Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I just saw that on the other site. I agree that their article is misleading in its title, but I’m just wondering where you got September from.

The item on the Ricoh website gives no date, and the the item on social media said 8月以降, which would mean any time from the beginning of August onwards.

In Japan, they have basically committed to a date of July 20 for availability, so they have to explain and apologise if they aren’t going to meet it, even by ten days or so.
The initial announcement said orders not placed before July 6th would ship “after August”.

We interpret that to mean the pre-order stock has been sold, plus all the planned production through August has also been sold (pre-ordered); therefore new orders cannot be filled untill September.

07-13-2018, 07:57 AM - 3 Likes   #302
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The initial announcement said orders not placed before July 6th would ship “after August”.

We interpret that to mean the pre-order stock has been sold, plus all the planned production through August has also been sold (pre-ordered); therefore new orders cannot be filled untill September.
It's the "after August" part I'm taking issue with. I think it was a wrong translation of 8月以降 (hachi gatsu ikou) from the start, probably through Google. Since my Japanese comprehension is far from infallible, I checked with my wife, who confirmed that's what it said.

Having said that, "after the beginning of August" could still end up being September for some people.
07-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's the "after August" part I'm taking issue with. I think it was a wrong translation of 8月以降 (hachi gatsu ikou) from the start, probably through Google. Since my Japanese comprehension is far from infallible, I checked with my wife, who confirmed that's what it said.

Having said that, "after the beginning of August" could still end up being September for some people.
I’m fairly certain everyone who did not order early would accept a couple weeks waiting to actually get their hands on a lens after the actual release. I think it is encouraging that we bought* all the lenses that were planned as initial dealer counter stock

* My Personal pre-orders:
  • K-01. There was no problem.
  • K-1. I was Backordered about 60 days. Canceled and bought out of local dealer stock day after release.
  • DFA*50/1.4. I’m supposedly in line for July 20th shipment.

.:
07-13-2018, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #304
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listen to Monochrome. Popular items often sell out when first introduced. It is a good sign not a bad one.

07-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #305
Pentaxian

Apparently International orders are not exceeding anticipated demand (or retailers are just taking pre-orders irrespective of the number of lenses they actually can get, or the news has yet to trickle down to them. Ricoh Japan is a bit more in touch with it's local clientele than it's international branches are). Pentaxrumors meanwhile refuses to admit he is wrong, playing stupid.
07-13-2018, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Apparently International orders are not exceeding anticipated demand (or retailers are just taking pre-orders irrespective of the number of lenses they actually can get, or the news has yet to trickle down to them. Ricoh Japan is a bit more in touch with it's local clientele than it's international branches are). Pentaxrumors meanwhile refuses to admit he is wrong, playing stupid.
B&H - for orders placed today - lists expected availability July 24th.

They were six weeks oversubscribed for the K-1 and didn’t (or couldn’t) tell anyone until a day or two before release. I had an extended conversation with one of their managers about how they had simply warehoused K-1 pre-orders (which he vigorously denied, blaming Pentax), but I canceled my order anyway. Half an hour later I had a K-1 in my hands with the partially charged battery installed. The buyer for my local dealer explained that RIAC had completely botched* the K-1 rollout but that their rep went around Denver and made sure they got their pre-orders +6 Cameras (1 per store). I got one of those 6 K-1’s.

I would not be surprised to learn this time B&H knows real-time how many lenses are in the pipe, how many are sold and when each one ordered matches up with delivery dates. AFA Peter goes, his lack of cultural sensitivity is appalling.

* Interestingly, Jim Malcolm was no longer employed the next day

Last edited by monochrome; 07-13-2018 at 01:29 PM.
07-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #307

I remember the announcement back in April talking about the initial delay in shipments because they needed to get enough inventory through the QC process. Does that mean we'll be waiting until Late September/October to see the next shipment after this?

Last edited by nzondlo; 07-13-2018 at 12:43 PM.
07-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I remember the announcement back in April talking about the initial delay in shipments because they needed to get enough inventory through the QC process. Doss that mean we'll be waiting until Late September/October to see the next shipment after this?
In the US probably not. Maybe a week ATM.
07-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #309
Banned

On 21th we will know who is waiting.
07-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
On 21th we will know who is waiting.
Hopefully.
07-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #311
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My birthday is July 17th
Mine is the 22nd, but I'd be surprised if C.R.Kennedy has stock in time.
Here's hoping.
07-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Mine is the 22nd, but I'd be surprised if C.R.Kennedy has stock in time.
Here's hoping.
Fingers crossed. I have a Colorado trip in early August. I was planning to take the KP and pancakes before they are sold - but now I’m not so sure I want to leave the K-1 at home.
07-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
What a hard-headed jerk.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-13-2018 at 03:35 PM.
07-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #314
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Listen to Monochrome. Popular items often sell out when first introduced. It is a good sign not a bad one.
And it fits well to what Pentaxians seem to want: Primes. Excellent optics. No wonder pre-orders sold out.
07-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #315
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What a hard-headed jerk.
Not the first time, won't be the last.