Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
Reality check:
the D700 replaces the D300 in most buyers'hearts.
Used D300 sales skyrocket since the D700 has been launched.
Very true. A wedding photog friend who bought a D300 recently returned it in time to get a D700. Helps immensely at high ISO because of the bigger photosites.

But in Nikon marketing's eyes, that's not the goal. From their viewpoint, they have low/mid/high end cameras in both APS-C and FF segments. They have all their bases covered and have a full lineup (including really nice zoom lenses that are macro resolution) to kick Canon's butt with. And I'd say they're doing a really good job at this point...

09-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, average Joe coming from P&S doesn't understand that nice focussing ring is good. He doesn't know that non-rotating front element is good. He doesn't care about lens hood. He doesn't pixelpeep. He just tries camera in store and instead of copletely silent Nikon and Canon focussing he hears ZZZZZZZ-ZZZZZZZZ! And he says "No, I don't want that noisy camera!".
Well, I've just send my k10d to Pentax for repairs and the reseller give me a brand new Canon 450D kit with the 18-55 IS for the time my camera will be away. I can't believe how crappy this canon is, it really feel like a toy for childrens. Even a K100D feel much more solid. Anyway, the lens is a micro motor type and I could assure you that focusing is noisy and pretty slow. Moreover, it is also very unreliable compared to my K10D. So, until you got a ring type lens for C or N (generally means more $$ than the body itself), you couldn't say that.
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Claude21. There is a lot of "blabla" going on, like "if Pentax don't do what I want, I'll quit..." etc...
I think they have forgotten why they have bought a K10D or perhaps they did it for wrong reason.
09-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
but if they call it k20d super and it will have better focusing or newer prime processor than I will cry (i wont, i will be pissed off).
I agree with you 100%.

For those of us who have bought K20D's, any so called "Super" version being released this soon after the initial K20D release will be a slap in the face. I sure know that is how I will feel.

I hope they have concentrated on one side or the other (although I reckon a lower entry level DSLR is stupid, the K200D is so cheap as it is).

Mind you... none of this will move me away from Pentax. I have a nice glass collection now and I'm happy with my photography. No need to change :-)

09-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
I hope they have concentrated on one side or the other (although I reckon a lower entry level DSLR is stupid, the K200D is so cheap as it is).

Mind you... none of this will move me away from Pentax. I have a nice glass collection now and I'm happy with my photography. No need to change :-)
Cheap, but I'd still buy one for family just starting out with a DSLR, and it would get the girlfriend to leave the K10D all to me as well
09-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Can I blame Pentax for selling me expensive k20d month and half ago and sudden introduction of k20d super or k30d ? This will really piss me of, such a short life cycle that I dont want to support Pentax anymore if this is true ...
HELLO this happens with every major brand. Canon went from the 20D to the 50D in a year, so they had 3 new bodies. It is technology and it will always change. Get what suits your needs.
09-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I have trouble understanding why pentax would replace the K20D just 8 months after it hit stores.

I think there is a better chance that there is about to be a body just above the K20D, and the price of the K20D is dropping to reflect that.

At 8 months the K20D is less then 1/2 of it's expected life.

09-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #53
Veteran Member

if they do release a K20D Super with improved AF capabilities (don't care about the rest of the wish lists) then I will buy one
09-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Yes, I think we've reached a point now where we can safely divide the pentax users here from photographers to trend chasing gimmicky zealots.
For the money you will all spend (Based on speculation?!?!) cleaning your underpants, rather invest in decent glass, or better, just go out and have fun. Like previously stated, it's not only pentax who does this, it happens all round, and who said it's definitely going to be this way?
So what. I love my K20D, a super won't budge my opinion, and neither would a K30D or a KDIAF or whatever.
09-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
We'll see. So far so good. I did get the typical "contact us about your order" but didn't purchase any of the high priced accessories. Before ordering I confirmed I was purchasing the US model with applicable warranty good in Canada (even called Pentax Canada - which is 5 min from my house) and confirmed they honour the manufacturer's 1 year warranty here in Canada. Wild Digital tried to sell me the 4 year warranty. Guy was good on phone, a little pressure on the accessories but when I said "no" he didn't push. Like I said, shipped to arrive tomorrow, got all the confirmation e-mails from Wild Digital and from FedEX directly with confirmation/tracking info, and everything seems on the up and up so far. Hopefully I don't receive a brick in the package.....lol

As long as I get the product I want for the price I want all's good. also, with the reviews you read about these companies, only people with a beef post, those who have a good smooth transaction don't generally take the time to go and detail all the good things that they've encountered, so I always take those with a grain of salt.

Stay tuned....
I bet a dollar they'll call tomorrow to tell you that "unfortunately" your order hasn't been shipped and it's on backorder!
09-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Price drop might be just a reaction to market.

Oh and I want FF, 5 FPS and better AF or I'll cry and tell my momma and Pentax will bankrupt.

Last edited by Matjazz; 09-12-2008 at 05:04 AM.
09-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
I'll let you know if they scammed me when the package arrives. Due to arrive tomorrow, confirmed by FedEX. I confirmed everything on phone before purchase and seemed OK so far. Paid by CC so I can chargeback if anything goes wrong.

And, sorry, my bad, it was $686.00 not $669 (made too many purchases lately). K20D at Wilddigital.com
That's one of the infamous Brooklyn, NY scam sites. Sorry to tell you.
09-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"They have all their bases covered and have a full lineup (including really nice zoom lenses that are macro resolution) to kick Canon's butt with. And I'd say they're doing a really good job at this point..."

Interesting to note that one of the Newsweek sports photographers in his Olympics blog said that there were a lot of sports photographers at the Olympics who were frustrated with malfunctions with their Canons. He went on to say that he was going to be taking a serious look at switching to Nikon as are many other very serious pro sports photographers. Of course, it is nice to have a virtually limitless budget to switch over, buy all the lenses you could want, and 5-6 new D3 bodies. haha

"I have trouble understanding why pentax would replace the K20D just 8 months after it hit stores."

Which is why I think some are advocating that they not replace it, but release a model above the K20D keeping the K20D at advanced hobbyist and something like a K2D as a semi-pro model. There is certainly room in the lineup IMO.
09-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Hmmmm..., Leafs Fan?

Leafs fans are easily susceptible to scams.

After all, they actually have been conned (for 40 years, no less) into believing there is a pro hockey team based in Toronto.

Not to mention there is no such word as "leafs". The plural of leaf is leaves.
09-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Which is why I think some are advocating that they not replace it, but release a model above the K20D keeping the K20D at advanced hobbyist and something like a K2D as a semi-pro model. There is certainly room in the lineup IMO.

Hmm; no. Pentax' lineup should go like this:

KxD - with a 36x24 sensor, fast, accurate; good for sports and whatnot (going against A900, D700, 5D) (maybe with a built-in vertical grip to impress the roosters)

KxxD - APS-C sensor (going head-to-head against D300, 40/50D, A700)

KxxxD (competing with 450D, E-520, A200/300/350)

KxxxxD ( vs. D60, E-410, 1000D)