Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
While I think this lens will fill a gap in the lineup, I don't think I ever would choose this instead of the Sigma 10-20 F3.5 considering the expected price differences. Altough I rearly use ultra wide lenses.
I have the f/4-5.6 variant of the Sigma 10-20mm lens. I find myself using it more and more, because it gives me a much more intimate view of my subject.

06-29-2018, 06:06 AM   #47
LSR

I've been waiting for years just for them to announce this lens as an obvious gap in their lineup, what is a few more months really I suppose?
06-29-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #48
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
All this complaining is sad .... but not very funny. I am a retired engineer; I have experienced pressure to get something out "now", and I have seen my boss go to his bosses to tell them their timeline is unrealistic. Designing the lens is difficult; designing a reliable production process is difficult. Let them do their jobs properly!!
It's laughter through tears...
06-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The 70-200 f4 was the next FF lens on the roadmap. "Spring 2019 or later". I think we'll be lucky to see it any time in 2019. The wide and ultrawide primes just said "2019 or later". I expect no sooner than 2020. Maybe Ricoh will surprise me and somehow regain ground but I think they have a single team approaching these lens projects sequentially, where a delay in 1 lens pushes everything else further back.
Curious what the draw of the 70-200 f/4 is over there 60-250 with a baffle upgrade.

06-29-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

40,000!
06-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It will probably come out at the same time as the next APS-C camera...Or maybe around the same time my last batch of photos I uploaded to PPG is approved.
If early 2019, it would make sense to show off with a new APS-C flagship. Shame about the delay though, as I was looking forward to this lens. The D-FA 50 looks awesome, but I'm happy with the DA* 55 for now.
06-29-2018, 06:47 AM   #52
Pentaxian

CP+ 2019 or Photokina 2019?

06-29-2018, 06:49 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A combination of both is another possibility. Checking on stocks held by other distributors would be interesting, but selling out of the high-priced lenses was the thing that caught my eye. Hopefully, it means Ricoh is selling more of them than they anticipated, but it could be more with our distributor’s order than Ricoh’s production. I’d be surprised if any Pentax lens was on continuous production.
I surveyed Pentax lens availability at the major US online marketers. Sorting by price, highest to lowest, Every lens on your list (and every other premium lens) is available for purchase and immediate shipment.
06-29-2018, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Look on the bright side. Now they will have to launch a new camera @photokina or they will have nothing truly new to show.
06-29-2018, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Curious what the draw of the 70-200 f/4 is over there 60-250 with a baffle upgrade.
Maybe faster focusing on the 70-200. The 60-250 is optically very good. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is also an option; I don't want the extra weight and size for f2.8 but this one doesn't seem to heavy, still undecided whether noisier screwdrive AF is okay.

I don't want to derail this thread. PM me or tag me in a new thread if you want to talk more.
06-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well at least Pentax is giving us stuff to talk about
06-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Im not a future buyer of this lens but it is frustrating to see all thoses lens release date postponed.
It probably makes some employees at Ricoh Imaging very unhappy as well. Every division of Ricoh Company is under pressure to perform with a new CEO and a new strategic direction. Every delay is a black mark internally, another reason for Ricoh management to not invest more capital in the Imaging division. So they are limited to developing and industrializing a single lens design at a time and upgrading a single camera body at a time.

Given today's market for photographic equipment, that pace of new product introduction is probably sustainable, keeping a stable level of interest in the product lines that can also be profitable, but delaying new products must have a detrimental effect on profits. On the other hand, an unsuccessful new product launch will be just as detrimental to profitability, with no capacity to recover by moving forward the launch of other new products to compensate. Management has to walk a tightrope.

The other thought that I have is that revising the lens roadmap on the same day as finally announcing the launch of the D-FA * 50 is no coincidence. The Pentax lens development team is using the release of this lens to buy some time to continue working on the other projects, but it is to be seen how much longer they can miss planned new product launch dates and still get paid to develop new products.
06-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I surveyed Pentax lens availability at the major US online marketers. Sorting by price, highest to lowest, Every lens on your list (and every other premium lens) is available for purchase and immediate shipment.
In that case, it seems that our distributor is holding back. Thanks.
07-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
All this complaining is sad .... but not very funny. I am a retired engineer; I have experienced pressure to get something out "now", and I have seen my boss go to his bosses to tell them their timeline is unrealistic. Designing the lens is difficult; designing a reliable production process is difficult. Let them do their jobs properly!!
Absolutely it is a bummer... I would rather have it right than be a beta tester for them. Fact of the matter remains I am glad Ricoh is pushing forward. I bet it will be shown on a Pentax new crop flagship next year. I think it will likely be the featured lens with the new camera. Fingers crossed for it to be available as a kit! I would rather have it right than fast.
07-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am not so sure that the delay is a complete black mark for the imagining division. These are complex devices and Ricoh has clearly set its sights on quality. The delay may, in fact, be in accord with the company goals. Sony, Nikon, Canon etc have all had embarrassing recalls which they all must want to avoid whenever possible. I think it is most likely a sign of the determination to be a high quality brand.