Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 01:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 216
Pentax D FA* 50mm f1.4 and Tokina Opera 50mm f1.4

I am having some trouble understanding the strategy in place with Ricoh developing a new high grade D FA* 50 mm lens and then allowing Tokina to release a Canon and Nikon equivalent in their new Opera line.

Initially, I thought Pentax were trying to tempt Canon and Nikon users to the Pentax brand by developing a new range of high class glass that is as good or better than the Sigma Art series. With the Tokina Opera announcement, it would appear as though Pentax are only trying to satisfy the K-1 users, with the costs being ameliorated by on selling the design to Tokina?

Is it possible that Ricoh are targeting a larger slice of the international DSLR lens (Sigma Art Series)market by having some kind of joint venture with Tokina in both the development and manufacture of this line of lenses?

I would be interested in any positive input from members in discussing this and hopefully enlightening me on the strategies involved.


Last edited by BROO; 06-17-2018 at 02:17 AM.
06-17-2018, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,231
If they can sell the design to others and make more money, that would probably be a sound businesses strategy. A super sharp 50 1.4 is already available in all other major mounts, so it's not like doing so would cost them their own customers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-17-2018, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,831
Sigma? Nah, wouldn't touch 'em with a forty foot barge pole. Pentax lenses all they way.
06-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,030
With only the 1 prime at the moment i doubt anyone would change brands just to use a better 50mm. Yet if other brands can use it and canikon people feel its great they are going to take notice as more lenses come out. That could certainly be a benefit. I mean we know what the tamron rebranded pentax lenses are. They will know its a pentax lens and see pentax quality optics.

06-17-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,491
Canon and Nikon owners will effectively be subsidizing the development of this lens for us Pentaxians.

Tokina have a well-established zoom lineup, they can do with help in their primes.

06-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,605
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Sigma? Nah, wouldn't touch 'em with a forty foot barge pole. Pentax lenses all they way.
I agree. I've had a few Sigmas over the years, but the only one which remains in my bag is the 35 Art....

....until Pentax releases something better

The same applies to my Samyang 12mm fisheye.

I can't image Pentax ever releasing a rival to my Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64/2.9, so I imagine that will eventually be my only non-Pentax K-mount lens.
06-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,831
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
....until Pentax releases something better
Absolutely. I have favourites that are not Pentax (many fantastic lenses out there), but I do like the quality of Pentax lenses in general.
06-17-2018, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,463
How is this news or a rumor?

06-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #9
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,506
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If they can sell the design to others and make more money, that would probably be a sound businesses strategy. A super sharp 50 1.4 is already available in all other major mounts, so it's not like doing so would cost them their own customers.
This.
They need money and licensing is just another way. Pentax system loses a little exclusivity but, as Adam said, nothing major.

@beachgardener
Modern-day Sigma is not old-days S(t)igma.
06-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,831
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Modern-day Sigma is not old-days S(t)igma.
yes, I may be influenced by rubbish Sigma lenses from old days, but, from what I have read reliability and quality control of the modern lenses leave a lot to be desired, some images posted here with modern Sigma I'm not liking how they render in general. don't like the look of them, so nah no sigma for me, wouldn't touch them.
06-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,288
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I am having some trouble understanding the strategy in place with Ricoh developing a new high grade D FA* 50 mm lens and then allowing Tokina to release a Canon and Nikon equivalent in their new Opera line.

Initially, I thought Pentax were trying to tempt Canon and Nikon users to the Pentax brand by developing a new range of high class glass that is as good or better than the Sigma Art series. With the Tokina Opera announcement, it would appear as though Pentax are only trying to satisfy the K-1 users, with the costs being ameliorated by on selling the design to Tokina?

Is it possible that Ricoh are targeting a larger slice of the international DSLR lens (Sigma Art Series)market by having some kind of joint venture with Tokina in both the development and manufacture of this line of lenses?

I would be interested in any positive input from members in discussing this and hopefully enlightening me on the strategies involved.
Looking at the new Tokina FiRIN 20mm, it doesn't look like Tokina has improved the build quality of their lenses any. I wouldn't expect the Tokina version of the lens to be comparable to the Pentax D-FA*. Samyang is currently building higher quality glass than Tokina.
06-17-2018, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,506
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
yes, I may be influenced by rubbish Sigma lenses from old days, but, from what I have read reliability and quality control of the modern lenses leave a lot to be desired, some images posted here with modern Sigma I'm not liking how they render in general. don't like the look of them, so nah no sigma for me, wouldn't touch them.
I like my 10-20mm, even though I agree on color rendition: I have to fiddle a little bit in the HSL panel to get the color(s) I want.
06-17-2018, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Medellín
Posts: 641
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I like my 10-20mm, even though I agree on color rendition: I have to fiddle a little bit in the HSL panel to get the color(s) I want.
I like my 70-300mm APO, too. It's plastic rubbish, but great glass. Lightweight anyway, and I can use it with my MZ-S. I wish there was a FF digital back for that camera, or the (FF) MZ-D would exist.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-17-2018, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,912
When your market share is 2% it's unlikely anything you do to spread your development costs is going to help you. After all do you want to sell to the whole camera market or 2% of the market?

Last edited by normhead; 06-17-2018 at 06:18 AM.
06-17-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,584
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samyang is currently building higher quality glass than Tokina.
Ouch! So mean to Tokina.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, aps-c, art, collaboration, design, f1.4 and tokina, fa* 50mm f1.4, ff, lens, lenses, opera, patent, pentax, pentax d fa*, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, pm, post, primes, quality, sigma, time, tokina, tokina opera 50mm, true, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: (all sold ) FA 31mm f1.8, FA 77mm f1.8, FA 20mm f2.8, FA 100mm f2.8macro, F50mm f1,7 redpigeons Sold Items 8 01-12-2016 08:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax Binoculars: 8x42 SP, 10x42 WP, FB-8 Opera Glasses UncleVanya Sold Items 2 09-03-2015 02:44 AM
For Sale - Sold: Tokina 20-35mm f2.8 AT-X Pro, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8 AT-X Pro, Tokina 100-300mm f photobizzz Sold Items 7 01-30-2009 06:04 PM
phantom in the opera - a walkaround behind the scenes of a theatre lukastrika Post Your Photos! 2 02-26-2007 11:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top