Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
DSLR as-is yes, strategic target in the future no. If they ever build a mirrorless system in 3-5 years I expect them to drop that mechanical lever in the bodies (just in adapter).
I would expect Reflex cameras to retain the in-body focus motors for quite some time. If they ever release a MILC I expect a new mount and KAF4 adapter with no in-body focus motor linkage. No focus motor in the adapter either.

MILC, I expect, will eventually be the Ricoh path forward whether or not branded a Pentax camera. The issue is the capital investment to manufacture the bodies (unless they are sold or partner with someone).

07-16-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I would expect Reflex cameras to retain the in-body focus motors for quite some time. If they ever release a MILC I expect a new mount and KAF4 adapter with no in-body focus motor linkage. No focus motor in the adapter either.

MILC, I expect, will eventually be the Ricoh path forward whether or not branded a Pentax camera. The issue is the capital investment to manufacture the bodies (unless they are sold or partner with someone).
IN a different kind of way, the new lenses may be nothing more than Pentax getting ready to release a MILC somewhere down the line. Getting the lenses ready before the launch so that when they do launch, there will be lenses to take advantage of the new bodies. KAF4 is the logical system for a MILC camera.

Last edited by normhead; 07-16-2018 at 07:18 AM.
07-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #348
Pentaxian

KAF4 is primarily the logical choice for a DSLR system.
KAF4 and the ring-type SDM were things that should've happened a while ago (under Hoya, if not under Pentax Corporation). The mechanical aperture linkage is just an artifact of an age with mechanical cameras.
07-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #349
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN a different kind of way, the new lenses may be nothing more than Pentax getting ready to release a MILC somewhere down the line. Getting the lenses ready before the launch so that when the do launch, there will be lenses to take advantage of the new bodies. KAF4 is the logical system for a MILC camera.
That infers a K-mount MILC, which would be different. And very ‘like’ Pentax* to do.

* something on the order of some XS pancakes with in-lens motors, plus the ‘big’ lenses.

07-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #350
Pentaxian

Hmm... I remember some highly ranked official saying that, if they'd do it, it would have to be a new mount with a large diameter...
07-16-2018, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm... I remember some highly ranked official saying that, if they'd do it, it would have to be a new mount with a large diameter...
That sounds like more of an argument for why they will never have MILC. The rate at which the new DFA lenses are rolling out is upsetting to many. How would Pentax ever convince anyone to go to a system with practically no lenses available, given the slow rate at which they release new glass. They are slow releasing lenses for their current mounts. adding one more mount would turn the current "snails' pace, into "put a mark beside it on the sidewalk and come back in an hour to see if it's moving."

They don't exactly have a track record as company who can get new lenses out the door quickly. After buying a Q system, and then have them cancel the Q macro, I wouldn't buy into a new Pentax system unless every lens I wanted for it was available at the time of purchase. Fool me once....

Last edited by normhead; 07-16-2018 at 09:35 AM.
07-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #352
Pentaxian

We might be only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

07-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

D FA*50/1.4 . . . subject discussion*

* can you picture this lens on the front of an MX?
07-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
D FA*50/1.4 . . . subject discussion*

* can you picture this lens on the front of an MX?
That's film. Use a Q.
07-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welp. Here we go again.

I received the customary B&H Extended Backorder verification email. I called again to ask again. My order has changed from “Shipping July 20th” to, “We don’t know. We’ll ask the Pentax Rep.”

I told the CS guy the website is accepting orders with a Ship Date of July 24th, so I should be before that - but no, they (say they) don’t know anything.

This is the last time for somebody.

EDIT: B&H confirms by email Pentax Rep can give no guidance RE: availability of stock for MY order placed June 30th. I really don’t care when I get the lens. I just want them to be able to tell me something more specific than, “It’s Backordered. We don’t know. We’ll tell you when it has been shipped.”

Last edited by monochrome; 07-17-2018 at 04:50 AM.
07-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #356
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand the whole reason for the KAF 4 change
Easier for design and repairs.
In a distant future : lighter body with no AF motor inside.
07-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #357
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Easier for design and repairs.
In a distant future : lighter body with no AF motor inside.
Not to mention I hate that piece of metal sticking out the back of the lens when changing lenses in the wild.
07-16-2018, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wait, what's going on here in this thread now? MILC? K-01 rides again? Can we at least get aperture rings back?
07-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
I realize the K5 is getting a bit old, but I usually upgrade my camera body only every other major generation. So I skipped the K3, and have been awaiting the next flagship crop sensor body. I don't think the KP really qualifies as a flagship body, although it does seem very capable. I was hoping by now to hear of at least some good rumors on what is coming next for the top of the APS-C line.
It should be coming soon. I would guess Ricoh is going to release it with the new DA* zoom that was coming this year. Ricoh seems to have a very hard time moving products from development to production.
07-16-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #360
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It should be coming soon. I would guess Ricoh is going to release it with the new DA* zoom that was coming this year. Ricoh seems to have a very hard time moving products from development to production.
I think that they realized that they need to tool up their production plants first for quality goals and current standards of high end products. That takes a lot of time and resources.