Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The FA 50 isn't even a 90s lens. It is a lens based on an optical formula that goes back to at least the 60s. The F series added auto focus in 87, but this and the DA *55 were the first lenses in the 50s that weren't based on decades old formula.

Honestly, looking at the photos, there is no comparison between the DFA *50 lens's rendering and the FA 50 f1.4.
What about the comparisons with the 55 1.4?

It is true, my 50s have a lot more use since I bought the K-1, but it's still pretty small. The numbers I quoted above are images taken since I bought the K-1.

I wonder how many forum members have ordered or are planning to order this lens. Personally, I'd love to order one, I'm just don't think that with my limited retirement income (coupled with no overtime or bonuses) it would be good use of limited funds.

After all, lots of people think I should have a 150-450, and I definitely want whatever wide angle they might come out with, as long as it's 24mm or less. SO there are two lenses I really would like to get, both more compelling for my shooting than a 50. Yet, part of me thinks "you really need to have a good 50". I would have loved it for the wedding I shot.(Which I shot mostly with the FA 50 1.7) And those are 200 keepers not included in my above count. They are in a separate library.)

Life is full of decisions with that have to be made when there's no good clear cut answer.

If I'm ever asked to do another wedding, maybe I'll consider it.

Last edited by normhead; 07-20-2018 at 08:57 AM.
07-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone commented on the autofocus speed yet? Rendering looks gorgeous
07-20-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What about the comparisons with the 55 1.4?

It is true, my 50s have a lot more use since I bought the K-1, but it's still pretty small. The numbers I quoted above are images taken since I bought the K-1.

I wonder how many forum members have ordered or are planning to order this lens. Personally, I'd love to order one, I'm just don't think that with my limited retirement income (coupled with no overtime or bonuses) it would be good use of limited funds.

After all, lots of people think I should have a 150-450, and I definitely want whatever wide angle they might come out with, as long as it's 24mm or less. SO there are two lenses I really would like to get, both more compelling for my shooting than a 50. Yet, part of me thinks "you really need to have a good 50". I would have loved it for the wedding I shot.(Which I shot mostly with the FA 50 1.7) And those are 200 keepers not included in my above count. They are in a separate library.)

Life is full of decisions with that have to be made when there's no good clear cut answer.

If I'm ever asked to do another wedding, maybe I'll consider it.
Tough to say. DA *55 has odd bokeh wide open, which this lens doesn't. The DA *55 also has pretty serious vignetting till about f2, which I'm not sure about this lens in that respect.

Based on photos, the DFA *50 looks sharper at wider aperture, has better bokeh, and probably kills the DA *55 in the auto focus department, where the DA *55 is one of the slowest focusing lenses I've used (other than macro lenses).
07-20-2018, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #499
Pentaxian

These images don't show anything unfortunately. At least they don't show the strengths normally considered to evaluate the quality of a lens, in this case a 1kg prime. They look as if they were taken with mobile phone camera.

07-20-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #500
maw
Pentaxian

If you think, that in this period on holiday, a single day costs at least 100 €, instead of twenty days you spend only ten and with the advancing you buy it. Is that impossible?

Later you will be able to boast with friends and with us.
07-20-2018, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #501
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 5r82 Quote
These images don't show anything unfortunately. At least they don't show the strengths normally considered to evaluate the quality of a lens, in this case a 1kg prime. They look as if they were taken with mobile phone camera.
What qualities about the images look like mobile phone images?
I mean people can say anything they want, but surely, if you're going to say something like that we deserve to know why you think that. By the way, i totally don't agree so make it good.
07-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #502
Pentaxian

I need therapy.
Buy a lens,you will be cured!

07-20-2018, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #503
Veteran Member

Looking at the 50mm lens club - less than 200 posts a year over 7 years. By comparison the Fisheye club gets close to 300 posts year.
The FA* 85 1.4 club has almost 6000 posts in a little over year in existence.

