Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Count me in. Looking forward to the release of the DFA*50 1.4. This fills void in what was previously covered by my 43 and 55.

This image sold me: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens/k/standard/hdpentax-dfa...g/ex-pic02.jpg

Last edited by dcpropilot; 06-29-2018 at 04:07 PM.
06-29-2018, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #107
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Roger is my hero! I value his opinion more than anyone else who publishes on the Internet.

Here's my favorite Roger article - Lens Rentals | Blog .
Thanks, yet another good one from him … there are so many. Loved his series on copy variation.

And with his testing, he takes the camera, postprocessing and the skill of the photographer right out of the question, it's an optical bench, and ten samples.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Will stopping down the new Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lens to f/2 greatly improve it's sharpness, or will it already have a high level of sharpness wide open? That's the big question I have.
D1N0 has reproduced the MTF curve, but it's a traditional one. You can see both the contrast and the microcontrast wide open, and along the sagittal and meridional axes.

I like the way Canon often does these curves though … they bother plotting the performance at f8 as well, so you do get an idea like that.

As sharp as any lens might be wide open, they all peak several stops down. The planars have a less dramatic lift, but they're also have a narrower aperture as a starting point anyway (like macro lenses).
06-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #108

Photos: Albums
Joining in the posting frenzy...

I'm strictly a Pentax user and have never followed other brands in terms of how they promote their gear.

It is common for others to do these kind of promo sites like Ricoh has done for the K-1 and the the DFA 50mm?
06-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Yes, it is true that the date has been postponed to 2019 for quality improvements.

This is the official Ricoh/Pentax release.
Thanks... I wonder when the new crop body will be out.

06-30-2018, 02:12 AM - 10 Likes   #110
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since this now has a release date, I figured it would be available in Ricoh’s Tokyo showroom, so I stopped by today. It was on a K-1 II, as it was when tried it first time at CP+.

I wouldn’t know how to evaluate image quality in those conditions, so I was mainly taking note of the AF behavior and feel if he lens. It seemed to focus a bit faster than I remembered from CP+. It could have been tuned a bit, of it could just be my memory (plenty of “bokeh” there, too!). You certainly get the feeling that there’s some heavy lifting going on inside. I got a real sense that it was accelerating and then decelerating. It most hits the spot first time, but sometimes needed a final adjustment in the other direction.

In the quieter environment if the showroom, I was more aware of the noise it makes. It’s not noisy, but the sound is there and it is much lower pitched than any Pentax lens I’ve used before. Its less obtrusive and I think it will be basically unnoticeable in the field.

I realized that I don’t have a lot of experience with high end lenses of other makes, so I went to a big camera store and tried some other brands. Basically, I felt that the the Pentax feels most like a Canon lens in use. The closest one I could find to try was a 50mm f1.2 on an EOS 1D. The Pentax on the K-1 II is comfortably faster than that combination. But in general the feel is quite similar to red ring Canon lenses.

The last thought I had was how perfectly balanced the K-1 body and DFA 50 are in terms weight and also the seamless feel of the design and materials. They just feel like they are made to be together. It doesn’t really matter if you need this lens or not. If you have a K-1, you should let it be with this lens. You have no right to stand in the way of it’s happiness.
06-30-2018, 02:22 AM - 3 Likes   #111
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It doesn’t really matter if you need this lens or not. If you have a K-1, you should let it be with this lens. You have no right to stand in the way of it’s happiness.
Well there you go.
I'll just *have* to get one
06-30-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

The last thought I had was how perfectly balanced the K-1 body and DFA 50 are in terms weight and also the seamless feel of the design and materials. They just feel like they are made to be together. It doesn’t really matter if you need this lens or not. If you have a K-1, you should let it be with this lens. You have no right to stand in the way of it’s happiness.
That's evil

06-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's evil
+1
06-30-2018, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The naysayers are silenced...
06-30-2018, 04:17 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The decision between the D FA* and the DA* 55mm is a no brainer:

Source:
Product Overview | HD PENTAX-D FA?50mm F1.4 SDM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
Small still is beautifull :jap:
06-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Especially that beautiful small squeak: "I can't do it... I'll take a nap" right when the subject is in front of you.
06-30-2018, 04:50 AM   #117
Pentaxian

If the DFA 50 is so happy on the K-1 and the K-1 so happy with the DFA 50, I wonder how the K-3II would feel... Can't wait to see how this combo works out.
06-30-2018, 05:28 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Thanks... I wonder when the new crop body will be out.
They said they are working on it, so probably 75% done.
06-30-2018, 05:37 AM - 3 Likes   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I think it likely the next APSc flagship will be a major technology jump for Pentax - which is why it is taking so long. Whatever new stuff is in there will be applied to the next d645, FF and the rest of the APSc range as well.

Given the take-no-prisoners quality and features of the * lenses, the value of the Pentax-designed D FA lenses (28-105 for example) and the declared plan to extend the Limited line, how do you think the flagship APSc body will be positioned?*

* We should know by February, 2019.

.:
06-30-2018, 05:48 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I suspect they are working on capabilities of hardware versus cost so probably don't even have hardware finalized. When that happens, then it is up to the software gurus to make all of the improvements really sing.
Seems like Pentax decides on what they want to achieve in the overall package then try to put it together. The question is what will the hardware inside the K-3 replacement look like? Bigger sensor? AF module? Who designs the modules? The individual companies or is their paid sharing going on? Would Sony sell their AF modules to a competitor? Inquiring minds who know nothing about camera design want to know.

---------- Post added 06-30-18 at 05:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Given the take-no-prisoners quality and features of the * lenses, the value of the Pentax-designed D FA lenses (28-105 for example) and the declared plan to extend the Limited line, how do you think the flagship APSc body will be positioned?*
* We should know by February, 2019.
Did Pentax say that or is that the time of a major photo show?