Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #136
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My daughter, who does drink the stuff {I don't .... but I do eat donuts}, says that Dunkin' gets increasingly worse as you get increasing far from Boston.
It was never good. I do not understand anyone thinking that Dunkin is good coffee. Timmy's was just mediocre but they made good soup and sandwiches at lunch. then they closed all the franchises here and put all the employees out of a job with no notice. Just said give us your uniform and "buh bye."

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Yes, I have been roasting coffee for my own use for many years. I only roast in batches enough to last me about one week. I prefer Papua New Guinea peaberry coffee.

(Peaberry - Wikipedia)

Roasted correctly, this coffee is smooth but full bodied with a slight chocolatey taste. The problem is commercial roasters don't pay enough attention to this bean, it roasts quite differently because the beans are small and round. Consequently they over roast and burn the beans. After roasting the beans have to cool down and rest for some some 10 hours before brewing. I use a commercial burr coffee grinder and grind for every cup. The machine I use is the Italian made Vibiemme Domobar Junior.

Now you got the full story. How is that for going off topic in a big way
I get my chocolatey finish with my Kenya AA French roast that my local guy roasts in 28 and 32 pound batches. The wife loves the Tanzanian Peaberry. I am also a fan of Ethiopian coffees since that is where the plant originated.

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 09:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Dunkin popped up like weeds here in Colorado a few years ago and all the east coast transplants rejoiced...not sure what the appeal is in dry, bland doughnuts that are often days old. Worst doughnuts outside a grocery store.
My big grocery chain stores that are too small to have their own actual bakery, get their donuts from a small local chain and they are actually very good. Much better than Dunkin.

08-06-2018, 11:24 PM - 4 Likes   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
It was never good. I do not understand anyone thinking that Dunkin is good coffee. Timmy's was just mediocre but they made good soup and sandwiches at lunch. then they closed all the franchises here and put all the employees out of a job with no notice. Just said give us your uniform and "buh bye."

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 08:54 PM ----------

I get my chocolatey finish with my Kenya AA French roast that my local guy roasts in 28 and 32 pound batches. The wife loves the Tanzanian Peaberry. I am also a fan of Ethiopian coffees since that is where the plant originated.

---------- Post added 07-12-18 at 09:01 PM ----------

My big grocery chain stores that are too small to have their own actual bakery, get their donuts from a small local chain and they are actually very good. Much better than Dunkin.
I havenít read all the back posts, but saw the coffee references. Gotta say, I appreciate the love for local roasters. Iíve been roasting at home for more than 15 years, and thereís nothing that touches it. My neighborhood roaster is excellent (Bird Rock Coffee), and I use them when I forget to roast, but a home roasted blend of Central American beans with some Ethiopian Harar or Sidamo pulled ristretto will serve me til the day I die.
08-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #138
pxt

Lavazza is good coffe for phogoraphers from Europe
09-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dunkin Donhts is like White Castle (Crystal in the South). Every time you go there you swear it will be the last time. Then some kind of weird craving short circuits your long-term memory and you do it all again*. The only more irrational behavior is stopping at Krispy Kreme.

* My wife came home with a DD Long John in a little bag this morning.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-03-2018 at 02:16 PM.
09-03-2018, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I havenít read all the back posts, but saw the coffee references. Gotta say, I appreciate the love for local roasters. Iíve been roasting at home for more than 15 years, and thereís nothing that touches it. My neighborhood roaster is excellent (Bird Rock Coffee), and I use them when I forget to roast, but a home roasted blend of Central American beans with some Ethiopian Harar or Sidamo pulled ristretto will serve me til the day I die.

finally, an off topic rant i can comment on!

same here... been roasting for 10ish years. all coffee outside the house is garbage, i wish that wasn't true! even if i buy the cheapest, most nondescriptive green beans, it is still way beyond any coffee i can buy anywhere. often overlooked is good half and half, a good sugar.

that said, i will still happily drink coffee at any greasy egg diner.
09-03-2018, 11:04 PM   #141

Should I start new thread on Pentax tea culture? (not the party!
09-03-2018, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Should I start new thread on Pentax tea culture? (not the party!
Please do - nothing beats a good Assam!

Just think of the level of detail Pentaxians could go into with the tea-making process - the British would be split between the "pot warmers" and the "bag in a cup" brigade, over the pond there be a range of opinions including "Tea - Why would you?" and from the rest of the world......

....bring it on
09-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boy talk about getting off-topic. I do believe Stiftungwarentest also evaluates tea and coffee, but not donuts - since they are a North American phenomenon. Getting back on subject, I have not read one other glowing review/ evaluation of the Sony A99 mk.II, especially one that would say that is better than a Nikon D850, Pentax K1, Nikon D810, or Canon 5D mkIV in any area, so my final conclusion is, Stiftungwarentest are Sony Fanboys to the max!