Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #691

It would be interesting if DXOMARK will test it to see the comparison with the Sigma and Milvus. Would be a real game changer for Sony Canon users to be adopting a Pentax lens

07-27-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #692
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobSpot Quote
Would be a real game changer for Sony Canon users to be adopting a Pentax lens
Game changer for them to adapt a Pentax lens and not have an aperture lever to hack off. Hope they buy them by the dozen so Ricoh can fund development of the lenses I told them to in my long-winded emails.
07-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #693
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Game changer for them to adapt a Pentax lens and not have an aperture lever to hack off. Hope they buy them by the dozen so Ricoh can fund development of the lenses I told them to in my long-winded emails.
It would suppose adapter get updated to use the KAF4 and electronic aperture.
07-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #694

Game changer for them to adapt a Pentax lens and not have an aperture lever to hack off
I see the KAF4 as a big step forward The KAF3 lens with the lever cannot be used on my Sigma, but K mount lenses with out the lever work fine on both cameras so for me the new mount is making Pentax lenses much more attractive again.

07-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #695
Pentaxian

Sooo, i had the opportunity to put my hand on this lens today, and to compare it quickly with my like new SMC DA*55/1.4

Here are my first-hand findings :

1- really heavy, solid built and also very handy , whilst the older DA* might get a litle bit more of a softer build materials (and has no super aero-bright nor HD coatings)

2- pretty qwicker AF speed, though not that faster in AF lock, due to the higher moment of force (K-1 in fw 1.5) and despite slightly shorter distance span (less graduations an AF rotation angle)

3- top of the notch resolution even @ the widest aperture. The DA* poorly compares here (f/1.4), and this is worst near it's minimum focus distance (respectively 40 and 45cm) and getting off center

4- "same" AF lock and potential irregular F/B focus issues

5- very comparable bokeh and colour rendering in interior daylight

6- better vignetting result with the DFA*, though this aspect is not really a problem with DA* if you dont need the highest quality file-corners.

So basically, and not pre-empting forth-comming deeper comparisons, if you are not reluctant with "overload", and need the full K-1 resolution with the "best-in class" rendering, get this new lens.
If you cope for general use and/or compressed images, also not using that frequently ultra-wide apertures for ultra-crisp images, the DA* still keeps some arguments, even in FF mode (landscaping, mid-aperture portraits, …).

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-27-2018 at 03:06 PM.
07-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #696

Got mine this morning. I'm already ready for a 35mm or 28mm version. I think Ricoh should go that route immediately instead of the 85.

07-27-2018, 06:35 PM - 4 Likes   #697
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
You might be right - I don't know - but, being English myself, I know that some cultures - very much including my own - are prone to cautionary understatement, and that's how I read it.
Exactly. Exaggeration's crude and misleading, so I tend towards understatement. Also, I'm trying to be clear that that ranking is not proof of anything, just a positive indication that online sales are going well.

It's amazing how you can post something that seems overwhelmingly positive and wake up the next morning being called a "naysayer".

07-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #698

The lack of any way of physically adjusting the aperture on Kaf4 lenses is a major restrain on both older Pentax bodies as well as on other camera brands. With only electronic aperture control the lens will not appeal to a wide range of users. It is really dedicated to late model Pentax cameras.
07-27-2018, 07:27 PM - 2 Likes   #699
Veteran Member

The lack of any way of physically adjusting the aperture on Kaf4 lenses is a major restrain on both older Pentax bodies as well as on other camera brands. With only electronic aperture control the lens will not appeal to a wide range of users. It is really dedicated to late model Pentax cameras.
Pentax to the contrary finally leave the old prehistoric world to the 21 st century. Yes peoples who want to use old glass or new glass on old body will be left in the cold but for me they already have many choice of old glass. Too bad for you...
07-27-2018, 07:39 PM - 2 Likes   #700
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Pentax to the contrary finally leave the old prehistoric world to the 21 st century. Yes peoples who want to use old glass or new glass on old body will be left in the cold but for me they already have many choice of old glass. Too bad for you...
Exactly

A brand new K-S1 or K-50 can be purchased new for $400, and a used K-3 and K-3ii are pretty inexpensive right now which both have KAF4. If you prefer not to upgrade, there are plenty of APS-C lens options for any pre-2013 Pentax DSLRs.

Last edited by dcpropilot; 07-27-2018 at 07:58 PM.
07-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #701
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Exactly

A brand new K-S1 or K-50 can be purchased new for $400, and a used K-3 and K-3ii are pretty inexpensive right now which both have KAF4. If you prefer not to upgrade, there are plenty of APS-C lens options for any pre-2013 Pentax DSLRs.
I doubt many people will want to buy a $1,200 lens for a $400 K-S1.
07-27-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #702
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Probably not, but there are options.
07-27-2018, 08:45 PM - 3 Likes   #703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is kind of a disingenuous objection. I just don’t think there are very many people who would pay $1,200 for a fast fifty to use with a body older than a K-3. And what other brand of camera accepts K-mount lenses?

The first body to omit the aperture lever actuator or screw drive motor will signal Pentax has broken with the past, and it won’t happen any time soon.
07-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If only Pentax could offer a firmware update that would allow the camera to do a different "light show" depending on which lens you mount.
07-28-2018, 01:45 AM - 3 Likes   #705
Veteran Member

The goal of Pentax is to sell things. They won't create a lense for people who don't buy any new body because they use film, or old IstD.
At some point people have to realise that a legacy is great. But a company can't live in the past.

I'm very happy that Pentax create this amazing lense, and plan to create more. They made an incredible FF body. And an amazing KP body.
Future is forward, not in the "side mirror".