Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
Leafs fans are easily susceptible to scams.

After all, they actually have been conned (for 40 years, no less) into believing there is a pro hockey team based in Toronto.

Not to mention there is no such word as "leafs". The plural of leaf is leaves.
Haha...

Notice my username is singular.

09-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
I bet a dollar they'll call tomorrow to tell you that "unfortunately" your order hasn't been shipped and it's on backorder!
You owe me a dollar, Fedex just confirmed they've released the package from customs and it will be in my office today.

What have I got to lose, either I get the body for a good price or I don't and I chargeback the credit card, ship back the wrong item and I'm out what, $10-$15 for shipping, no worries from my end.
09-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #63
Inactive Account

That is logical ftpaddict, but is Pentax capable of delivering and maintaining such a lineup (I hope it is).

I'm definitely in market for an upgrade (have K10D ATM) and I'm willing to wait until February for the upgrade to be available in stores here in Slovenia (be it K××D or K×D, depends on the price/performance).

We'll see where Pentax is going in a few days.
09-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
Yes, I think we've reached a point now where we can safely divide the pentax users here from photographers to trend chasing gimmicky zealots.
For the money you will all spend (Based on speculation?!?!) cleaning your underpants, rather invest in decent glass, or better, just go out and have fun. Like previously stated, it's not only pentax who does this, it happens all round, and who said it's definitely going to be this way?
So what. I love my K20D, a super won't budge my opinion, and neither would a K30D or a KDIAF or whatever.
You mean the photographers from the brand loyalist?

There is nothing wrong with wanting a better camera. If you don't feel like its for you then don't buy it. K20D is and always will be a great camera. Which functions people talk about are gimmicky?

09-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
I agree with you 100%.

For those of us who have bought K20D's, any so called "Super" version being released this soon after the initial K20D release will be a slap in the face. I sure know that is how I will feel.
Well, you might be pissed off with your own bad luck, but why be pissed off with Pentax? Would you rather they didn't introduce new models? Are they supposed to embargo all sales on existing stock for three months before the sale of a new model?

To describe the introduction of a new model as a 'slap in the face' is a bit ... er... lets say 'emotional'.
09-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #66
Mef
Inactive Account

I was planning to get my hands on a K20D asap, but having seen some creative videos from the nikon d90, I'll wait and hope the K20D super/K30D/whatever will have a video mode at least as good as the d90. It's the feature that is now my main interest in upgrading - I know it has nothing to do with the main purpose of a camera, but it adds a layer of creative possibilities that is not possible with a usual (=affordable) silly (=lack of DOF, and not-so-good IQ) camcorder.

I want that more than a new AF and shutter
09-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mef Quote
I was planning to get my hands on a K20D asap, but having seen some creative videos from the nikon d90, I'll wait and hope the K20D super/K30D/whatever will have a video mode at least as good as the d90. It's the feature that is now my main interest in upgrading - I know it has nothing to do with the main purpose of a camera, but it adds a layer of creative possibilities that is not possible with a usual (=affordable) silly (=lack of DOF, and not-so-good IQ) camcorder.

I want that more than a new AF and shutter
A camcorder and dSLR is like wanting Porche to make a club wagon.

09-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #68
Mef
Inactive Account

The point is not to replace a camcorder. But consider affordable camcorders like P&S : they are designed for "souvenirs" (holydays, family events).

A movie mode on DSLRs fills the gap between pro and consumers camcorders, and could be interesting to video enthusiast amateurs, exactly like they already are for photography
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #69
Inactive Account

You want video mode more than a shutter and AF upgrade?! Did I just read that?

What is the MAIN purpose of a DSLR? It sure ain't video shooting. With a shutter and AF update you just get so much more than with a stupid video mode. You can buy a compact camera for that or a Nokia ... um sorry I meant Nikon (it's just too easy to confuse the two ... except that one is missing the phone and SMS feature for now).

Jesus people, a DSLR is meant for taking pictures and a video camera is meant for shooting video. This video mode on the Noink D90 is just to lure more n00bs from the compact realm and force them to buy expensive lenses and accessories.

I know it's inevitable (video mode on DSLRs) because the market demands it but PLEASE Pentax, make a camera for photographers, not toys for children. The K10D was and still is a perfect tool for taking pics it just needs a shutter and AF upgrade, we don't ask for anything more.
09-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #70
Veteran Member

The point is not to replace a camcorder. But consider affordable camcorders like P&S : they are designed for "souvenirs" (holydays, family events).

