Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 238 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #46

This looks like's going to be the best 50mm not named Carl Zeiss Otus out there, with fantastic autofocus to boot. The Tokina version should do well to put Pentax's optics back in other people's hands too.

Maybe there will be a metabones adapter that works wth KAF4 for Sony too (or maybe the EF mount of the Tokina will suffice, though I'd like to see Pentax's brand out there on other camera bodies)

06-07-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #47
mee
Veteran Member

Looks like it needs to be stopped down a little.. f/2.4 or so before it really picks up in sharpness. But still usable at f/1.4 I'd say. Get it to f/2.8 through around f/6.3 and, from the looks of those images, it is really really nice... at least in the sharpness department.

I was kind of hoping this one would be mind bendingly sharp out of the gate though.. esp for the size and (assumed) price this one will ask.

I want to see this one on a K-1 compared to the Tokina version on a D810! Side by Side same shots same settings.
06-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Looks like it needs to be stopped down a little.. f/2.4 or so before it really picks up in sharpness. But still usable at f/1.4 I'd say. Get it to f/2.8 through around f/6.3 and, from the looks of those images, it is really really nice... at least in the sharpness department.

I was kind of hoping this one would be mind bendingly sharp out of the gate though.. esp for the size and (assumed) price this one will ask.

I want to see this one on a K-1 compared to the Tokina version on a D810! Side by Side same shots same settings.
All you would see there is copy variation and differences in auto focus. Otherwise, optically they'll be the same.
06-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m still on the fence, but leaning more toward getting this.

06-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I saw the test image from *50/1.4 and wonder is there is anything the 55* cann't do?
I'm sure this new lens will beat the pants off the 55 in pretty much every department.

That's not to dismiss the 55. It's wonderful, I own it But it's weaknesses, if any, are AF and wide open optical performance.
06-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
The (old) Sigma 50 1.4 is 77mm. The Sigma ART is 77mm. Most of the 50 1.4s from Nikon and Canon are 55mm or larger. What's so comical? You can't fit the number of lenses or corrective elements or technology found in this new lens into a lens the size of the DA 50 1.8 or even the size of the FA. If you think you can, I'd encourage you to try it and bring it to market.
Nah, if you want to build one go for it. I just shoot the things. I find it comical because it looks like we're getting a Big lens to go on the FF and that dictated it's size.
Myself I have no interest in it. Too Big and probably Too Pricey.
06-07-2018, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Same here.

I saw the test image from *50/1.4 and wonder is there is anything the 55* cann't do?
Look, I have the DA*55 and it's gone from being a marvelous portrait lens on APS-C to a wonderful all-round lens on my K-1, but this new lens will be bigger, heavier, more expensive, and better optically.

That's the approach of the camera industry, all brands, right there - premium product.

06-07-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

Speaking of copy variations, i wonder if this will be much of a thing. I think the tolerances will be quite tight.
06-07-2018, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Look, I have the DA*55 and it's gone from being a marvelous portrait lens on APS-C to a wonderful all-round lens on my K-1, but this new lens will be bigger, heavier, more expensive, and better optically.

That's the approach of the camera industry, all brands, right there - premium product.
This is very true. Just look at what has happened to the mirrorless industry, all that size savings gone when you put a high quality lens on it.

I’ll likely get a copy of this, and hope for more FA limiteds...
06-07-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a much needed lens in the current Pentax line up. The F and FA versions are great but they can not compete with other modern lenses. Fast, accurate, silent autofocus, and weather sealing, this is what many people want. Sharp wide open, no aberrations, no fringing, and sharp clean borders. Rounded apeture blades for more pleasant bokeh. I have the DA*55 which I do like, but the autofocus is an exercise in frustration. I have missed shots waiting for it to focus. It really is not sharp until around f2-f2.2. Lastly even though I use it on my K-1 it is not truly full frame. You will definitely see this when you shoot it wide open. Also you can not use the in camera profile corrections with it. I never use them but for others that may be a big deal. I have my FA 50 macro, which is one the sharpest lenses I own, but that lens also is slow to lock focus. I doubt that I will buy this lens. Not because I do not want it but because I simply can not afford it.

The days of the classic compact Pentax primes are gone. Sharpness obsession has killed them. This is the way lenses are being made In the digital age, where people are viewing their photos with an electron microscope. It is what consumers what and it takes a lot glass to correct all those issues.
06-07-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same here.

Wide open the DA*55 falls off at the corners. You can definitely see it. I created a preset in Lightroom to handle it. Sometimes it is extremely noticeable especially when the edges are filled with sky. For portraits this typically not as much of an issue where the borders are not important. This new lens will definitely focus faster, lock focus better, and be able to fully utilize all the capabilities of the K-1. The in camera profile corrections will only work on the K-1 with the DA*55 in crop mode. If the new DFA 50 is sharp wide open then it will also beat the DA*55 there as well. I do love my DA*55 on the K-1 but it does have its limitations.
06-07-2018, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Lastly even though I use it on my K-1 it is not truly full frame. You will definitely see this when you shoot it wide open.
I think we need to put this vignetting thing to rest, Scorpio. Photozone's historical tests of the DA*55 (which is a Jun Hirakawa design) have it vignetting less than the FA50 and the FA31.

As far as sharpness goes, one of forum member has already shot in the wild with Kerrick James' copy of the new DFA. He loved it, but said you'd have to zoom into see the differences from the *55.

When has this not been true of say, the Canon 85mm f1.8 vs f1.4 vs f1.2?

People choose to pay more to get incremental increases in performance, that's what premium's about in consumer electronics or wines or cars or whatever.
06-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
All you would see there is copy variation and differences in auto focus. Otherwise, optically they'll be the same.
You can confirm first hand that they use the same coatings and these cameras output the same IQ?

And, yes, differences in focusing could also be an issue... especially at such a large aperture.

So, all around, I'd like to see the comparison still.
06-07-2018, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think we need to put this vignetting thing to rest, Scorpio. Photozone's historical tests of the DA*55 (which is a Jun Hirakawa design) have it vignetting less than the FA50 and the FA31.

As far as sharpness goes, one of forum member has already shot in the wild with Kerrick James' copy of the new DFA. He loved it, but said you'd have to zoom into see the differences from the *55.

When has this not been true of say, the Canon 85mm f1.8 vs f1.4 vs f1.2?

People choose to pay more to get incremental increases in performance, that's what premium's about in consumer electronics or wines or cars or whatever.
I am sorry I did not mean vignetting. However I can actually see the image circle at times when shooting under f2. . I do not use the hood for the DA*55 when I have it on the K-1. If I do then I will get vignetting. I bought a universal petal good that works extremely well. I can try and post of photo of what I mean but this probably not the right place for it. For the record I started using my DA*55 more after I got the K-1. I rarely use it on my K3 anymore.
06-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I am sorry I did not mean vignetting. However I can actually see the image circle at times when shooting under f2. . I do not use the hood for the DA*55 when I have it on the K-1. If I do then I will get vignetting. I bought a universal petal good that works extremely well. I can try and post of photo of what I mean but this probably not the right place for it. For the record I started using my DA*55 more after I got the K-1. I rarely use it on my K3 anymore.
Yes, I read in the other thread about your breathing stuff, there could still be a place in the bag at times for the 55 with its 67mm filter thread, the new DFA is gunna be big.

You're such a good photographer, I look forward to seeing your pics whatever you use.