Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 12:35 AM   #871
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I compared it to the DA*55 in a few testshots and it is hard to find any difference from f/2.8 upwards in the center area. The 55 delivers the most pleasing rendering of all the lenses that I have used and I hope the new 50 continues to do that. Let‘s see.
Is there much difference when you use the aps-c crop for the 50 and 55?

08-17-2018, 03:54 AM   #872
Pentaxian

Original Poster
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av29582763
08-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #873

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suspect you might get some quite robust responses to this

No lens is perfect - especially when it's a zoom - and I know you know that, of course. In addition to Pentax, I shoot Sony A-mount, and even my Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM - perhaps the best lens I own - isn't perfect.

A Pentax-branded version of the later PZD model may have a place with K-1 users, but I doubt it would be particularly well-received, for the reasons already mentioned...
I dont... and i cant find the "reasons already mentioned"...
the 18-270 is no full frame... not wheather resistant... and despite not a screw-drive not really the fastest focusing brat in the classroom.
The 28-300 on the other hand...
Would be full-frame, weather resistant(all thumbs up ), and if i have to take a good guess... i would say PENTAX would do good to make every upcoming lens from now on as fast and as silent focussing as possible.

Those are my reasons, I mention here, why I think, a modern 28-300 FF lens would not only "have a place" but more likely : sell like hotcake...
(even if the price-tag would be 900 bucks, what would be 200-300 more than the actual Tammy PZD sells for)
08-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #874
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tellwill Quote
I dont... and i cant find the "reasons already mentioned"...

These were the "reasons already mentioned":

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
have very good light to shoot in (so I can stop down a bit), and the IQ is certainly nice enough within the "superzoom" class of lenses - but not without significant limitations, IMHO... especially where the older pre-PZD version is concerned.
The Tamron 28-300 (pre-PZD and PZD) needs to be stopped down somewhat for frame-wide sharpness, especially so at the longer end.

QuoteOriginally posted by tellwill Quote
the 18-270 is no full frame... not wheather resistant... and despite not a screw-drive not really the fastest focusing brat in the classroom.
The 28-300 on the other hand...
Would be full-frame, weather resistant(all thumbs up ), and if i have to take a good guess... i would say PENTAX would do good to make every upcoming lens from now on as fast and as silent focussing as possible.

Those are my reasons, I mention here, why I think, a modern 28-300 FF lens would not only "have a place" but more likely : sell like hotcake...
(even if the price-tag would be 900 bucks, what would be 200-300 more than the actual Tammy PZD sells for)
You and I will have to agree to differ

As I mentioned, I own both the non-PZD and PZD (dust & splash resistant) versions of the 28-300 in Sony A-mount which I use on full frame. They're OK optically... quite decent, even, given the huge focal length range... but neither is "great". Demand for the APS-C Pentax 18-270 (a Tamron design) wasn't high, so I doubt that a full frame version - even with limited weather resistance and silent but not-very-fast PZD - would sell any better.

I'm surprised that you'd be unimpressed with the DFA28-105 (given its reputation optically), yet be so positive about the Tamron 28-300, which is still limited at 28mm rather than the 24mm you wish for, and is more compromised optically. Still, we're all different, and I can respect your opinions even if I disagree with them

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-18-2018 at 03:54 AM.
08-18-2018, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #875
Pentaxian

I just saw this on the lens' flickr group: IMGP0010 | Pavel | Flickr

If that is going to sell it well. It is the internet after all.
08-18-2018, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #876
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I just saw this on the lens' flickr group: IMGP0010 | Pavel | Flickr If that is going to sell it well. It is the internet after all.

That won't sell lenses. The whole of one of the cat's eyes is in focus. What people want is a lens where only the pupil of one eye is sharp, with the rest of the frame a complete blur.
08-18-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #877
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That won't sell lenses. The whole of one of the cat's eyes is in focus. What people want is a lens where only the pupil of one eye is sharp, with the rest of the frame a complete blur.
The cat looks like an alien with only one eye in focus like that! Very sharp eyeball but I think stopping down may have left it looking like an actual cat!

08-20-2018, 11:26 AM - 3 Likes   #878
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is there much difference when you use the aps-c crop for the 50 and 55?
Short answer: Nope.
Long Answer:
- At f/1.4 there is a difference. But both are better than non-star lenses (what is to be expected). The closer to the Edge, the bigger the difference.
- At f/8 and Pixelshift ON, it is very hard to tell them apart. The 55 magnifies a little, so that helps compensate. A blind test would result in no difference imho. It is well within the margin of (human-)error.
- And for everything in between, just draw a line.
- The 55 pixelshifted at f/8 is sharper than the 50 non-pixelshifted (c.p.).
- The 50 is more robust in harsh light conditions.

Last edited by sbh; 08-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #879
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Short answer: Nope.
Long Answer:
- At f/1.4 there is a difference. But both are better than non-star lenses (what is to be expected). The closer to the Edge, the bigger the difference.
- At f/8 and Pixelshift ON, it is very hard to tell them apart. The 55 magnifies a little, so that helps compensate. A blind test would result in no difference imho. It is well within the margin of (human-)error.
- And for everything in between, just draw a line.
- The 55 pixelshifted at f/8 is sharper than the 50 non-pixelshifted (c.p.).
- The 50 is more robust in harsh light conditions.
Thanks for your work done.
08-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #880
pxt

I heard that APS-C is better if you use FF len, because use the better part of glass.
08-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

August is nearly over and still not a peep out of Tokina. I wonder what their excuse is?
08-26-2018, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #882
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
I heard that APS-C is better if you use FF len, because use the better part of glass.
Yes and no. Yes you're cropping the edges and corners which are usually the problematic parts of a lens, but what remains is being magnified more so you'll more readily see its flaws. If you use a lens with good resolving power then it's all positive.
08-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #883
Veteran Member

Discounted already in Finland. -20% off the price. It is actually tolerable now @ 1119€.
08-29-2018, 04:29 AM   #884

The new Electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism rather than the mechanical lever is a big step forward. ZK lenses had an electrical aperture pin that I don't think has ever been used. At this price surely you need a ,manual aperture ring to protect the investment in the future. This lens is more expensive than a good APC K model.
08-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #885
Forum Member

Has there been any other review of the lens yet? I've been scouring the internet daily but no reviews to be found anywhere.