Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #136
Pentaxian

I'd love one but I'll be sticking with my smc-a 50mm 1.4 for the foreseeable future.

06-30-2018, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Is this not conceivable?
Possible. But not certain or even likely. You would need to know the relative power use specifications for both motors. Just because it has more torque does NOT mean it uses more electrical power. The motor could be more efficient or the gearing could be different or the ring motor design itself produces more torque by design.

Even if it does use more electrical energy it would not (IMHO) have any significant impact on battery life except in the use case where AFC is being used constantly for very long periods of time. For any normal use case I suspect the difference would be insignificant. And that only if the new motor does use more power, which is unknown.
06-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #138
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Even if it does use more electrical energy it would not (IMHO) have any significant impact on battery life except in the use case where AFC is being used constantly for very long periods of time. For any normal use case I suspect the difference would be insignificant. And that only if the new motor does use more power, which is unknown.
Of course, I was referring to the possibility, because the battery of the MarkII that is identical to the previous one has already been negatively penalized, so I'm worried in a way,

until you can try on the field the new D FA 50mm F1.4 SDM and check the real impact on electricity consumption.

This is because it preludes to the next 85mm and so on, which will certainly have the same peculiarities.
06-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And a revision of the rest of the *'s

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
And I'm also thinking a motor of this power sets the stage to roll into other upcoming lenses, like the DFA* 85. Hopefully, the development of this motor has been a big part of the length of time bringing to market, whereby I really mean other lenses will now come faster if this can be leveraged across other designs.
I hope they re-release some of the other DA* lenses with this motor and some of the other improvements. Particularly the DA*300, so long as it does not make the lens any heavier.

06-30-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
I hope they re-release some of the other DA* lenses with this motor and some of the other improvements. Particularly the DA*300, so long as it does not make the lens any heavier.
I believe there has been discussion about reworking the entire line of DA* lenses both mechanically and optically. What I can't recall is the basis for the chatter, e.g. something in the rumor mill or an actual comment from a Ricoh representative.

I've got to think the new DA* 11-18 is using the same motor technology as the DFA* 50. It certainly isn't using the old SDM motors of days passed like what's in the DA* 16-50. That is a certainty.

As pointed out to me later in this thread, it's in the name - DC motor - it's a DA★11-18mm F2.8ED DC AW

Last edited by clickclick; 07-01-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: correction of motor type
06-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #141

There s any review of this lens which I can see sample pictures,and other opinions about this lens?
06-30-2018, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #142
maw
Pentaxian

I believe there has been discussion about reworking the entire line of DA* lenses both mechanically and optically. What I can't recall is the basis for the chatter, e.g. something in the rumor mill or an actual comment from a Ricoh representative.

I've got to think the new DA* 11-18 is using the same motor technology as the DFA* 50. It certainly isn't using the old SDM motors of days passed like what's in the DA* 16-50. That is a certainty.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaisas Quote
There s any review of this lens which I can see sample pictures,and other opinions about this lens?

Official reviews still nothing, I've already written that the presentation has been postponed to 2019, you will have to wait a little longer,

but I think it will stellar like all the new Pentax lenses. I can put the link to the technical features of both 50mm and 11-18mm

Link 1

Link 2

06-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC asahi man posted the DA* lenses will be reworked beginning with the 16~50 and 50~135. Supposedly this is a current project and there should be some news by late summer. Ricoh said there will be more Limited lenses as well. Whether that means DA Limited or FA Limited or (reworked) D FA Limited is not clear.
06-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh my! More 50s yeah!
06-30-2018, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #145

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
still cheaper than in the UK on current exchange rates (GBP1,200 inc VAT)
1199 EUR, inc VAT (and a protection filter as a gift!), in Spain

https://www.tiendapentaxeros.com/pentax-50mm-f14-fa-sdm-aw.html
07-01-2018, 01:43 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC asahi man posted the DA* lenses will be reworked beginning with the 16~50 and 50~135. Supposedly this is a current project and there should be some news by late summer. Ricoh said there will be more Limited lenses as well. Whether that means DA Limited or FA Limited or (reworked) D FA Limited is not clear.
From the typical size of the motors, I guess replacing the micro SDMs in those lenses with DCs without major need to rework the shell around it seems doable. Then add HD coating and you are set, similar small update as the DA Limited switch to HD and curved aperture blades.
If they can do something about the 16mm @ F2.8 edge sharpness on the 16-50 that would be an added bonus, but I wouldnt bet on it as this might need major lens rework.
07-01-2018, 01:51 AM - 2 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

I(.. )

As indicated by its name the HD Pentax-DA★ 11-18mm f/2.8 ED DC AW will be using a DC motor, not a ring ultrasonic motor like the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW.
07-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
As indicated by its name the HD Pentax-DA★ 11-18mm f/2.8 ED DC AW will be using a DC motor, not a ring ultrasonic motor like the HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW.
Yes, of course - right in front of my nose. Thanks!
07-01-2018, 08:50 PM   #149
ogl
Banned

This lens is only one lens announced this year?
07-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #150
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
HD Pentax-D FA★ 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW.
Is this first Pentax lens with real ring type motor?