Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 85 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2018, 05:33 PM - 4 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Concerning coatings, Tokina wrote the following on their Japanese website (Google-translation a bit enhanced by yours truly):
QuoteOriginally posted by Tokina:
Two different coatings are used together to achieve excellent low reflection characteristics.

With the newly developed ELR coating (Extremely Low Reflection), the nanosized porous body forms an ultra-low refractive index film by the ultra-low refractive index film formation process, realizing a low reflection ratio far beyond conventional coatings. In addition, the new multilayer coating with further reduced reflection optimizes the film design and deposition conditions, realizing low reflection characteristics beyond conventional coatings.

Tokiner adopts a new coating that matches the focal length and characteristics of the lens in the opera series. By applying an ideal coating for each element, we will further enhance the rendering power of the lens.
This looks suspiciously similar to the combination of Aero Bright Coating II and HD coating of the Pentax version.

09-21-2018, 05:45 PM - 2 Likes   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Concerning coatings, Tokina wrote the following on their Japanese website (Google-translation a bit enhanced by yours truly):

This looks suspiciously similar to the combination of Aero Bright Coating II and HD coating of the Pentax version.
IIRC Asahi Optical Corp realized significant cash flow by licensing all or part of the patented SMC coating process. An article at AOHC suggests for a time virtually every lens maker save Leica paid AOCo royalties.

Is Ricoh stealing a march on history with their new HD and AeroBright ll process patents? Inquiring minds want to know.

.:
09-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Optical formula... coatings, or just the picture of the lens elements?

Ps: I'm sure they're both nice, but if I was buying new, I'd buy the pentax, thanks!
It will never be offered in K-mount. You won't have a choice.
09-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #109
Pentaxian

The Tokina has a dull look.
Will be praised by DPR.
In two words : won't sell.

09-22-2018, 12:31 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Tokina has made some very large improvements over their earlier coatings, taking a look at their Firin 20mm

Looking at several users work done with newer tokina lenses they don't exhibit many of the problems that I was accustom to on several of their lenses
09-22-2018, 12:38 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see that it could be in Ricoh's interests to have this lens optically as good as possible in the Tokina version, given that it's an open secret that it's Pentax designed.
09-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #112
Banned

They maybe just get the same lens parts as Pentax, or from Pentax.

---------- Post added 22-09-18 at 09:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I can see that it could be in Ricoh's interests to have this lens optically as good as possible in the Tokina version, given that it's an open secret that it's Pentax designed.
Ricoh can also make money on it. They buy blanks lenses. They go true their own coating fabric and sell them to Tokina.

09-22-2018, 03:25 AM - 2 Likes   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
except for the Pentaxians using k-mount not having this cheaper option.
I'm not sure, Ron, why you are so negative on all these things. Third party lenses are always cheaper than lenses from the brand name. It isn't necessarily that they are worse optically. Often they are as good or better. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all have some gems in their line up. But, there are often flaws in the implementation of auto focus with these lenses that aren't present with a manufacturer's own lenses. While these are sometimes fixable, they aren't always.

This was the biggest strike against the Sigma 35 and also the 18-35 f1.8. Both are excellent lenses, but at least some copies had struggles with auto focus, probably due to Sigma's backward engineering of other brands protocols.

So, yes, if I have two lenses that are optically identical. One made by Pentax that I know will perform perfectly on my K-1 that costs 150 dollars more and one made by Tokina that might have some issues, I will choose the more expensive one. There is a reason why Tokina isn't a high volume seller and it isn't a lack of optical quality or too high pricing.
09-22-2018, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

Most of Tokina negative talk is due the inferior coatings and internal reflections, even my Jupiter and Helios lenses dating back to 70's behave better than some of not so old Tokina products. Tokina even got RMC nickname(rainbow multi coated). BUT Tokina lenses, especialy recent zooms are incredibly sharp and consistent in autofocus, their 70-200/4 is way sharper than first generation of Canon counterpart, or both of older Sigma's and Tamron's 70-200/2.8 stepped down to f4. Still the coatings are total fail.
09-22-2018, 05:01 AM   #115
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not sure, Ron, why you are so negative on all these things.
So what is the negative in a sentence that brings a simple reality?
09-22-2018, 05:11 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
, their 70-200/4 is way sharper than first generation of Canon counterpart, or both of older Sigma's and Tamron's 70-200/2.8 stepped down to f4. Still the coatings are total fail.
I'm not convinced the forthcoming Pentax 70-200/4 isn't based on this - if that's true, and all it needs are Pentax coatings, could be pretty nice
09-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm not convinced the forthcoming Pentax 70-200/4 isn't based on this - if that's true, and all it needs are Pentax coatings, could be pretty nice
Newer tech for focusing motor would be nice too, genuine Tokina one, is well not really fast, but very accurate.
09-22-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The Tokina has a dull look.
Will be praised by DPR.
In two words : won't sell.
I bet DPR will give it a better review than the Pentax got. 😒
09-22-2018, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I bet DPR will give it a better review than the Pentax got. 😒
Which will be hilarious since, as has been noted, the coatings sound suspiciously similar to the Pentax.
09-22-2018, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So what is the negative in a sentence that brings a simple reality?
Your reality based comments are always negative. You used to enjoy Pentax related gear, but I never saw you post anything about how great the K-1 or the DFA 50, or DFA *70-200 products are. Only about how you expect them to be delivered late and not perform well. The fact that Pentax is getting paid for every Tokina lens produced is not mentioned by you (which should add some revenue to Pentax's coffers), only the fact that Tokina, as a third party is priced a little cheaper.

Your dose of reality requires an antidepressant to accompany it.
Closed Thread