Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #1126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If the "K-3ii replacement" is as much of an improvement over K-3ii as implied, that might explain the two year gap in Pentax replacements - and we might see a return to the every year another new camera routine. Otherwise, we might have to get used to a slower pace.
There has been one camera launch per year for a few years:
  • 2016: K-1
  • 2017: KP
  • 2018: K-1 Mark II
  • 2019: GR III

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-19-2020 at 09:30 AM.
01-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #1127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
There has been one camera launch per year for a few years: 2016: K-1 2017: KP 2018: K-1 Mark II 2019: GR III
2016 : Full frame 36Mp
2017: Apsc 24Mp
2018: Full frame 36 Mp
2019: Apsc 24Mp
2020: Logical progression => Full frame 72Mpixels (2 x 36 = 72)
2021: Logical progression => Apsc 48Mp (2 x 24)
01-19-2020, 11:10 AM   #1128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't consider the GR III to be a Pentax camera so I wouldn't have included it. Same with the K-1 mk2; it's a mild tweak to an existing camera and definitely not a "new camera release".

Page or two back there's folks suggesting that the K-1 was supposed to end the succession of cameras in the K7/5/3 line; crop shooters would move to the KP or K-xx cameras. But we don't have the lenses to pull that off unless folks either want to shoot with DA lenses and deal with possible issues or else shop third-party, sometimes for lenses that are long out of production.

A Pentax camera release every 12 to 18 months seems fine with me. It would be nice if we had a pair of k-mount lenses released every year, depending on market forces and how the community is responding. I think there's supposed to be six lenses that are supposed to be released in the next year per the last lens roadmap. That'll be a very interesting situation if that comes true.

I really wonder how much net revenue they're making at this point on the 645 system at Ricoh. Feels like they either step up in a big way there or they walk away from that entirely like the Q.
01-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #1129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't consider the GR III to be a Pentax camera so I wouldn't have included it. (...)
The Ricoh GR III is obviously not a Pentax camera. However, it didn't design itself, it draw development resources from the Ricoh Imaging camera development team (from the lens development team too but it doesn't matter here), which is also in charge of designing Pentax cameras.

01-19-2020, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #1130
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A serious problem. Ummm.... No.
A perception problem? Absolutely, reason enough to move beyond solenoid aperture control.

FWIW your persistent drum beat of "oh, noes, K-70 solenoid failure!" with near zero evidence that it's actually a reasonable likelihood is not helpful. Still we do agree the sooner that little piece of hardware goes away the better.

Opinions are slow to change, and dealing with claims of this or that based on... Well whatever it is. Hey it happened to someone once, proof enough for you.

Changing the hardware will be easier than changing minds.

And why is this even being discussed in a thread about the HD DFA50?? Aren't there enough discussion threads about it already without taking over another one?
Have you been involved in any of these threads? Apparently not. Usually someone will say “I am getting dark images from my K-70” - to which some ‘helpful soul’ will suggest “Aperture Control”. Only then will I say “Before you jump to any conclusion, try actually watching the aperture”.
01-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #1131

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
2016 : Full frame 36Mp
2017: Apsc 24Mp
2018: Full frame 36 Mp
2019: Apsc 24Mp
2020: Logical progression => Full frame 72Mpixels (2 x 36 = 72)
2021: Logical progression => Apsc 48Mp (2 x 24)
Do you think the current crop of Pentax lenses would come close to the resolving power required to take advantage of a 72mp sensor? Not trying to be a downer but it seems to me that many Pentax and other manufacturers are bumping up against the optical limits of their lenses.
01-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #1132
Pentaxian

Page or two back there's folks suggesting that the K-1 was supposed to end the succession of cameras in the K7/5/3 line; crop shooters would move to the KP or K-xx cameras. But we don't have the lenses to pull that off unless folks either want to shoot with DA lenses and deal with possible issues or else shop third-party, sometimes for lenses that are long out of production.
When I first came here, the cry was “Give us a “FF” camera so that our older prime lenses will be themselves.” I believe someone could make the case that Pentax never expected to make a full set of DFA lenses.

