Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 04:57 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Err...which company do you think has a long lifecycle?
Cameras are mostly computers nowadays and have the same short lifecycle. Huge improvements every 1.5yrs. Models last as long. What do you have for a P&S cam? Bet it's no longer sold
No comment. Check k20d lifecycle. Announced end of January

Pentax K20D: Digital Photography Review

I want new and better cameras as well, dont make any mistakes in that. But dont do k20d upgrade now, do k2000d and k1d and for god sake release some lenses instead !!!

And announce k30d or whatever in January again. Canon has surely longer than 8 month cycle as well as Nikon.

09-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Unfortunately all the rumours, German advertising indicate that we're going to see one new camera from Pentax at Photokina: entry level camera.

IMHO Pentax now is in the situation in which they were in *ist times. They made an attempt to catch up with K100D, K10D. It was really sucsessful attempt. However it seems it took so much effort for them that they left breatheless slowed down while competition just cruised past them ( Canon 1000D/450D/50D, Nikon D90/D300, Sony a200/a300/a350/a700)...

Pentax lineup doesn't look competitive for me at all at the moment.

They now desperately need to bring out small, cheap real entry level camera (K200D - AA batteries + LiIon battery - weather sealing + LiveView + larger buffer). Also they really need SDM version of 18-55mm lens to bundle it with entry level camera. Then such camera will be competitive against 1000D, D60, a200.

Update K200D. - AA batteries + LiIon battery + much larger buffer + more dedicated buttons.

All K20D needs is new designed shutter and mirror box to allow faster continuous shooting. Also it desperately needs new AF system. While current focus would be OK for K200D and camera on the level below, K20D autofocus doesn't look good compared to it's competitors. Also metering must be improved. Replace RAW button with customisable button. IMHO no real redesign/new sensor needed for K20D image processing part.

Add magnesium body, direct buttons for drive mode, flash mode, WB, remove internal flash, add larger pentaprism with 100% coverage and you'll have camera which will compede with D300/a700.

Am I asking too much?
Why 18-55 SDM ??? Even the older version beats the Canon/Nikon/Sony kit lenses (Sony also has some screw drive AF lens too )

More lenses I would like to see and more affordable primes (not only expensive Limiteds)

K200D is good as it is (the best camera you can buy for that money and even better !!! ) and K20D also (for the same reasons) (for me).

A K2000D would be nice to resemble the MZ Pentax series and/or Olympus 410/420 (but with thinner body) and if it would be even cheaper than the K200D (at the level of Nikon D40 let's say).

Truth is I don't understand the market : Pentax's cameras have the most features (which are for help for the photographer) that a camera of that price can have and still less sales (than Canon/Nikon) .
People should know that the photographer makes the photo and not the camera and concentrate on what a photographer needs more. For example K200D is the only camera in its category with : plastic coated metal body + weather sealed, 11 focusing points of which 9 cross type (Nikon D60 has only three!), very good viewfinder (better than D60, Sony A200/300/350 and Olys), top LCD, full compatibility with older Pentax lenses (KA/KAF) and partial with others (K/M42) and working stabiliser with any lens mounted and more, with focus confirmation , AA batteries, cheapest and most common power source , optional vertical grip (yes, Canon has it also), etc.
09-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
I want new and better cameras as well, dont make any mistakes in that. But dont do k20d upgrade now, do k2000d and k1d and for god sake release some lenses instead !!!
I'd like lenses as well but unfortunately, the big feature push is in the body at the moment in the main competitors. Leaps and bounds every 1-1.5 years. It's pretty impressive. No sure if you were around in the film days, but back then it was every 3-4 years because most of it was mechanical.

In the digital age, I just look at the body as the equivalent of film. Instead of spending money buying/developing film, you can pretty much commit yourself to upgrading your "film" (the body) every 2 years for roughly the same cost as film for a big improvement in image quality...

