Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #946
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I didn't really like the bokeh from the DA*55/1.4. Nice sharp lens though. One of my best photos was shot with it.
It's a great studio lens, the bad bokeh isn't important.
Full disclosure, Bill... I've never shot with the DA*55/1.4 myself... I've only read the (mostly) positive reviews of it. That's interesting about the out-of-focus rendering, though. Is it genuinely "bad", or just not nearly as good (understandably) as the superior-in-every-way D*FA50/1.4? It's somewhat subjective, of course, but bad bokeh is pretty much bad bokeh, unless the novelty factor comes into play.

The only K-mount AF 50s I own are the DA50/1.8 and FA50/1.4. Neither is amazing, yet both are good, IMHO, if used to their strengths. But they're a long way behind the DA*55/1.4, I'd guess, and completely different territory to the D*FA50/1.4...

03-03-2019, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Full disclosure, Bill... I've never shot with the DA*55/1.4 myself... I've only read the (mostly) positive reviews of it. That's interesting about the out-of-focus rendering, though. Is it genuinely "bad", or just not nearly as good (understandably) as the superior-in-every-way D*FA50/1.4? It's somewhat subjective, of course, but bad bokeh is pretty much bad bokeh, unless the novelty factor comes into play.

The only K-mount AF 50s I own are the DA50/1.8 and FA50/1.4. Neither is amazing, yet both are good, IMHO, if used to their strengths. But they're a long way behind the DA*55/1.4, I'd guess, and completely different territory to the D*FA50/1.4...
I guess what I see with the DA *55 is that it can get really circular highlights everywhere that can be quite distracting. This mostly wide open. Stopped down it is pretty decent, but the FA 77 is just a lot smoother and to my eyes the DFA *50 is as well.
03-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #948
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess what I see with the DA *55 is that it can get really circular highlights everywhere that can be quite distracting. This mostly wide open. Stopped down it is pretty decent, but the FA 77 is just a lot smoother and to my eyes the DFA *50 is as well.
Yup. That’s what I saw too. Kinda harsh bokeh and ugly halos that almost look like they came from a mirror lens.
03-04-2019, 09:17 PM - 4 Likes   #949
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
?

I find the DA*55 bokeh to be beautiful, with nine curved aperture blades. Vignettes less than the FA50, and one of the first guys to shoot the DFA* beside Kerrick James noted that you have to zoom in to tell the difference between the DFA* and the DA*. Doesn't stop me wanting one, though.

03-08-2019, 08:52 PM - 3 Likes   #950
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ayersliao Quote
8) The author in conclusion said, "K-1 ii is TOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. Shooting pace would be bothered and interrupted severely."
==> Hello? Are you reviewing the camera?
He probably also had lens corrections and what not turned on, slowing down the camera.

So, I think his review is similar to that by DPreview, both written by Pentax -haters.
Hanlon's razor: They are probably not hateful, just ignorant. Unfamiliarity with the equipment leads to an overwhelming feeling of dissociation (it's different to what they are used to) and hence severe under-appreciation.

The fact that DPReview didn't mention the groove at the front of the DA* 11-18mm/2.8 in their report doesn't mean they hate Pentax. They are just not very good at what they are doing.

Last edited by Class A; 04-01-2019 at 10:11 AM.
03-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #951
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I didn't really like the bokeh from the DA*55/1.4.
Same here.

In my view, the HD D-FA* 50/1.4's bokeh is leagues better.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I find the DA*55 bokeh to be beautiful, with nine curved aperture blades.
The aperture blades don't really influence bokeh. They influence how edgy "bokeh balls" look like, but the overall out-of-focus rendering quality is determined by the PSF (point spread function) of the lens.

It is of course a matter of taste -- some really love the funky bokeh of old Russian (based on Zeiss designs) -- but your sample photos show several areas where the DA* 55/1.4's bokeh can be described as "busy". It is easiest to see in the background of the last image of the dog where the cars don't look smooth due to doubling (or multiplication) of edges.

