Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #781
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
, you can build profiles for any lens you own using Hugin's Calibrate Lens tool...
Are there repositories where you can find profiles that folks contribute to the community?

08-02-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #782
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Are there repositories where you can find profiles that folks contribute to the community?
I do not think so. If I remember correctly many people think that the profile is best when it is a combination of camera and lens. There are inexpensive profiles you can buy such as from Huelight.
08-03-2018, 11:14 AM - 5 Likes   #783
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Met a really good model today
Full size, no sharpening, F 1.4, Lightroom export, Adobe RGB
Enjoy

08-03-2018, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #784
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and no. The lens distortion module uses another product called "Lensfun". It's supplied with a reasonable (and growing) range of lens profiles, but support for Pentax lenses is limited currently, so you really need to consider creating your own (and contributing them to the Lensfun project when you're done )...

08-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #785
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Met a really good model today
Full size, no sharpening, F 1.4, Lightroom export, Adobe RGB
Enjoy

DOF is mighty thin at that range - the eye is in focus but the cheek isn't? I'm really liking everything I see from this lens so far though.
08-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #786
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and no. The lens distortion module uses another product called "Lensfun". It's supplied with a reasonable (and growing) range of lens profiles, but support for Pentax lenses is limited currently, so you really need to consider creating your own (and contributing them to the Lensfun project when you're done )...
Well, I'm going to have to dig into this stuff. I've pretty much made up my mind to upgrade my K-1, and at that point, my LR 6 is going to be a PITA with a kludged workflow either through ACR or exif editing to import my files. I'm not ready to stick the Adobe needle in my arm without digging deeper into these alternatives. I might have to hit you up on some pointers on the tweaks you were showing with I think (memory check here) chroma noise reduction and Raw Therapee and the dead rabbit thread
08-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #787
Pentaxian

There is an Adobe lens correction profile for the DFA*50 and it works in all version of LR (I use it in LR 5.7.1). The exact same profile can be used in RawTherapee as well. Only darktable relies on lensfun.

I have created many Pentax profiles for Adobe and Lensfun myself and can say it is really easy to do. My pain with lensfun is that it takes a long time until they actually get published and if you just want to provide images and somebody else does the profiling you have to upload tons of megabytes.

08-03-2018, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #788
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I'm going to have to dig into this stuff...
I might have to hit you up on some pointers on the tweaks you were showing with I think (memory check here) chroma noise reduction and Raw Therapee and the dead rabbit thread
Of course. PM me or start a thread when you're ready, and I'll help however I can

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I have created many Pentax profiles for Adobe and Lensfun myself and can say it is really easy to do. My pain with lensfun is that it takes a long time until they actually get published and if you just want to provide images and somebody else does the profiling you have to upload tons of megabytes.
I assume you patch your local Lensfun files with your profiles so you can at least start using them? It took a little digging for me to find out how to do this, but it's pretty straightforward... It sounds like you're already at that stage?
08-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #789
Pentaxian

I assume you patch your local Lensfun files with your profiles so you can at least start using them? It took a little digging for me to find out how to do this, but it's pretty straightforward... It sounds like you're already at that stage?
Worse than that. I shot images and uploaded them only. Then it took a long time until they got processed. But it took ages or infite time to get them into darktable. And I do not understand the whole system.

The Sigma 85 is still not in darktable 2.4.4 windows for Pentax. I submitted profiles for K-1 for the following lenses:
  • HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR
  • Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D
  • Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
  • smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR
  • smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
  • smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
The list here Lensfun is completely obsolete nonsense, this one is better: Lensfun's coverage but so,so.
And when it appeared on the latter list, it took a long time to end up in darktable, so I tried downloading the db file and overwriting the old one but that did not work and I could not find any explanation on how to update the db manually.

I also do not seem to be able contact anyone with questions.
08-04-2018, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #790
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I'm going to have to dig into this stuff. I've pretty much made up my mind to upgrade my K-1, and at that point, my LR 6 is going to be a PITA with a kludged workflow either through ACR or exif editing to import my files. I'm not ready to stick the Adobe needle in my arm without digging deeper into these alternatives. I might have to hit you up on some pointers on the tweaks you were showing with I think (memory check here) chroma noise reduction and Raw Therapee and the dead rabbit thread
I'm using the K-1 II with Lightroom 6 and as long as I use DNG format, I haven't had any problems. Adobe does have a generic K-1 II file you can put into Lightroom from the most recent version of ACR, but I went ahead and purchased Huelight's camera profiles and they have worked quite well.

Not saying you shouldn't go with Darktable, but I think you can keep using Lightroom 6 without any problem for quite awhile.
08-04-2018, 02:49 AM   #791
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is an Adobe lens correction profile for the DFA*50 and it works in all version of LR (I use it in LR 5.7.1). The exact same profile can be used in RawTherapee as well. Only darktable relies on lensfun.
Hi @beholder3, how do you get and install the LR profile for the DFA* 50? I've not found anything on the Adobe web pages to help with this.
08-04-2018, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #792
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Hi @beholder3, how do you get and install the LR profile for the DFA* 50? I've not found anything on the Adobe web pages to help with this.
You just need to install the latest version of Adobe DNG Converter. This always copies all most recent lens profiles to your HDD.
To get it working in my LR 5.7.1 I just had to copy the file "RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. (HD PENTAX-D FA 50mm F1.4 SDM AW) - RAW.lcp" into the folder "C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded"
After a restart of LR it should be selectable then.

The converter also provides all most recent camera (color) profiles btw.
08-04-2018, 03:08 AM   #793
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Worse than that. I shot images and uploaded them only. Then it took a long time until they got processed. But it took ages or infite time to get them into darktable. And I do not understand the whole system.

The Sigma 85 is still not in darktable 2.4.4 windows for Pentax. I submitted profiles for K-1 for the following lenses:
  • HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR
  • Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D
  • Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
  • smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR
  • smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
  • smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited
The list here Lensfun is completely obsolete nonsense, this one is better: Lensfun's coverage but so,so.
And when it appeared on the latter list, it took a long time to end up in darktable, so I tried downloading the db file and overwriting the old one but that did not work and I could not find any explanation on how to update the db manually.

I also do not seem to be able contact anyone with questions.
I've produced a few lens distortion correction models using Hugin's "Calibrate Lens" tool, then manually updated the Lensfun XML database files and used them successfully in Darktable 2.4.4. It's pretty straightforward once you know how. The files are stored in "/usr/share/lensfun" (assuming you're running Linux), and the data you need for each camera, mount and lens is described here HERE.

I haven't yet tackled vignetting or chromatic aberrations... That's my next mini-project.

I do wish Darktable had a simple manual correction facility for barrel and pin-cushion distortion. That would be more than ample for my needs, and in some cases it could be used creatively as well as for basic corrections. It's one of very few things I miss from Lightroom. Still I prefer Darktable in most other respects, and nothing's perfect!

Apologies to the OP for drifting off-topic
08-04-2018, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #794
Forum Member

A review by Digital trends:

Quote: "With performance that’s out of this world, Pentax takes a giant leap forward with the Star-series 50mm."

Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Review | Digital Trends
08-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadrunnerdeluxe Quote
A review by Digital trends:

Quote: "With performance that’s out of this world, Pentax takes a giant leap forward with the Star-series 50mm."

Pentax HD FA 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Review | Digital Trends
nice