Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 03:23 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

RICOH ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW STAR-SERIES LENS

RICOH ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF HD PENTAX-D FA?50mm F1.4 SDM AW STAR-SERIES LENS
First review frome China
??????????????????????
Google translate:https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=transl...44jm-TMk5_MTbw

First model in new generation of high-performance K-mount lenses delivers exceptional imaging performance and superior dependability in a wide range of shooting conditions

WEST CALDWELL, NJ, June 28, 2018 -Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation today announced the availability of the first model in its new generation of PENTAX Star series lenses, the HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW. This large-aperture, prime lens delivers stellar imaging performance and maximum light transmission—the hallmarks of the acclaimed Star series line—and is the perfect companion to any K-mount digital SLR camera including the full-frame PENTAX K-1 and new PENTAX K-1 Mark II models.

Premium-quality Star-series lenses deliver the highest performance among the PENTAX SLR interchangeable lens series, and have enjoyed enthusiastic support from PENTAX SLR camera users since the days of film. In addition to the initial design concepts of optimum image quality and large apertures for maximum light transmission, the series has embraced the additional concepts of exceptional toughness and outstanding operability, achieved through the development of a dustproof, weather-resistant lens housing. The resulting lenses provide superior dependability in wide range of shooting conditions.

The HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW lens delivers exceptional resolving power from the center to the edges of the image field, even when set to open aperture. The lens incorporates state-of-the-art PENTAX-developed lens coating technologies — including the new Aero Bright Coating II for exceptionally low reflectance and high-grade high-definition (HD) Coating — that enable it to produce extra-sharp, high-contrast images free of flare and ghost images. The lens’s dustproof, weather-resistant body also makes it extremely dependable and durable for shooting in demanding outdoor conditions. Its PENTAX K-mount covers the image circle of a 35mm-format full-frame image sensor.

The new lens is the first produced following Ricoh’s extensive review of standards for the top-of-the-line Star series. Engineers evaluated a variety of approaches to minimize aberrations and deliver the highest image quality. The HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW lens is designed to deliver optimum imaging performance with all compatible camera bodies, including next-generation digital SLRs.

| Key Features |

1. New-generation, high-performance Star-series lens with large F1.4 maximum aperture

This lens has been developed as a new-generation member of the high-performance Star series — a lineup designed to deliver extra-clear, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness while keeping aberrations to a minimum. The lens, which is the result of an extensive review of traditional Star-series standards, provides greatly improved resolving power, which enables it to deliver excellent imaging performance even with more advanced, next-generation camera bodies. Developed as the first model of the new-generation Star-series lenses, the new lens boasts an extra-large F1.4 maximum aperture, useful with many different subjects in a range of applications, including portraiture with an effectively de-focused (bokeh) background, and handheld shooting of indoor scenes. It provides exceptional image quality even at open aperture, as well as outstanding performance at close ranges.

2. State-of-the-art optical technology
The lens is treated with PENTAX-developed Aero Bright Coating II — a lens coating developed using a state-of-the-art nanotechnology process. It consists of a silica aerogel layer with a uniform porous structure over a regular multi-coating layer that reduces surface reflections across a wide wavelength range and produces crisp, high-quality images.

By coupling this advanced lens coating with the high-grade, multi-layer HD (high definition) Coating, average reflectance in the visible ray spectrum is reduced to less than 50% compared to conventional multi-layer coatings. As a result, the lens effectively reduces flare and minimizes ghost images even in demanding lighting conditions, such as backlighting. The lens incorporates three super-low dispersion glass elements and one aspherical element to effectively compensate for chromatic and spherical aberrations, enabling it to produce brilliant, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness. Since distortion is minimized even at a focusing distance of approximately one meter, the lens produces crisp, distortion-free images over the entire focusing range, from the minimum focusing distance to infinity.

3. Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
Developed as an AW (all weather) model, this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant body with eight special seals to prevent the intrusion of water and dust into the lens interior. When paired with a PENTAX weather-resistant digital SLR camera body, it forms a durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding conditions — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.

