Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2018, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #331
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
I just read more about this new 50, and I'm disappointed to find that it's incompatible with my K-5. While I have been wondering about upgrading to a newer body, I don't have any concrete plans to do so, and the new KAF4 aperture control makes this lens off-limits for me. I guess my bank account will be pleased, but my camera bag will not be....
Expect the other primes in the series to be like that, Mlaird, unfortunately.

It will work on a K-50 with aperture block failure, BTW.

07-15-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Expect the other primes in the series to be like that, Mlaird, unfortunately.

It will work on a K-50 with aperture block failure, BTW.
Ouch..
07-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #333
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just heard from C.R.Kennedy that the first Australian shipment of the DFA*50 is expected on Friday 3rd August. A couple of weeks behind some other markets, but not too long to wait
07-16-2018, 02:45 AM   #334
Veteran Member

I just read more about this new 50, and I'm disappointed to find that it's incompatible with my K-5. While I have been wondering about upgrading to a newer body, I don't have any concrete plans to do so, and the new KAF4 aperture control makes this lens off-limits for me. I guess my bank account will be pleased, but my camera bag will not be....
Its been made with future FF cameras in mind, not 8 year old APS-C Cameras. 43ltd and 55/1.4 give great results on APS-C. The New 11-18/2.8 is being made with the KAF3 mount so that older users do have access, so its not like they don’t care about legacy camera users. At some point they need to move forward and doing so with lenses that are covered by existing older lenses is a good way to do it, especially since the target audience is K1 users.

07-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 is getting a wee bit long in the tooth. There are plenty of cameras you could get used for not too much that are KAF 4 compatible.

I don't understand the whole reason for the KAF 4 change, but I know that one of the excuses that Sigma had for not making Pentax mount lenses had to do with the mechanical aperture control that Pentax was still using till recently. Also, I think somehow it benefits video? Regardless, it seemed as though it was something Pentax needed to do to modernize their mount.
07-16-2018, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Its been made with future FF cameras in mind, not 8 year old APS-C Cameras.
Indeed.
And it's not an "it could work either way" decision. Making the brand new D FA* 50mm f/1.4 backwards compatible with soon to be retired cameras means restricting it to a mechanism designed in 1975. The mechanical aperture linkage is slow, inaccurate, noisy, unsuitable for video, poses restrictions in lens design/aperture placement, and might introduce mechanical shock.
I'm sorry for everyone affected by this, but "I have an 8 years old camera" isn't strong enough to put up with the disadvantages.

The unfortunate thing is that the K-5 is such a nice camera... but it wasn't even made under Ricoh.
07-16-2018, 03:28 AM - 2 Likes   #337
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax has always made new bodies which are backwards compatible with old lenses, not the other way around.
Glass is forever.

07-16-2018, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand the whole reason for the KAF 4 change,
It makes it easier and better for video features.
It makes it easier and better for using on (theoretical own) mirrorless cameras while at the same time raising the bar on adapting the lenses on competitor bodies.

It saves space and cost in bodies.
It can achieve better and consistent exposures with high framerates.
07-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #339
Pentaxian

Except for saving space and cost in bodies - as cameras must offer both systems - that's a good summary.
07-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #340
Veteran Member

Electronic aperture is more precise and can be driven faster. Some Sony FE lenses cannot be used @ 20 fps with A9 as the aperture mechanism does not work fast enough. Sony even has list which lenses work and which do not.
07-16-2018, 05:29 AM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-5 is getting a wee bit long in the tooth. There are plenty of cameras you could get used for not too much that are KAF 4 compatible.

I don't understand the whole reason for the KAF 4 change, but I know that one of the excuses that Sigma had for not making Pentax mount lenses had to do with the mechanical aperture control that Pentax was still using till recently. Also, I think somehow it benefits video? Regardless, it seemed as though it was something Pentax needed to do to modernize their mount.
The KAF-4 offers faster and more precise control of the aperture. It's also easier and less expensive to build lenses with electronic control vs mechanical control. It also makes it easier for 3rd party companies to adapt lenses to K-mount. So say you wanted Tamron to adapt over their 15-30mm F/2.8 or their 24-70mm F/2.8. Its easier and less expensive to do if you have an electronic aperture control.
07-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #342
Forum Member

I realize the K5 is getting a bit old, but I usually upgrade my camera body only every other major generation. So I skipped the K3, and have been awaiting the next flagship crop sensor body. I don't think the KP really qualifies as a flagship body, although it does seem very capable. I was hoping by now to hear of at least some good rumors on what is coming next for the top of the APS-C line.
07-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #343
Forum Member

K1 + 50mm D FA* 50mm F1.4 review.

Ummm, it's in Russian though.
07-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #344
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Except for saving space and cost in bodies - as cameras must offer both systems
DSLR as-is yes, strategic target in the future no. If they ever build a mirrorless system in 3-5 years I expect them to drop that mechanical lever in the bodies (just in adapter).
07-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #345
Pentaxian

Right; from this point of view it makes sense. Not to drop but rather not to include it - a new system will surely use a full-electronic mount.
I was thinking of the KAF4 itself.