Just be glad you didn't buy the K20D at full $1200 list price when it came out
09-11-2008, 05:20 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Just be glad you didn't buy the K20D at full $1200 list price when it came out
I just picked up a body for $669 online USA. If a new one comes out I'll just wait until it drops to half it's price as well. I may not have the latest and greatest but I'll get quality equipment at a price I can justify. Don't forget, that's coming from the perspective of a recreational photographer, I don't make my living from it.

09-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Upkeep in the competition.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Pentax lineup doesn't look competitive for me at all at the moment.
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
All K20D needs is new designed shutter and mirror box to allow faster continuous shooting. Also it desperately needs new AF system. While current focus would be OK for K200D and camera on the level below, K20D autofocus doesn't look good compared to it's competitors. Also metering must be improved. Replace RAW button with customisable button. IMHO no real redesign/new sensor needed for K20D image processing part.

Add magnesium body, direct buttons for drive mode, flash mode, WB, remove internal flash, add larger pentaprism with 100% coverage and you'll have camera which will compede with D300/a700.

Am I asking too much?
Nope. You are just asking what all other DSLR vendors have already offered!
09-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

As someone who's relatively new to dSLR world, I'm just excited to see what Pentax does
09-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
I just picked up a body for $669 online USA. If a new one comes out I'll just wait until it drops to half it's price as well. I may not have the latest and greatest but I'll get quality equipment at a price I can justify. Don't forget, that's coming from the perspective of a recreational photographer, I don't make my living from it.
sorry but may i ask where did you get it for 699$ that seems a little TOO low and you might be ordering it from one of those scam sites
09-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
sorry but may i ask where did you get it for 699$ that seems a little TOO low and you might be ordering it from one of those scam sites
I'll let you know if they scammed me when the package arrives. Due to arrive tomorrow, confirmed by FedEX. I confirmed everything on phone before purchase and seemed OK so far. Paid by CC so I can chargeback if anything goes wrong.

And, sorry, my bad, it was $686.00 not $669 (made too many purchases lately). K20D at Wilddigital.com

09-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Wow all those prices look very attractive...
09-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #25

I'll let you know if they scammed me when the package arrives. Due to arrive tomorrow, confirmed by FedEX. I confirmed everything on phone before purchase and seemed OK so far. Paid by CC so I can chargeback if anything goes wrong.

And, sorry, my bad, it was $686.00 not $669 (made too many purchases lately). K20D at Wilddigital.com
WildDigital.com Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
09-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Buy after Photokina

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Wow all those prices look very attractive...
Even those are very attractive, if I really wanted to buy the K20D, I would still act after the Photokina, just to see if new cameras are coming out or not and then decide which to buy.
09-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #27

Getting off topic, but possible grey market item as indicated by their site?

WildDigital.com - About WildDigital.com

QuoteQuote:
Wild Digital LLC also carries imported/Grey Market products which are not covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty.
09-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #28
Site Supporter

They seem like a real nice and trustworthy operation.
09-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #29
Inactive Account

We'll see. So far so good. I did get the typical "contact us about your order" but didn't purchase any of the high priced accessories. Before ordering I confirmed I was purchasing the US model with applicable warranty good in Canada (even called Pentax Canada - which is 5 min from my house) and confirmed they honour the manufacturer's 1 year warranty here in Canada. Wild Digital tried to sell me the 4 year warranty. Guy was good on phone, a little pressure on the accessories but when I said "no" he didn't push. Like I said, shipped to arrive tomorrow, got all the confirmation e-mails from Wild Digital and from FedEX directly with confirmation/tracking info, and everything seems on the up and up so far. Hopefully I don't receive a brick in the package.....lol

As long as I get the product I want for the price I want all's good. also, with the reviews you read about these companies, only people with a beef post, those who have a good smooth transaction don't generally take the time to go and detail all the good things that they've encountered, so I always take those with a grain of salt.

Stay tuned....
09-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #30

Judging from that ratings site, it may come without a battery or some other stuff.