Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #226
Pentaxian

My assumption is that Ricoh acts similarly to Nikon in that they only greenlight select few projects and expect them to be profitable quickly. So success and failure of a lens/camera is judged quickly and any longer sales success is just an added bonus.

Probably they have optimized their fixed costs and other manufacturing and inventory costs, so they can live off small volumes.

If the DFA* 50 preorders have sold out I expect it to be considered a commercial success either already or very soon.

That is a good ingredient for them to move on with the next lenses. The 7.5 kg 85mm F1.4 lens.

While this approach is slow, it ensures sustainability even through longer drought periods.

Obviously this is not an option you could choose if you depend on huge marketing budgets and super quick release cycles (Sony, Nikon, Canon).

Sometimes smaller is better.

07-07-2018, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
My assumption is that Ricoh acts similarly to Nikon in that they only greenlight select few projects and expect them to be profitable quickly.
Yet the D FA* lenses show some sort of long time thinking
07-07-2018, 02:59 AM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yet the D FA* lenses show some sort of long time thinking
There is no automatic contradiction between both objectives. It all depends on the individual products selected and quality/cost/price levels.
07-07-2018, 03:57 AM   #229
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is no automatic contradiction between both objectives. It all depends on the individual products selected and quality/cost/price levels.
Yes, we know the K-1 was worked on for some time before the suits decided to go ahead with it.

07-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Absolutely true. Heck I am like looking forward to it on crop!
Speaking of crop, at some point, here, I'm looking forward to the announcement of a new APS-C flagship. I guess I have a bad case of GAS. I love full frame, but I still really like my K3II and crop too. But that's OK. The DA* 11-18 will fit in the bag nicely too!
07-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I now regret waiting to buy one. Should have just whipped out the credit card.
It was really hard not to click on the pre-order button at B&H (clicked on the notify instead). This lens will be added to the kit. Thinking I might have to wait until Thanksgiving. Yes, hoping for a cyber/black Friday deal. The challenge will be waiting. This is going to be hard!
07-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What many of us seem to want is a super K-3ii little brother for the K-1ii.

07-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #233
Pentaxian

Except maybe for the quick profit.
07-08-2018, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

Original Poster

https://tuchong.com/3097518/19859959/?user_id=296538_share&ut...appinstalled=0

Last edited by OoKU; 07-08-2018 at 11:27 PM.
07-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It was really hard not to click on the pre-order button at B&H (clicked on the notify instead). This lens will be added to the kit. Thinking I might have to wait until Thanksgiving. Yes, hoping for a cyber/black Friday deal. The challenge will be waiting. This is going to be hard!
Does Pentax play the Black Friday game? I know they don't for camera bodies, not sure about lenses.
07-08-2018, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #236
Veteran Member

If it is what it appears, that they have already sold out all preorders, I'd say more great news. More demand for the K-1 upgrade than projected and more demand for this lens than anticipated bodes well for the niche Pentax continues to carve out.
I think it's more down to over-conservative bean-counters at Pentax. They refused to authorize a realistic amount of up-front build without demonstrated demand.

On the other hand it's probably a positive signal for green-lighting similar projects at headquarters.
07-09-2018, 04:26 AM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Does Pentax play the Black Friday game? I know they don't for camera bodies, not sure about lenses.
I've seen some good discounts on Pentax equipment at B&H photo, so perhaps not directly, but through some of their distribution channels.
07-09-2018, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I think it's more down to over-conservative bean-counters at Pentax. They refused to authorize a realistic amount of up-front build without demonstrated demand.

On the other hand it's probably a positive signal for green-lighting similar projects at headquarters.
Was thinking something similar, but figured if the bean counters green lighted what they did produce up front, that was probably tied to a break even/risk point they could all agree on. So hopeful that it encourages more development.
07-09-2018, 05:44 AM   #239
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Was thinking something similar, but figured if the bean counters green lighted what they did produce up front, that was probably tied to a break even/risk point they could all agree on. So hopeful that it encourages more development.
I agree. If enough people don't buy this lens, it would jeopardize future releases like the DFA*85 and DFA*35 or whatever it will be. Remember, the failure of the K-01 (for various reasons) killed mirrorless development at Pentax.

Their market research would have said the Fifty would be a good barometer for the need of a big premium prime line.
07-09-2018, 07:01 AM   #240
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great samples from the web site in the link. The full reviews should be very interesting.