Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
dopeytree: Not pissed at all, I just want improvement. And if they dump AF improvement over some stupid video mode then I will be pissed.
Basic vdeio mode is rather easy to do. If the sensor allows it, basicaly you just need to put a microphone in the camera, and code the firmware so it wraps all in an mpg (or whatever equivalent) container. This is more or less free.

AF is a totally different beast and effort (which doesn't mean it shouldn't be improved).

09-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, that's a good idea...

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
How about the Pentax N Digital?
name it after the failed Contax that destroyed that venerable company, the sensor of which was also in the first Pentax full-frame digital camera that was pulled. A huge digital bullet which Pentax barely, but wisely, dodged.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The AD of K20D super from B&H Photo is real.
But, they put old data from K20D with K20D's camera number.
Where is it?
09-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
No, the KxxD - competes head to head to the D90, just like the K10D did compete with the D80. The KxD is the A700/D300/E3 market segment.
Just like there was room for a camera above the K10D that could compete with the D200 instead of D80, there is room for a camera above the K20D that could compete with the D300 and the coming D400. (since the D90 comes now, I expect the D400 to be released at the PMA show).

The Pentax K20D and the Sony A700 is in the exact same class as all tests points out. The K10D was a class above the D80 as also all test said, and most compared it to the D200. Assuming that Pentax follow Nikons model placement model for model is futile. They don't and they won't (nor do anyone else for that matter!). Neither will Pentax meet all Nikon models as they are a 4,4% marketshare player and simply cannot fill every thinkable niche like Nikon can with their 40% marketshare.
As for the naming of the models, it may well be that FF will not use the K-name. But then again, there are suggestion that the new entry level (K2000D?) will not use the K-name either. So maybe the k-naming is on its way out?

09-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
Well-put. Take heed, Pentax marketing Dept. Hopefully the K2000D will be the effortless-transition DSLR first-time users will fall in love with.
Do you really want this mythical designed-for-entry-level-transition camera, or is this just armchair CEO'ing?

Because I hope that Pentax continues to go slightly against the trend and follows what they've done with the K200D: bring features other brands intentionally leave off their lower-end models down to the smaller and cheaper bodies. They don't need to try and displace Canon and Nikon in the mass market, and they don't need to compete at the rarefied high-end either. Instead, make solid cameras for the advanced amateur and technically-savvy pro-market, and they've got a great niche.
09-14-2008, 04:13 AM   #96
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
As for the naming of the models, it may well be that FF will not use the K-name. But then again, there are suggestion that the new entry level (K2000D?) will not use the K-name either. So maybe the k-naming is on its way out?

The K series lower end camera was the KM. Why not a KM-D now?? Then to follow why not a KX-D and the top K2-D? Who knows?
09-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #97
Veteran Member

what gets me is the xxD do we really need the D anymore (from any manufacturer), if some makes a film slr they could call it a xxxF

(then again they could call it the LFD (late for dinner) (which ends in D) for all I really care about naming
09-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
The K series lower end camera was the KM. Why not a KM-D now?? Then to follow why not a KX-D and the top K2-D? Who knows?

I don't think Pentax will use the same name as for a film slr from the past. Therefore, I don't think there will ever be a K1000D or a K2D, but then I may be wrong...
I agree that the "D" is superfluous these days!

09-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #99

If FF camera will be under another name, does it mean it won't support K- bayonet lenses?
09-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #100
Veteran Member

After the K series, Pentax should introduce the M series. Hint hint hint.
09-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #101
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
If FF camera will be under another name, does it mean it won't support K- bayonet lenses?
Maybe they introduce a new style mount, but not very different from K mount. Meanwhile there is a patent from Pentax which describes in detail, a mount adapter which maintains full compatibility from previous design.
Rui
09-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #102

NO MOVIE MODE ON DSLRs!!!!

Jesus people, a DSLR is meant for taking pictures and a video camera is meant for shooting video. This video mode on the Noink D90 is just to lure more n00bs from the compact realm and force them to buy expensive lenses and accessories.

I know it's inevitable (video mode on DSLRs) because the market demands it but PLEASE Pentax, make a camera for photographers, not toys for children. The K10D was and still is a perfect tool for taking pics it just needs a shutter and AF upgrade, we don't ask for anything more.[/QUOTE]

Thank YOU for saying that!!! DSLRs are for photography. Use a P&S for clips of the babies and holidays! My K200D will only be for creating great photographs and I love it. It runs circles around Nik's D60/D40x and Can's XTI/XT. The XSI is a decent camera, just feels like a toy out of a cereal box, though.

Pentax has to stay marketable and keep up or hold on to it's fan base. It's a business, guys, so they will do what needs to be done.
09-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #103

Uuuuuhgggh!!!
K200D
Pentaxian210's latest slideshow on Flickr
09-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #104
Veteran Member

damn! k20d replacement. i am doomed!!!!

i've been reading this thread, though i should be sleeping. i guess i was just fascinated to see where it is going. i am shocked, how can anybody be so pissed about a new model coming out? how does that change what the k20d is? i find it so hard to find enough time to shoot to my hearts content that i can barely follow what new bodies are realeased by pentax, canon, nikon (what does sony have to do with dslrs, btw? was that a joke?), let alone actually care. yes, i do have a k20d, and i love it, even a little bit more than my former k10d (well done, pentax!). i can understand people with specific needs/feature requirements, but how can anyone "photographic" care so much about a new model coming out? will the current one stop working by magic when the new one will come out? or maybe just explode? are we all turning from photographers (image creators? photo enthusiasts? hello?) into tech freaks and consumers? if you feel offended about a _possibility_ of a k20d replacement, honestly, you got the wrong camera, and are probably in the wrong camp altogether, in the first place (go sony, and tell as what it feels like in a year).

af and fps: yeah, we all know about it, pentax sucks. meanwhile people shoot with them and seem to cope somehow. sure, fast af is nice, fast fps is too (useless to me, but who cares what i want), but a camera is something i live with, i could never live with a rebel (sorry, i have respect for canon, but what the hell is that?!), and i did own a k100d, loved it, and still miss it sometimes. we seem to forget and take for granted how our cameras are an extension of our hand, i read here about several unfortunate photographers who switched camp for very specific reasons (i understand them, and respect their informed choice), and were a bit bitter about loosing the superb ergonomy, it's sad, but the truth seems to be pentax remained alone on the "designed by and for enthusiasts" market (photo enthusiasts, not tech enthusiasts, mind you), nikon for instance seems to be .. ahem.. busy doing other things well (movie mode for d90, hell, i didn't know about that).

btw, i got my k20d because i needed a second k10d body, and they were just too expensive and hard to find, so the small extra price to pay for the k20d (with the benefit of getting rid of the last component, in my equipment of any kind, from that pesky game-consoles maker, sic) was worth it for me. i just bought it and started shooting, never looked back. i hereby testify i am as bad a photographer with it as i was with the k10d: i have long realized it's my brain/"programming" i need to upgrade to get better pictures.

nanok, walking away dazed and amazed
09-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
damn! k20d replacement. i am doomed!!!!

nanok, walking away dazed and amazed

Gosh...not sure why a company would want to improve their products and try to get the jump on their competition. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Better we just not change...less risk that way.