Again, bokeh assessment is subjective and one cannot be "wrong". All I'm saying is that if the goal is to have backgrounds as unobtrusive (smooth) as possible, the HD DF-A* 50/1.4 does a much better job.
03-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #952
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
8) The author in conclusion said, "K-1 ii is TOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. Shooting pace would be bothered and interrupted severely."
This lens and camera are not intended for speed contests. In most cases, the artist should be thinking more than s/he is shooting.

03-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #953
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It is easiest to see in the background of the last image of the dog where the cars don't look smooth due to doubling (or multiplication) of edges.
That's simply the distance to the objects, Class A, the DFA would deliver the same effect, even slightly more so since its focal length is 5mm shorter.

03-08-2019, 10:13 PM   #954
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The aperture blades don't really influence bokeh.
Of course they do!

03-08-2019, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #955
Pentaxian

the DFA would deliver the same effect,
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Until someone owning both lenses posts a comparison shot. Then you'll have to agree with me.

Of course they do!
We may have a different interpretation of the term "bokeh".

I'm not talking about the shape of "bokeh balls", i.e., the discs produced by heavily out of focus point sources.
The shape (outer perimeter) of these "bokeh balls" is of course determined by the aperture blades, if the lens is stopped down.

Wide open, however, the out-of-focus rendering of various lenses is still different (even when they share the same focal length and "lens speed") because the rendering of out-of-focus areas is determined by the optical formula, not by the number or shape of aperture blades.

When stopped down, the out-of-focus rendering of a lens may be slightly influenced by the number and shape of aperture blades, but the dominant factor will always be the point spread function of the lens (for reasonable levels of stopping down).

EDIT:
Here's an example of two different out-of-focus renderings of lenses (here Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 vs Pentax FA* 31/1.8):

(comparison provided by @Digitalis)

To my eyes, the DA* 55/1.4 renders more like the Sigma whereas the HD D-FA* 50/1.4 renders more like the FA* 31/1.8.

Last edited by Class A; 03-09-2019 at 02:57 AM.
03-09-2019, 03:06 AM   #956
Pentaxian

(...)

When stopped down, the out-of-focus rendering of a lens may be slightly influenced by the number and shape of aperture blades, but the dominant factor will always be the point spread function of the lens (for reasonable levels of stopping down).

(...)
Exactly. The Carl Zeiss Planar HFT 85mm f/1.4 has a smooth and pleasant bokeh, with gradual transitions between in-focus and out-of-focus areas (I did post some examples on Pentax Forums), yet its iris has a triangular shape.
03-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #957
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Until someone owning both lenses posts a comparison shot. Then you'll have to agree with me.

See for yourself, @Class A

http://m.slrclub.com/v/pentax_forum/407070

Once you get similar subjects and backgrounds instead of cherry picking - anyone can shoot a picture to discredit any lens - the results are also similar.
03-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #958
Veteran Member

Once you get similar subjects and backgrounds instead of cherry picking
Ideally, people would agree to shoot a consistently similar bokeh test scene with each lens, like for example photozone does. Eg:

Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM - Review / Test Report - Analysis

But that is never going to happen. Pity photozone has slowed its Pentax reviews to a stand-still.
03-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #959
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ideally, people would agree to shoot a consistently similar bokeh test scene with each lens, like for example photozone does. Eg:

Pentax SMC DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM - Review / Test Report - Analysis

But that is never going to happen. Pity photozone has slowed its Pentax reviews to a stand-still.
To be honest, unless the reviewer knows what they're doing (like Mike Tompkins at Image Resource or Bernard Dery at this forum), I'd rather a website did no review of a product at all.

Stick to 'news' of a new product - that's code for rewriting a company's press release.
03-24-2019, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #960
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is the sort of bokeh I see with the DA *55 at f2.5

And wide open

One more at f1.4

I wouldn't say that the out of focus rendering is terrible, it is just that it could be better and to my eyes is better with the older A 50 f1.2 and newer DFA *50. Some people like busy out of focus areas -- the Soligor seems to create these all of the time -- but I would rather have the background be smooth and not distracting and have nice transitions between in focus and out of focus.

But photography is one of those areas where people can look at photos and judge what they like and don't like for themselves.