody's guess.
12-15-2018, 04:25 AM   #876
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well, you can't ignore the laws of physics.
Sure you can - it's all a matter of choices and consequences. If you're willing to take the consequences of your actions, and can accept responsibility for your own decisions, you can, "live outside the laws of physics", though that time may be short.
12-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #877
Pentaxian

I'm curious how the k1 upgrade went. What are the financials?

If they came up with a k3 upgrade; new shutter, sensor and processor i'd go for it.

12-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #878
Pentaxian

It seems to me the K-1 upgrade was more popular than they expected - because of the long wait times and apparent scarcity of upgrade kits. But it wasn't made to make money out of it.

The K-1 upgrade worked because all that's required is a mainboard change. A K-3 upgrade, I'm afraid, would be impossible. Or rather, it would cost you as much as a new camera (the K-1 upgrade already being 500 euro).
They'd better make an entirely new model, rather than try to "patch" the K-3.
12-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #879

Andy who...?

Andy Westlake is always right - in his own mind! He rejects all educated suggestions that don't agree with his and that is why I cancelled my 20 year subscription to 'his' publication recently. The End.
12-19-2018, 01:09 AM   #880

I'm in it for the long haul too. Hoping to see some great new Pentax lenses for 2019!
12-19-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #881
Pentaxian

I would be happy to see these interesting exchanges taking place in another titleled thread....
12-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #882
Veteran Member

Somebody post a link to the article, please? Thanks
12-27-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #883
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
It was one of the Viewpoint columns, so unless one has the actual magazine or online access it isn't possible.

In all the subsequent magazine articles Pentax cameras have been praised for the things we love about them, and lightly criticised for the same things we don't like. The article generated a life of its own and I am fairly certain that the vast majority of people did not in fact read the offending paragraphs!

I did, and found it to be no more speculative than anywhere else. As I have consistently pointed out, Amateur Photographer is one of the few voices, in this country at least, that promotes and reviews Pentax cameras. As I have written elsewhere, both the K-1ii and the K-70 were praised as excellent buys in AP's recent article on best cameras in various categories. The K-1ii was highly commended in the pro category, and the K-70 in the beginner category (although we all know that it is more than a 'beginner' camera) so there is a voice for Pentax, and it seems churlish to bash the magazine - and it is juts a magazine, not the Bible! - that shows our favourite make of camera in a positive light.
12-28-2018, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #884
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Probably a copyright issue with this, but here is the offending article that may help informed discussion:
Attached Images

12-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #885
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Probably a copyright issue with this, but here is the offending article that may help informed discussion:
So, he's just saying what many have said here - Pentax isn't releasing new products very fast any more; I'm guessing he had no or little experience with the modern offerings, so he has no idea of the joy of using them at higher ISO values.
Iso 25600! - PentaxForums.com

2019 starts next week ..... we shall see what Ricoh has planned for Pentax's "100th".
Closed Thread