Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K1 Mk2 vs everyone, come in 6th!

Hey All:

This from PDN, a review of the cameras that gave the best color reproductions, Pentax K1- Mk2 was #6 overall, and of the FF camera, about 4th! Winners were Sony (3 top awards) Fuji (ever see one in the wild?) Leica P&S and one Panasonic (another rare sighting in the wild), one Nikon and one Canon!

Here is the link!
The Best Cameras for Color Reproduction, Ranked

PS- To do a side-by-side comparison, I copied each gamut image and pasted it next to the K1 gamut image, so I had a quick reference.

Regards,

06-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

Interesting. I'd like to see the K-1 Mk II vs the Mk I. Ricoh is saying they are able to get better blues out of the Mk II because of the accelerator unit.
06-25-2018, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how the results would have come out if they based the comparison on a color space other than sRGB.
06-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I wonder how the results would have come out if they based the comparison on a color space other than sRGB.
Also they are using SOOC Jpeg. K-1 MkII needs tweaks for straight out of camera based on folks here using one.

06-25-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Also they are using SOOC Jpeg. K-1 MkII needs tweaks for straight out of camera based on folks here using one.
Not all cameras encode raw or jpeg the same way either. Same goes for the editing software that is loading them.

I wish manufacturers would listen and offer "PNG" format. (It's not a typo).
06-25-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
I wish manufacturers would listen and offer "PNG" format.
Why PNG and not TIFF?
06-25-2018, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't follow what they are testing?
They set the camera's to sRGB, take a photo of a colorchecker sg target and then compare it to that of what a calibrated spectrophotometer measured and use software to derive a variance ?
One should know that at least 10 of the colorchecker sg patches fall outside of the sRGB color space. so what are they testing ? how much each samples falls out side of their working color space?

06-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Why PNG and not TIFF?
Compression ? Size ?
Didn't istD allow for TIFF format? Somehow I think it did...
06-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Didn't istD allow for TIFF format?
K-3, K-1 etc still let you save to TIFF, but not directly. TIFF format is an output option when you develop your shots in-camera.
06-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-3, K-1 etc still let you save to TIFF, but not directly. TIFF format is an output option when you develop your shots in-camera.
Right, it's better that way IMO.
Otherwise you get a very nice detailed file with e.g. wrong WB but it still took ages to write the thing to the card.
06-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Hey All:

This from PDN, a review of the cameras that gave the best color reproductions, Pentax K1- Mk2 was #6 overall, and of the FF camera, about 4th! Winners were Sony (3 top awards) Fuji (ever see one in the wild?) Leica P&S and one Panasonic (another rare sighting in the wild), one Nikon and one Canon!

Here is the link!

PS- To do a side-by-side comparison, I copied each gamut image and pasted it next to the K1 gamut image, so I had a quick reference.

Regards,
That’s cool. I know a few modern Leica shooters, and a few more Fuji mirrorless owners. But mostly canon and Nikon people. Though recently I was in LA for a weekend and went to an open market for lunch where I must have seen 8-10 Sony A7 models around people’s necks. Quite a surprise to see so many in one place. And for Pentax, well I know all of YOU have them. :-)
06-26-2018, 12:19 AM   #12

First of all, as already mentioned, I have no idea what they are measuring if by method they are sure to fail in some way, when you have colors outside sRGB.

2nd, i don't know who taught them math, but it looks like 9 cameras are better, than K1, so K1 is 6th?

And most important of all - protography is about how it looks, not how it calculates. For me, many colors on sample images looks much more different, than numbers shows, and sometimes i barely see any difference when number show its big. So i don't think that's important at all.
06-26-2018, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Hey All:

Here is the link!

Regards,
Just a quick perusal of the cover page and going no deeper you can easily see where their opinions come from........advertisers!! They are going to be biased toward their paid advertisers.

Larry
06-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just a quick perusal of the cover page and going no deeper you can easily see where their opinions come from........advertisers!! They are going to be biased toward their paid advertisers.

Larry
It’s possible...but they give you the data and describe their methodology. All of the cameras there are their top performers for this test, so they’re all good, and the differences are really minor. If the question is, “which camera will reproduce colors as accurately as possible?” Then any of these top performers would get you there.

---------- Post added 06-26-2018 at 06:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MatKus Quote
First of all, as already mentioned, I have no idea what they are measuring if by method they are sure to fail in some way, when you have colors outside sRGB.

2nd, i don't know who taught them math, but it looks like 9 cameras are better, than K1, so K1 is 6th?

And most important of all - protography is about how it looks, not how it calculates. For me, many colors on sample images looks much more different, than numbers shows, and sometimes i barely see any difference when number show its big. So i don't think that's important at all.
Agreed. I’m not sure how they’re calculating difference. What’s funny is that this is akin to high end audio, where accurate reproduction is the objective. But the truth is that everyone manipulates the result in Lightroom, so it’s like having the most accurate reproduction, and then tossing a bunch of filters on top and messing with the EQ. :-)
06-26-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

What difference does this comparison translate to if shooting raw in the first place ? I don't really get it ?