Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 761 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 03:19 AM   #961
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bokeh is difficult to compare because it very much depends on the kind of background and distance. Some lenses producing harsh bokeh can also produce soft bokeh when the background is further away. Some lenses known for a soft bokeh also produce unpleasant bokeh when the background is part of the subject (such as oblique). Aperture blades do make a difference on bokeh balls, the trend is to prefer round bokeh balls of rounded blades , but I like some of the hexagons produced by old lenses.

03-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #962
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Bokeh is difficult to compare because it very much depends on the kind of background and distance. Some lenses producing harsh bokeh can also produce soft bokeh when the background is further away. Some lenses known for a soft bokeh also produce unpleasant bokeh when the background is part of the subject (such as oblique). Aperture blades do make a difference on bokeh balls, the trend is to prefer round bokeh balls of rounded blades , but I like some of the hexagons produced by old lenses.
AS I have mentioned before, my photography began as an adjunct to my interest in railroads, where the tradition is to use a fairly tight aperture to include the entire locomotive, train, or station {all of which are photographed obliquely and are fairly long} in the DoF - which is probably why I've never been interested in bokeh; to me bokeh has always been an unavoidable consequence of having to use a wider opening to get enough light on dim days.
03-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #963
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
AS I have mentioned before, my photography began as an adjunct to my interest in railroads, where the tradition is to use a fairly tight aperture to include the entire locomotive, train, or station {all of which are photographed obliquely and are fairly long} in the DoF - which is probably why I've never been interested in bokeh; to me bokeh has always been an unavoidable consequence of having to use a wider opening to get enough light on dim days.
Yes, you’d need extreme DoF to capture all of a Big Boy and tender obliquely in sharp focus.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2019 at 12:18 PM.
03-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #964
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Re 50mm

I bought it pretty much to support Pentax. Maybe the will go head and start with the 85 mm, next.
Terry

03-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #965
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wouldn't say that the out of focus rendering is terrible, it is just that it could be better and to my eyes is better with the older A 50 f1.2 and newer DFA *50. .
The scenes would have been similar if you'd photographed them with the DFA*50, Rondec, have a look at:

SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????
03-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #966
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The scenes would have been similar if you'd photographed them with the DFA*50, Rondec, have a look at:

SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????
Thanks for the link, Clackers. I am glad I decided to keep my DA* 55.
03-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #967
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for the link, Clackers. I am glad I decided to keep my DA* 55.
Well, I *want* a DFA*, Mike, but making do with the DA*55 in the meantime!

03-24-2019, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #968
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I had one for a brief time. It is, for sure, an excellent lens in every way but size. I was pleased with the images but not enough to keep it over the da* 55. Size and money were the main deciders. I am sure it bodes well for the 85 1.4.
03-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #969
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, you’d need extreme DoF to capture all of a Big Boy and tender obliquely in sharp focus.
Yes, this is the type of photo I'm talking about {although I probably would have stood farther from the tracks - giving a different angle}
Grand Canyon R.R., modern locomotive, Williams, AZ. - PentaxForums.com
In this case, the photographer used f/8 to get the entire train in focus - demonstrating why this discussion is so foreign to me.

Last edited by reh321; 03-24-2019 at 08:42 PM.
03-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #970
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, this is the type of photo I'm talking about {although I probably would have stood farther from the tracks - giving a different angle}
Grand Canyon R.R., modern locomotive, Williams, AZ. - PentaxForums.com
In this case, the photographer used f/8 to get the entire train in focus - demonstrating why this discussion is so foreign to me.
I saw that photo and I agree - I would have liked more of the train featured, though the composition is interesting . The point of the DA*50/1.4 is it can make the classic oblique locomotive record shot and isolate and promote a subject against a beautiful, soft background.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2019 at 09:11 PM.
03-24-2019, 09:03 PM - 2 Likes   #971
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I am sure it bodes well for the 85 1.4.
For the mock-up shown, I feel like the DFA85 will be too big and too expensive. Also, I'm looking for a 85mm lens that other brands and Sigma don't have, I would like to have an 85mm f1.0 under 450gr and under $500. And for me, the DFA*50 doesn't fit my needs, I much prefer 45mm focal length, 50mm is too narrow.

---------- Post added 25-03-19 at 05:07 ----------

Unfortunately, 55mm is an odd focal length. The equivalent of 85mm, is 56.5mm on apsc and not 55mm. I could never use the DA*55 1.4 because of not being a true 85mm equ. And on full frame 55mm is definitely not normal.
03-24-2019, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #972
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, 55mm is an odd focal length. The equivalent of 85mm, is 56.5mm on apsc and not 55mm.
(Laughs)
03-25-2019, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #973
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the mock-up shown, I feel like the DFA85 will be too big and too expensive. Also, I'm looking for a 85mm lens that other brands and Sigma don't have, I would like to have an 85mm f1.0 under 450gr and under $500. And for me, the DFA*50 doesn't fit my needs, I much prefer 45mm focal length, 50mm is too narrow.

---------- Post added 25-03-19 at 05:07 ----------

Unfortunately, 55mm is an odd focal length. The equivalent of 85mm, is 56.5mm on apsc and not 55mm. I could never use the DA*55 1.4 because of not being a true 85mm equ. And on full frame 55mm is definitely not normal.
I know what you are saying. I think the 77mm of the FA 77 is very nice on full frame, but I was never able to find a 51.3mm lens to emulate it on APS-C.

Of course, this isn't just a Pentax problem...
03-25-2019, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #974
Pentaxian

See for yourself, @Class A
Thanks for the pointer to the comparison.

However, it confirms what I thought. If the difference doesn't matter you, that's OK, but I could pick out the D-FA* 50 from the DA* 55 easily without looking at the labels. I didn't even see where the labels were at first and hence got a blind test for the first couple of comparisons. To me the difference is very obvious.

See what the DA* 55 does to the background of Rondec's cat shot or to the grass and wall in the background of the stone wall picture? It creates this false contour business that I find objectionable and others find attractive (and go all out with it with some Soligor or Zenit/Helios glass). Each to their own.

FWIW, false contours in background bokeh are the result of over-corrected spherical aberration. Either the lens designer wanted that effect or was forced to enter a compromise to achieve other design goals. But again, it's a matter of taste.

EDIT: Here's a comparison of the DA* 55's and the HD D-FA* 50 "bokeh balls" (screenshots from the comparison you provided a pointer to):
Attachment 445588Attachment 445587
The bright outer rings of the DA* 55's "bokeh balls" cause the "double lining"/"busy bokeh"/"false contours".
Notice how much smoother the HD D-FA* 50's "bokeh balls" are.

Last edited by Class A; 04-05-2019 at 02:47 AM.
03-25-2019, 04:01 AM   #975
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
FWIW, false contours in background bokeh are the result of over-corrected spherical aberration.
Does that mean that old lens designs that produce harsh bokeh were over corrected? Sounds strange.

Interesting info here about the design of bokeh optics.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/understanding-bokeh

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-25-2019 at 04:35 AM.