01-19-2020, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #1133
Pentaxian

I don't consider the GR III to be a Pentax camera so I wouldn't have included it. Same with the K-1 mk2; it's a mild tweak to an existing camera and definitely not a "new camera release"
The GRRR probably required Pentax engineering help - right now I am hoping that is the reason behind the long gap in Pentax cameras.

If every "ii" camera is a "mild tweak" to the camera it follows, then you will have a big problem. The K-1ii" was viewed as a 'facelift' until people realized how much of a difference the 'accelerator' makes ..... and that is completely ignoring changes in focusing. I believe Pentaxians who don't see strength in the K-70, KP, K-1ii lineup don't see how much progress Pentax has made since I joined here - personally, I am looking forward to what they do next.
01-19-2020, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #1134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even more serious than age to the K-70 is aperture control failure. I believe Pentax needs to put K-n0 naming and solenoid controlled aperture control behind them in order to put aperture control failures behind them.
I wonder if in the long term Pentax discontinues the K-70 line completely and just continues with the KP and K-new. There won't be an "entry-level" APS-C, but it sure seems like camera brands are moving up scale. Not much money to be made on the bottom level of cameras.

When I first came here, the cry was “Give us a “FF” camera so that our older prime lenses will be themselves.” I believe someone could make the case that Pentax never expected to make a full set of DFA lenses.
I don't think this is accurate at all. Yes, Pentax felt that the gaps in their lens line up could be taken care of by older lenses in the short term, but they went through the process of filling out a lens development chart, complete with dates. Seems as though you wouldn't do that if you weren't planning to eventually make those lenses. And by all accounts, the DFA *85 and 70-200 f4 are coming this year.

I think as Kunzite has said, Pentax just has to "pay as they go" and so can't develop anything very quickly. It's a conservative way to operate a company, but one guaranteed not to lose a bundle of money either.
01-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #1135
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I consider the K1ii a facelift, though that takes nothing away from its capabilities.

The K3ii made more substantial hardware changes, I think.

As for lens resolution, I think there are very few lenses that would show no difference between a 36Mp and a 72Mp sensor, though I’ll admit that’s pretty low on my priority list.

-Eric
01-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #1136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Progress, certainly. "Great" is more debatable. APS-C sensors more or less plateaued 5 years ago after a decade of truly astounding gains. The only improvement.......
I referred to the fact that the new sensors have greatly improved the image quality at high ISO.
01-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #1137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
I referred to the fact that the new sensors have greatly improved the image quality at high ISO.
But they don't.

Have you seen sites like Photos to Photons? The dynamic range and SNR graphs are really minimally changed up to at least 12K, at which point it isn't very good for new or older sensors. Other than read out speed, still image quality has had minimal improvement over the last five years.
01-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #1138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

As for lens resolution, I think there are very few lenses that would show no difference between a 36Mp and a 72Mp sensor, though I’ll admit that’s pretty low on my priority list.

-Eric
Low on my priorities too. For web publication and 100% screen view on my computer I downsize my images to 3.1 MP (2158*1440)

The largest I print is 24"x16". At 300ppi that is 35MP

If anyone regularly needs larger than that they should be looking at MF, not 35mm equivalent.
01-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #1139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But they don't.

Have you seen sites like Photos to Photons? The dynamic range and SNR graphs are really minimally changed up to at least 12K, at which point it isn't very good for new or older sensors. Other than read out speed, still image quality has had minimal improvement over the last five years.
Maybe the sensors haven't, but the cameras have
Attached Images

01-19-2020, 06:55 PM   #1140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If every "ii" camera is a "mild tweak" to the camera it follows, then you will have a big problem.
I never suggested this. I suggested that the K-1 to K-1 mk2 transition was a mild set of tweaks vs. considering it a "new camera". I consider the K-5 to K-5 mk2 transition to be of greater weight than what was done with the K-1. Take every instance on its own merits and not some blanketing rule of thumb for all.