Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #616
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GO HERE (1st Forum sample image thread Post - many and varied images)

07-24-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #617
Pentaxian

Original Poster
http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1807/20/news112.html
07-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #618

I checked most of the sample pictures but I can tell, pictures look ok but I'm not so impress I ordered my d fa 50mm I will be receiving it soon let me test it ,then i will figure out because i was so excited for this new lens...
07-24-2018, 11:00 PM - 5 Likes   #619
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaisas Quote
I checked most of the sample pictures but I can tell, pictures look ok but I'm not so impress I ordered my d fa 50mm I will be receiving it soon let me test it ,then i will figure out because i was so excited for this new lens...
The truth is, no one will every fully benefit from this lens optics after downsizing images 1000 pixels wide. And to appreciate image quality one needs a display that can render it. I'm move from HD LCD to IPS 4K to OLED, and every time I saw an increase of image quality from look at all my images including images from my K200D. When posted at 800 pixels, most of the information from the native 36Mpixel files is lost. Out of focus transition and contrast is about the only thing that can be still appreciated after downsizing. Also, at the end of the day, the D-FA*50 is still a 50mm lens, it is limited to the rendering that can be pulled out of a 50mm lens, it's never going to be pulling 3D like with a 85mm 1.4 and the 500mm is never going to be changing geometry proportions like a 20mm would do. At the end of the day, no matter how sharp it is, it is still going to give a normal view. The D-FA*50 is going to a lens for people who want image perfection and who are willing to do the extra effort to cope with the 50mm FoV.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-24-2018 at 11:06 PM.
07-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #620
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Or #1 on the Prime lens best seller list
Hehe. That's a better way to look at it.

---------- Post added 07-25-18 at 12:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Somebody needs to do a youtube video review before that Cameraville guy does one.
Don't you like his reviews?
07-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #621
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
The bokeh on this lens is distractingly uniform.
Apparently that was the plan. Good to see they succeeded.
07-25-2018, 01:06 AM   #622
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All those pics show gorgeous rendering IMO.

07-25-2018, 03:41 AM   #623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We haven't heard a peep out of Tokina since Feb (that I know of) - I wonder when their version is coming out, The reason I mention it is that their version might even get reviewed by someone other than PF and ephotozine!
07-25-2018, 04:24 AM   #624
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The truth is, no one will every fully benefit from this lens optics after downsizing images 1000 pixels wide. And to appreciate image quality one needs a display that can render it. I'm move from HD LCD to IPS 4K to OLED, and every time I saw an increase of image quality from look at all my images including images from my K200D. When posted at 800 pixels, most of the information from the native 36Mpixel files is lost. Out of focus transition and contrast is about the only thing that can be still appreciated after downsizing. Also, at the end of the day, the D-FA*50 is still a 50mm lens, it is limited to the rendering that can be pulled out of a 50mm lens, it's never going to be pulling 3D like with a 85mm 1.4 and the 500mm is never going to be changing geometry proportions like a 20mm would do. At the end of the day, no matter how sharp it is, it is still going to give a normal view. The D-FA*50 is going to a lens for people who want image perfection and who are willing to do the extra effort to cope with the 50mm FoV.
I do hope that people understand what you say.

If you are posting to Facebook, or even here on the Pentax Forum, most any camera on the market will get you there. But I think that a lot of people are trying to get medium format level performance out of full frame sensors and to do that, you need top end optics. This 50 is just one of a new set of lenses that should (hopefully) deliver those sorts of levels of performance.

But it won't be easily seen in downsized photos on the web. What you can see is out of focus rendering and transitions from in focus to out of focus and resistance to flare and in all those things this lens seems excellent.
07-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #625
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
We haven't heard a peep out of Tokina since Feb (that I know of) - I wonder when their version is coming out, The reason I mention it is that their version might even get reviewed by someone other than PF and ephotozine!
They said in august.
07-25-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H just hit my Credit Card for $1,199.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
After a long hold at B&H I got the ‘Buyer has stepped away from his desk and I cannot say when he will be available’ response. Note: This is precisely the same sequence of calls and responses I had with my K-1 pre-order and I am every bit as upset as I was then. No one will own up. There isn’t any way to know who is at fault, so all you can do is buy from a B&M Dealer or switch brands.

At least I paid with a credit card so I’ll just wait - or maybe I’ll cancel and do the K-1ll Upgrade instead.

Update: Order cannot be canceled at this time. Please contact CS for assistance. Kafka would laugh.
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I'm sure it will be in this week. The truck probably came in this afternoon.
I imagine you are correct - but if I treated my customers this way I’d be out of business in 6 months.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Hopefully that just means it's already in the shipping department and it's too late to stop.
I think that’s likely. All this drama and they’ll end up Shipping the lens pretty much when they said they would, which is why I invoked Franz Kafka.
07-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #627
Pentaxian

The lens appears in stock at B&H... you should soon get yours.
07-25-2018, 07:58 AM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaisas Quote
Have you seen this?

Random Flowers - PentaxForums.com
07-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got my stock alert from B&H that it is available. Property taxes due in September, but soon. Don't think I'll be able to hold out too long. Gotta keep the house first though

07-25-2018, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #630
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The lens appears in stock at B&H... you should soon get yours.
Yes. I’ll have the lens maybe Friday, probably Monday.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-25-2018 at 04:50 PM.