Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D will be replaced very soon? (Signs of..)

There have been two abnormal phenomenons recently at two large camera chain shop companies in Hong Kong. Either there is no more K20D units at many branch shops of the "Boardway" and many of the K20D goods disappeared there "suddenly" just a while ago. And, at another large chain shop company called the "Citicall", the K20D prices are being cut crazily and price could drop significantly within a few days recently and that happened for several times already in just a few weeks.

A guy who has just purchased a K20D + DA 16-45 Kit at Citicall at only HK$8,100 (US$1038) and actually the body worths about US$850 for the cost breakdown ratio he writes (and thus his new DA 16-45 is just for US$188 only!):-

K20D´î¥ª»ù - Pentax °Q½×°Ï - DCHome.net ¼Æ½X¤Ñ¦a½×¾Â *»´ä²Ä¤@*ӼƽX¬Û¾÷ºô¯¸ - Powered by Discuz!

(Post in Traditional Chinese, use BabelFish if needed)

In fact, this price level is already the same as what Samsung has announced for the suggested retail price of the GX-20.

So, what do these two incidents hint? My guess is that quite possibly a K20D replacement (K30D or K20D Super or whatever it is named) is coming very soon! If it is really true, it is very likely that we shall see it in the Photokina. And, Pentax may also discontinue the DA 16-45 very soon and replace it with the more expensive DA 17-70 (as the shops seem to try hard to get rid of the DA 16-45 stocks soonest, also).

( Original Post with all embedded URLs contained: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Photokina is Coming Close )

09-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
There have been two abnormal phenomenons recently at two large camera chain shop companies in Hong Kong. Either there is no more K20D units at many branch shops of the "Boardway" and many of the K20D goods disappeared there "suddenly" just a while ago. And, at another large chain shop company called the "Citicall", the K20D prices are being cut crazily and price could drop significantly within a few days recently and that happened for several times already in just a few weeks.

A guy who has just purchased a K20D + DA 16-45 Kit at Citicall at only HK$8,100 (US$1038) and actually the body worths about US$850 for the cost breakdown ratio he writes (and thus his new DA 16-45 is just for US$188 only!):-

K20D´î¥ª»ù - Pentax °Q½×°Ï - DCHome.net ¼Æ½X¤Ñ¦a½×¾Â *»´ä²Ä¤@*ӼƽX¬Û¾÷ºô¯¸ - Powered by Discuz!

(Post in Traditional Chinese, use BabelFish if needed)

In fact, this price level is already the same as what Samsung has announced for the suggested retail price of the GX-20.

So, what do these two incidents hint? My guess is that quite possibly a K20D replacement (K30D or K20D Super or whatever it is named) is coming very soon! If it is really true, it is very likely that we shall see it in the Photokina. And, Pentax may also discontinue the DA 16-45 very soon and replace it with the more expensive DA 17-70 (as the shops seem to try hard to get rid of the DA 16-45 stocks soonest, also).

( Original Post with all embedded URLs contained: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Photokina is Coming Close )
This is exactly the same what we saw before and after PMA: K10D's were hard to get and some big online retailers and shops were out of stock.

So yes, the K20D could be replaced soon. But two incidents do not make fact, let's see what happens after Photokina.
09-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #3

Yes, I noticed yesterday that K20D were going for £579 at srsmicrosystems.co.uk for the body and £678 for body and grip. Also at warehouseexpress.com both in UK.

Sadly the £100 cash back has expired though.
09-11-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200D will be made under name Samsung GX200 IMO
K2000D (?) will change K200D.

As for K20D super...I don't know. Maybe yes. Maybe no.
New AF, 1/8000 and 5 fps could be enough for most of us.
But...I'm not sure that it will be at Photokina. Maybe close to winter 2009.

09-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #5

Can I blame Pentax for selling me expensive k20d month and half ago and sudden introduction of k20d super or k30d ? This will really piss me of, such a short life cycle that I dont want to support Pentax anymore if this is true ...
09-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Can I blame Pentax for selling me expensive k20d month and half ago and sudden introduction of k20d super or k30d ? This will really piss me of, such a short life cycle that I dont want to support Pentax anymore if this is true ...
Well just as the other brands... look at Canon, Nikon et all...
And wait for the upgrade, maybe it is very insignificant...