A movie mode on DSLRs fills the gap between pro and consumers camcorders, and could be interesting to video enthusiast amateurs, exactly like they already are for photography
So how about this:.......

Red: Red Confirms DSLR, Says It's Bigger "Revolution" Than Red One
09-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I'll wait and hope the K20D super/K30D/whatever will have a video mode at least as good as the d90.
As good a video mode as D90? That's not hard to achieve... D90's video mode is pretty crappy, if you ask me. No AF, mono sound, low 24fps, and limited to 5 minutes of video.... Sure it's a start, but no, it won't be too useful for me.
09-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Sorry, fejker, but you just don't know what you're talking about... Can you see the difference between pictures from small sensor P&S and APS-C DSLRs? So let me tell you that even $10K camcorders have sensors not bigger than 2/3"... I guess the cheapest cam with big sensor is RED One and it's like $17500 just for a body... Now think about creative possibilities and cinematic quality you'll get using APS-C camcorder and different lenses... And its just around $1K... That's like a dream come true for someone wanting quality and artistic freedom but not being able to afford *real* camcorder.
09-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #73
Mef
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
You want video mode more than a shutter and AF upgrade?! Did I just read that?

What is the MAIN purpose of a DSLR? It sure ain't video shooting. With a shutter and AF update you just get so much more than with a stupid video mode. You can buy a compact camera for that or a Nokia ... um sorry I meant Nikon (it's just too easy to confuse the two ... except that one is missing the phone and SMS feature for now).

Jesus people, a DSLR is meant for taking pictures and a video camera is meant for shooting video. This video mode on the Noink D90 is just to lure more n00bs from the compact realm and force them to buy expensive lenses and accessories.

I know it's inevitable (video mode on DSLRs) because the market demands it but PLEASE Pentax, make a camera for photographers, not toys for children. The K10D was and still is a perfect tool for taking pics it just needs a shutter and AF upgrade, we don't ask for anything more.
What is the main purpose of a forum, should I ask

Anyway, I was just saying, *I*, *me*, want the video mode more than a new shutter or AF. I'm actually quite happy with the ones I have on the K100D. And I don't think I'm alone on this.

I see the DSLR as a creative tool, and the video mode adds a layer of creativity ; where a new shutter and AF would "only" add comfort.

Take a look at what you can do with the nikon d90 : Nikon D90 footage on Vimeo
This ain't no stupid video mode, you can't do that on usual camcorders, and P&S and phones are just a world farther.

Would it only be for brand loyalty, you should think it would be great for pentax to take his share of the coming d90 trend - as it's already starting to become a cult camera - and not lagging behind and letting nikon be the "only one".

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Sorry, fejker, but you just don't know what you're talking about... Can you see the difference between pictures from small sensor P&S and APS-C DSLRs? So let me tell you that even $10K camcorders have sensors not bigger than 2/3"... I guess the cheapest cam with big sensor is RED One and it's like $17500 just for a body... Now think about creative possibilities and cinematic quality you'll get using APS-C camcorder and different lenses... And its just around $1K... That's like a dream come true for someone wanting quality and artistic freedom but not being able to afford *real* camcorder.

Thanks for the help.

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
As good a video mode as D90? That's not hard to achieve... D90's video mode is pretty crappy, if you ask me. No AF, mono sound, low 24fps, and limited to 5 minutes of video.... Sure it's a start, but no, it won't be too useful for me.
If you're really interested in artistic video ("enthusiast amateur" as they say), the lack of AF and the time limit are not much a flaw.

Last edited by Mef; 09-12-2008 at 06:52 PM.
09-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
For those of us who have bought K20D's, any so called "Super" version being released this soon after the initial K20D release will be a slap in the face. I sure know that is how I will feel.
This type of reaction is most puzzling to me. I don't understand this at all. Why would a new model affect how you feel with the one you bought? We all know before plunging into the digital era that the life cycle of any hardware would be pretty short - as compared with old film days. Even lenses you buy now would not have the longevity one might expect. If you can't stand not having the best hardware, be prepared to upgrade to a new one every year...
09-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Who needs AF? All real movies are made without AF. 24fps is a film standard, so it's good enough. Have you ever seen one take that is longer than 5min?... Yeah, I know, there is full lenght russian movie done like that, but that's not that common. Sound and overall ergonomy will be only issues to overcome...