I guess when the new 85 is released, that's when Pentax plans to start rolling in dough.

It does make me wonder though, does everyone just buy a 50 because it's the traditional thing to do? I don't always have 50 with me in the field, but I always have at least 3 on my shelf. Looking at what percentage of my photos are taken with 50s, that just doesn't make any sense.

I need therapy.

Meanwhile the Sigma Art 18-35 1.8 club is all the way up to 8 pages and 108 posts. It has to be the most hyped least used lens on the planet.
There are a million 43ltd and da*55 photos though which are not in the 50 club. Strangely enough people tend to shoot with their favourite lenses, and their favorite lenses are also often their best lenses. The fa 50 and da 50 are nobody's favorite if they have pockets deep enough to afford limiteds of star lenses.
07-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #504

Did anyone's lens come today??

07-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
Did anyone's lens come today??
Still on Backordered at B&H and they won’t say where I am n line. Of course they’re closed until sunset tomorrow, then it is Sunday, so I’m hoping they’ll ship Monday. At least their website says ‘Available July 24th’ for regular purchases so I’m optimistic, but the waiting is killing me.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-20-2018 at 07:27 PM.
07-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #506
Pentaxian

I mean people can say anything they want, but surely, if you're going to say something like that we deserve to know why you think that. By the way, i totally don't agree so make it good.
Sure, no problems. Well, the images are totally ruined by post processing. Quality of the output was obviously degraded too much making it look like an image taken with mobile phone camera and treated with creative filters. It's nosily, grainy, colorful and whatever. I'm not saying they're bad photography wise but they don't represent new lens in a good way. And when we're speaking of new lens, we're speaking about pixel peeping, chromatic aberrations, bokeh, sharpness, etc. These things are maybe irrelevant for a good photo but when you have 1200$ 1kg lens in front of you, you want to show it's powers to the entire photography world. This lens doesn't make me crave for it at all. But, I'm sure someone will make good use of it in their photography, especially those few Pentaxian pros.
07-21-2018, 01:29 AM   #507
Pentaxian

Sure, no problems. Well, the images are totally ruined by post processing. Quality of the output was obviously degraded too much making it look like an image taken with mobile phone camera and treated with creative filters. It's nosily, grainy, colorful and whatever. I'm not saying they're bad photography wise but they don't represent new lens in a good way. And when we're speaking of new lens, we're speaking about pixel peeping, chromatic aberrations, bokeh, sharpness, etc. These things are maybe irrelevant for a good photo but when you have 1200$ 1kg lens in front of you, you want to show it's powers to the entire photography world. This lens doesn't make me crave for it at all. But, I'm sure someone will make good use of it in their photography, especially those few Pentaxian pros.
I want that mobile phone!
07-21-2018, 01:41 AM - 2 Likes   #508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don’t look closely, critically or long enough, anything can seem as good as a mobile phone photo, especially if you have no reference nearby at the time. If you’re only going to post to Snapchat or the like, this lens clearly isn’t for you. Print anything to go on a wall at a good size, and you’ll be able to see a difference, if you really look. Mind you, some mobile phone photos can be pretty good, but I wouldn’t rely on one for every photo I take. Then again, I do know some people who think Beats headphones are the bees knees. Whatever...
07-21-2018, 01:53 AM   #509
Veteran Member

Amazon has 7 in stock. Pentax HD Pentax D FA 50mm 1.4 SDM AW Full Frame, All Weather Camera Lens, Black amazon.com : Pentax HD Pentax D FA 50mm 1.4 SDM AW Full Frame, All Weather Camera Lens, Black : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
07-21-2018, 01:59 AM - 2 Likes   #510
Pentaxian

the images are totally ruined by post processing. Quality of the output was obviously degraded too much making it look like an image taken with mobile phone camera and treated with creative filters.
Seem like you are talking about this shot: At the swamps - Pentax User Photo Gallery
Quite revealing.