Now somemight answer (no, I do not personnaly) that such fall of price should have rang a bell and that's all your fault (again, that's not my opinion but I expect some to think so...)
09-11-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

So, it would be better that Pentax will not replace the K20D at all? This way we can have the "latest" model forever
If the cameras are replaced too fast for you, just skip a generation. No need to blame Pentax for trying to be competitive, and go to another manufacturer who will replace it's products at least as often.
However, it's very possible that we won't see a K20D replacement at Photokina (or maybe we will?)

09-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
However, it's very possible that we won't see a K20D replacement at Photokina (or maybe we will?)
They have to if they want to steer clear of bankruptcy.
09-11-2008, 04:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Bankruptcy? The sky is falling, eh?
They should be able to survive even if the higher-end camera will be launched in 2009; probably many of us won't wait until then, while others will be happy buying new lenses. Yes, I'm sure Pentax will make just enough money from the DA* 60-250 to avoid bankruptcy
09-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Also £599.99 for K20D + 18-55 II in stock at Jacobsdigital: here
09-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
So, it would be better that Pentax will not replace the K20D at all? This way we can have the "latest" model forever
If the cameras are replaced too fast for you, just skip a generation. No need to blame Pentax for trying to be competitive, and go to another manufacturer who will replace it's products at least as often.
I would like them to focus on k2000d and k1d and not replace (we don't know this yet) k20d which has been around for less than year. it might be that k20d will have just better LCD and minor tweaks but if they call it k20d super and it will have better focusing or newer prime processor than I will cry (i wont, i will be pissed off).

We need lenses, I have been waiting for 60-250mm for a long long time now.
09-11-2008, 04:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
They have to if they want to steer clear of bankruptcy.
Unfortunately all the rumours, German advertising indicate that we're going to see one new camera from Pentax at Photokina: entry level camera.

IMHO Pentax now is in the situation in which they were in *ist times. They made an attempt to catch up with K100D, K10D. It was really sucsessful attempt. However it seems it took so much effort for them that they left breatheless slowed down while competition just cruised past them ( Canon 1000D/450D/50D, Nikon D90/D300, Sony a200/a300/a350/a700)...

Pentax lineup doesn't look competitive for me at all at the moment.

They now desperately need to bring out small, cheap real entry level camera (K200D - AA batteries + LiIon battery - weather sealing + LiveView + larger buffer). Also they really need SDM version of 18-55mm lens to bundle it with entry level camera. Then such camera will be competitive against 1000D, D60, a200.

Update K200D. - AA batteries + LiIon battery + much larger buffer + more dedicated buttons.

All K20D needs is new designed shutter and mirror box to allow faster continuous shooting. Also it desperately needs new AF system. While current focus would be OK for K200D and camera on the level below, K20D autofocus doesn't look good compared to it's competitors. Also metering must be improved. Replace RAW button with customisable button. IMHO no real redesign/new sensor needed for K20D image processing part.

Add magnesium body, direct buttons for drive mode, flash mode, WB, remove internal flash, add larger pentaprism with 100% coverage and you'll have camera which will compede with D300/a700.

Am I asking too much?
09-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Am I asking too much?
Not as long as you're willing to pay "too much" .

QuoteQuote:
If another model comes out it doesn't mean that your k20d became worse now.
09-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Err...which company do you think has a long lifecycle?
Cameras are mostly computers nowadays and have the same short lifecycle. Huge improvements every 1.5yrs. Models last as long. What do you have for a P&S cam? Bet it's no longer sold P&S cams seem to be replaced yearly by companies.

Last edited by kenyee; 09-11-2008 at 05:11 AM.
09-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Not as long as you're willing to pay "too much" .

If another model comes out it doesn't mean that your k20d became worse now.
It does not. But new might be rapid improvement as well.