4. Newly developed ring-type motor

This lens features a newly developed ring-type SDM (supersonic direct-drive motor), which generates as much as 7.5 times the torque as the SDM installed in previous-generation lenses. This enormous driving power assures a smooth, high-speed shift of the heavy, multi-element rear lens group during focusing operation.

5. Other features

・Nine-blade, round-shaped diaphragm produces a natural-looking de-focus (bokeh) effect up to an F2.8 aperture setting, while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources
・A minimum focusing distance of 0.4 meters, effective for capturing images with a de-focus effect
・Electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism,* for flawless, high-precision exposure control during movie recording
・SP (Super Protect) coating to keep the front surface free of dust and spots

* This mechanism is available when the lens is mounted on a PENTAX K-1 Mark II, K-1, K-3 II, K-3, KP, K-70, K-50,K-S2 or K-S1 camera body.

| Pricing and Availability |

HD PENTAX-D FA★50mm F1.4 SDM AW will be available in late July 2018 at www.ricohimaging.com and retail outlets nationwide for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $1,199.95.

Last edited by OoKU; 06-29-2018 at 01:39 AM.
06-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very, very cool! Thanks for posting this! Glad to see the new 50 make it to market!
06-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I didn’t own four fast 50s I would jump on this. Maybe I’ll sell the four and get one! .4 m close focusing doesn’t sound that great for close focusing though.
06-28-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
7.5 times the torque of previous SDM? Now THAT I have to see to believe. I expect nanosecond focusing speeds with that, in addition to a support system to keep my hand from getting injured form the induced momentum.

06-28-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! You scooped Adam

Steve
06-28-2018, 03:50 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
7.5 times the torque of previous SDM? Now THAT I have to see to believe.
Requires the user to assume a special grip posture to keep the camera from twisting from hand during focus activity.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-28-2018 at 08:05 PM.
06-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

1200 USD for last pentax innovation, it will soon end up around 800-900 USD so why not. Curious to know how it does compare to the Sigma 50 Art

06-28-2018, 03:56 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
1200 USD for last pentax innovation, it will soon end up around 800-900 USD so why not. Curious to know how it does compare to the Sigma 50 Art
I wouldn’t bet on that
06-28-2018, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Very much looking forward to seeing how this performs. But I will be doing that from afar. At $1200, I think my A50/1.4 is safe
in the bag for the time being. I also don't see any specifics on its bigness, which was also always a non-starter for me. Nonetheless,
fingers crossed for a chart buster, (I can't believe I just said that).

Edit: 910g. Mega ooph! It is difficult to wrap my head around the fact that the DFA50 weighs nearly three times
the A50/1.2.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 06-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.
06-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

7.5 times the torque of previous SDM? Now THAT I have to see to believe. I expect nanosecond focusing speeds with that, in addition to a support system to keep my hand from getting injured form the induced momentum.
The SDM micromotor was too wimpy; don't expect miracles.
There's a video with the AF speed of this lens; very decent - not just for a Pentax, not PLM fast but then it has to move a heavy focus group with precision required for f/1.4.

From what I understand, the heavy focus group was an intentional design feature - required for uniformly high optical performance at all distances or something like that. This isn't a lens to perform well only on test charts.
06-28-2018, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I'm also thinking a motor of this power sets the stage to roll into other upcoming lenses, like the DFA* 85. Hopefully, the development of this motor has been a big part of the length of time bringing to market, whereby I really mean other lenses will now come faster if this can be leveraged across other designs.
06-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I can't wait to see the first reviews of performance. Sounds amazing!
06-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
First review frome China
??????????????????????
06-28-2018, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
And I'm also thinking a motor of this power sets the stage to roll into other upcoming lenses, like the DFA* 85. Hopefully, the development of this motor has been a big part of the length of time bringing to market, whereby I really mean other lenses will now come faster if this can be leveraged across other designs.
I suspect this is likely true, and if so, we should hopefully see the rest of the roadmap come to fruition much more quickly.

And >then<, perhaps we can possibly, maybe hope for updated DFA Limiteds with all this fancy modern tech, but, you know, Limited!!!
06-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
First review frome China
??????????????????????
My mandarin isn't very good...and google translate makes a mess of it too. I guess I'll have to wait for a review in English with the version that will go to market.