Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 11:49 PM - 2 Likes   #256
Pentaxian

You can see the aperture control unit here:
PENTAX LENS TECHNOLOGY | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
Doesn't look like a plug-in replacement.

07-10-2018, 02:43 AM - 3 Likes   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I admit it was pure speculation, which is why my first two words were "I think".

As far as negative perceptions, which is more negative - that Pentax was being overly conservative, or that they are totally clueless when it comes to projecting demand? In any case it's a problem that is easily rectified, and I do consider it a positive sign overall. I notice you didn't take exception to that part of my statement.
I think demand is just really high. Pentax (like all brands) does runs of lenses to cover demand for the next year or two and then will shut that line down and work on other lenses. There would be no point to their making just twenty-five or fifty lenses. They will keep building DFA *50 lenses until they have a sizeable store of them and then move on.

I would just read this statement as a positive one (Pentaxians are really interested in high end gear and are willing to pay for it), rather than a negative one (Pentax is run by idiots who are clueless at projecting demand). If demand is high, it will give more encouragement to get the other DFA * primes out the door.
07-10-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #258
Pentaxian

It's also quite possible that it's intentional - tooling and training enough people to cover the initial demand is a waste IMO. So they might've been planning for a lower, steadier production rate.
07-10-2018, 03:21 AM   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I think it's more down to over-conservative bean-counters at Pentax. They refused to authorize a realistic amount of up-front build without demonstrated demand.

On the other hand it's probably a positive signal for green-lighting similar projects at headquarters.
I don't see any reason to use the word "over" before the word "conservative"; Nikon had a similar position with respect to the D850 .... and everyone thought it was great that demand was larger than expected.

07-10-2018, 03:34 AM - 3 Likes   #260
Pentaxian

Rule #1. Anything that happens with Pentax, is bad.
Rule #2. If something good happens, see rule #1.
07-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think demand is just really high. Pentax (like all brands) does runs of lenses to cover demand for the next year or two and then will shut that line down and work on other lenses. There would be no point to their making just twenty-five or fifty lenses. They will keep building DFA *50 lenses until they have a sizeable store of them and then move on.

I would just read this statement as a positive one (Pentaxians are really interested in high end gear and are willing to pay for it), rather than a negative one (Pentax is run by idiots who are clueless at projecting demand). If demand is high, it will give more encouragement to get the other DFA * primes out the door.
Obviously you are right.
07-10-2018, 04:55 AM   #262
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm sure this DFA*50 is going to be an exceptional lens (similar to the Leica) but with Pentax star rendering and Pentax price. Question for me is what's next. I'm invested in so much new Pentax lenses right now that I would need to have more clarity on Pentax future before I commit any more money to Pentax lenses. Postponement of the 11-18 was not reassuring me because I wonder how Ricoh are going to be able to keep customers without a regular refresh of their product line.
I'm in a similar situation with Pentax but I can somehow understand why they're threading so carefully.

Nevertheless it is discouraging.

07-10-2018, 06:24 AM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You can see the aperture control unit here:
PENTAX LENS TECHNOLOGY | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
Doesn't look like a plug-in replacement.
Difficult to draw a conclusion but that is anyway for the picture, very interesting.
07-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #264
Veteran Member

It's also quite possible that it's intentional - tooling and training enough people to cover the initial demand is a waste IMO. So they might've been planning for a lower, steadier production rate.
It also might be intentional to try to create some buzz for the brand, I didn't even think of that. Something that's unobtainable is always just a little more desirable.
07-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Difficult to draw a conclusion but that is anyway for the picture, very interesting.
Good modern technology like this will help all future lenses.
07-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I'm sure this DFA*50 is going to be an exceptional lens (similar to the Leica) but with Pentax star rendering and Pentax price. Question for me is what's next. I'm invested in so much new Pentax lenses right now that I would need to have more clarity on Pentax future before I commit any more money to Pentax lenses. Postponement of the 11-18 was not reassuring me because I wonder how Ricoh are going to be able to keep customers without a regular refresh of their product line.
The future of 'star' lenses is that they will take care with them - they will do it right. Would doing less than that be encouraging to you???
07-10-2018, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #267
Veteran Member

The whole delay was caused by slow throughput due to the high precision requirements and QC. Doubling the size of the production line and no of staff assembling the lenses is a huge cost that can be avoided just by taking their time. Overcapacity is a killer in manufacturing.
07-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
"This lens features a newly developed ring-type SDM (supersonic direct-drive motor), which generates as much as 7.5 times the torque as the SDM installed in previous-generation lenses. This enormous driving power assures a smooth, high-speed shift of the heavy, multi-element rear lens group during focusing operation."

Will this have a significant effect on battery charge duration?
hi, i am just curious as to what motors are in the first 3 f2.8 lenses pentax brought out more or less with the k1, or are they gonna be reissued with superduper motors, regards ian
07-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #269
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
What motors are in the first 3 f2.8 lenses Pentax brought out more or less with the K-1, or will they be reissued with superduper motors?
I was not aware the existing motors were in any way a problem. Why would you want them revised?

To answer the first part of your question, as far as I'm aware, the DFA15-30 and DFA24-70 have whatever Tamron's SDM analogue is (not to be confused with the glitchy SDM in the DA* zooms), and the DFA*70-200 has a Pentax-designed DC motor.
07-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That was the only way to stop that torquey AF from ripping the lens from the mount
hi, just a quick question, what motors are in the 3 2.8 lenses that were brought out more or less with the k1, or is this a new type that the others will need to be redone or something, bit confused with all of this, thanks ian