Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I suspect they are working on capabilities of hardware versus cost so probably don't even have hardware finalized. When that happens, then it is up to the software gurus to make all of the improvements really sing.
Seems like Pentax decides on what they want to achieve in the overall package then try to put it together. The question is what will the hardware inside the K-3 replacement look like? Bigger sensor? AF module? Who designs the modules? The individual companies or is their paid sharing going on? Would Sony sell their AF modules to a competitor? Inquiring minds who know nothing about camera design want to know.
I’m fairly certain I’ve read that Pentax designed and Pentax (or perhaps Ricoh) manufactures the current PDAF AF sensor, but it is supposedly an in-house product.

06-30-2018, 06:03 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m fairly certain I’ve read that Pentax designed and Pentax (or perhaps Ricoh) manufactures the current PDAF AF sensor, but it is supposedly an in-house product.
It's hard to believe they couldn't d better shipping the open market. But hey, what do I know?
06-30-2018, 06:13 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Adorama is showing $3 less than B&H. Not that it matters much.
06-30-2018, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I suspect they are working on capabilities of hardware versus cost so probably don't even have hardware finalized. When that happens, then it is up to the software gurus to make all of the improvements really sing.
Seems like Pentax decides on what they want to achieve in the overall package then try to put it together. The question is what will the hardware inside the K-3 replacement look like? Bigger sensor? AF module? Who designs the modules? The individual companies or is their paid sharing going on? Would Sony sell their AF modules to a competitor? Inquiring minds who know nothing about camera design want to know.

---------- Post added 06-30-18 at 05:49 AM ----------

Did Pentax say that or is that the time of a major photo show?
I infer it based on the (rumored) new release date (asahi man) of the *11~18 (Feb, 2019). So it is definitely conjecture.

06-30-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's hard to believe they couldn't d better shipping the open market. But hey, what do I know?
Ricoh has semiconductor design and manufacturing skill. IIRC there have been several statements they do confer with Ricoh engineers. I don’t think they outsourced design or manufacture of the Accelerator either. It has PENTAX printed on the cover. If they use 1,000,000 units across all the platforms over the life of the sensor or Accelerator why outsource it? They’re probably quite jealous of the technology and that’s enough units to make them in-house.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-30-2018 at 06:25 AM.
06-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #126

Photos: Gallery
sadly a bit too expensive for me very nice bokeh tho...
06-30-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it likely the next APSc flagship will be a major technology jump for Pentax - which is why it is taking so long. Whatever new stuff is in there will be applied to the next d645, FF and the rest of the APSc range as well.

Given the take-no-prisoners quality and features of the * lenses, the value of the Pentax-designed D FA lenses (28-105 for example) and the declared plan to extend the Limited line, how do you think the flagship APSc body will be positioned?*

* We should know by February, 2019.

.:

They suggested that the aps body would be the flagship of the K-mount...

06-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #128
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m curious what the pre-order numbers will be like.
06-30-2018, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They suggested that the aps body would be the flagship of the K-mount...
Which partly supports my contention. Develop your new technology for the 300,000 unit / year body. Port the technology to your 85,000 unit / year body (FF) and 20,000 unit planned production body (645) and you distribute your R&D costs across 400,000 units a year, or roughly 2,000,000 units. Roll it down to the enthusiast APSc bodies over time and add 3,000,000 more units after the R&D is fully amortized.

The * lens fetish doesn’t really support the thesis though - unless - If they’re really developing lenses with the resolving power for the next generation of sensors then are they developing a completely new APSC K-mount body platform for the next generation of sensors? Will a Pentax FF always be a great IQ value for existing Pentax users, but never a flagship body? Why then FF * lenses? Are they developing the technology for intentional porting to FF?

Lots of questions to be answered over the next couple of years. I wouldn’t”t be surprised if the pace of new product announcements increases dramatically.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.
06-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thats the way it works but do they make that many cameras?
06-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #131
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As i recall the production expectation for K-3, K-1 and 645z those were the numbers. IDK KP or K-70. The K-7 platform lasted ten years. How many cameras willl they make in the next ten years? I bet they think they know.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-30-2018 at 08:51 AM.
06-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #132
Pentaxian

20,000 units per year is approx. three times the size of the global medium format market before the introduction of mirrorless medium format cameras by Fujifilm and Hasselblad, which is said to have substantially increased the market size.
06-30-2018, 11:25 AM   #133
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Which partly supports my contention. Develop your new technology for the 300,000 unit / year body. Port the technology to your 85,000 unit / year body (FF) and 20,000 unit planned production body (645) and you distribute your R&D costs across 400,000 units a year, or roughly 2,000,000 units. Roll it down to the enthusiast APSc bodies over time and add 3,000,000 more units after the R&D is fully amortized.
A little optimistisch on the numbers, but basicly that is the way it works.

I guess if the top of the line aps-c is the next camera coming (sometime 2019) then they have still time to work things out.
- a new af-module (but this could be an upgrade from the current one and not new from scratch)
- the shake reduction system is fine and doesn't need an upgrade (but could)
- a new sensor (from Sony)
- a new processor (staying with milbeaut is the cheapest way)
- a new electronic lay-out of the camera inside.......Is expensive but needs to be done at some point (now Pentax has a lot of wie inside while Sony has some boards inside), but I don't think for the next run.
- a new body design, but choosing one of the current body's could work (so starting from K-3ii or KP and work on it).
- a new light metering could be done, but maybe they will stay with the 86k they use now.

Who knows, could be a lot new inside the camera, or a lot the same.....
06-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
20,000 units per year is approx. three times the size of the global medium format market before the introduction of mirrorless medium format cameras by Fujifilm and Hasselblad, which is said to have substantially increased the market size.
Note I wrote planned production of 20,000 units, not annual production. .
06-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #135
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
"This lens features a newly developed ring-type SDM (supersonic direct-drive motor), which generates as much as 7.5 times the torque as the SDM installed in previous-generation lenses. This enormous driving power assures a smooth, high-speed shift of the heavy, multi-element rear lens group during focusing operation."

Will this have a significant effect on battery charge duration?

This is the first thing I thought about, in theory it should have a negative impact on battery life, considering also the weight.

Is this not conceivable?